Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

canot boot laptop after inasalling ultimate on a usb hardriv

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

canot boot laptop after inasalling ultimate on a usb hardriv

Postby bikerjr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:24 pm

ok i have a packard bell easynote tj64 laptop and bought a 500gig usb hardrive. i partitioned the usb drive and ran the live dvd to install ultimate ubuntu on the usb drive. when i installed ultimate i must have done it so that windows and ultimate would run together. after installing it i re booted with the usb drive attached and hay presto it came up with the grub menu so that i could run ultimate or windows 7 with the usb drive pluged in. when i unpluged the usb drive and started the laptop up on its own the bios could not detect the internal hardrive in the laptop. so the only way i can now start windows is to have the usb drive pluged in. please help have i over writen the mbr on the internal drive :o thanks john
bikerjr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: canot boot laptop after inasalling ultimate on a usb har

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello bikerjr and welcome to the U.E Forum.

First you need to fixmbr on your laptop.
then you have to install in U.E the package of MOUNT MANAGER.
it is not likely that you format the mbr on your laptop if you have install it on the USB Drive.
From the other hand,if you say that you have install the USB Drive and it hooks the laptop then yes.
The mbr was written in Grub to get your MS hook to the Grub.
Just Disconnect the USB Drive from the laptop,then insert the MS CD/DVD and make the fixmbr to the ms.
This will fix the BOOT on the laptop.
Admin-Amir

Postby bikerjr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:23 pm

hi thanks for the quick responce, were do i find MOUNT MANAGER and when u say ms cd/dvd is that the microsoft cd as the recovery for windows 7 is on the internal hardrive.
bikerjr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:30 pm

bikerjr wrote:hi thanks for the quick responce, were do i find MOUNT MANAGER and when u say ms cd/dvd is that the microsoft cd as the recovery for windows 7 is on the internal hardrive.

For mount manager just go to
System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
and search for mountmanager
select it and mark it for installation and click apply.
And yes. MS cd/dvd is the windows recovery cd or dvd. But when you say it's on the hard drive I can only assume you mean the recovery partition.
First thing you should always do with windows these days is to create the recovery cd's or dvd's. I'll find the link to the free recovery download that should work fine for repairing the MBR.
Here it is. Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby wiliamsmith10 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:40 am

Hey nice information. i faced same problem with my dell laptop.
and i follow the step and my problem will be solved.
wiliamsmith10
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby tomdesile » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:33 am

Hey can any one help me I try all this things and still my pc not working. before 1 day I try to install ultimate and now pc not start.
tomdesile
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 pm

tomdesile wrote:Hey can any one help me I try all this things and still my pc not working. before 1 day I try to install ultimate and now pc not start.

Since the original poster was installing to an external USB drive we need to know if you are doing the same thing, or are you installing to the internal hard drive?
Are you dual booting. Is Ultimate Edition the only operating system on the pc, or does it have windows as well?
Please give us a little more information so we can give you the right instructions for your situation.
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Return to Hardware