Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Verizon USB 760 card & Ultimate Edition 2.8

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Verizon USB 760 card & Ultimate Edition 2.8

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 am

So I have a new laptop for a clients wife. It is a acer timelinex 13.3 inch 3820T series.

I have installed Ultimate edition 2.8 x64 on it.

Now I have read that the verizon USB 760 broadband card will work with some modification.

But 1 of the files needing modification was empty. (cd rules)

Now I have not received the card for testing just yet, it will be here Friday so I can have it working before I ship out the laptop to them.

I thought I should start the thread now so I can get good feedback on how to make it work before it gets here.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Re: Verizon USB 760 card & Ultimate Edition 2.8

Postby Moebius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 am

Hi pc-trends,
I am not familiar with the modem but I noticed you mentioned cd rules. Down here, we have broadband 'sticks' which plug into your USB port and away you go. These sticks also double as a thumb drive which contain Windows drivers. The issue with *buntu is that when you plug it in, it sees it as a drive and not a modem. My understanding is that cd rules tells *buntu that it doesn't want the item automounted as a drive but instead to look at it as a peripheral.
Now I've never used cd rules, I worked around the issue by plugging the modem in, waiting for the icon to appear on the desktop, right click the icon and chose eject. Waited for a few seconds and presto, the modem was identified. I believe cd rules may alleviate the need for choosing eject. I apologise if this is wrong, just a blind guess - please take it as such.

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 am

For the record the Verizon USB 760 mobile broadband card works out of the box with out any modification of any kind on Ultimate Edition 2.8.

Plug it in, wait 20 to 25 sec. Setup your connection for the first time. Wait 20 sec more and your set.

Once setup. Plug in wait 25 sec, click verizon connection. Wait 20 more sec and your ready to rock.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby jshuford » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 am

pc-trends wrote:For the record the Verizon USB 760 mobile broadband card works out of the box with out any modification of any kind on Ultimate Edition 2.8.

Plug it in, wait 20 to 25 sec. Setup your connection for the first time. Wait 20 sec more and your set.

Once setup. Plug in wait 25 sec, click verizon connection. Wait 20 more sec and your ready to rock.

I agree... I had recently installed two of them on client laptops and it was too easy!
Intel 8088 CPU @ 4.77 MHz 10MB Seagate ST-412 HDD,128kB RAM

"I don't know anything about anything...I will however steer you wrong if you like"
jshuford
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to Hardware