Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with two hardware issues please!

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Help with two hardware issues please!

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Hello! Since late December I've been using Ubuntu 9.10, and was hardcore about getting rid of windows altogether. Unfortunately, in all that time, I was unable to get my sound working properly, and my dvd drives have problems also. A buddy told me about Ultimate, thinking it might fix my issues automatically because of the enhanced features and added content. I formatted and did a complete install two days ago, and I'm still having the same problems. My main focus is Blender, GIMP, and games, and I like to listen to music while I work. I got some advice from the ubuntu forums, but nothing helped. Here's what I'm dealing with:

1)Sound: I have Realtek audio on the motherboard, which played music and ran audio from videos great, but I had NO sound in games. On a piece of advice, I disabled the onboard audio and put in my old 3 year old SB Audigy. Then I started getting sound in games, but all of my sound from games, music players, movies, or anything with sound from the web started having issues of distorted cutting out. Basically, I have sound for about a minute, then it garbles, and I lose all sound. When this happens during a video, the app playing the video locks up. When this happens during a game, the game still plays great (silently), but when I try to exit or quit, the game will lock up. On another piece of advice, I installed everything in Synaptic that had to do with Pulseaudio, which had NO change. It's very frustrating! I was going to turn the onboard audio back on and remove the Audigy, hoping to at least get music working again, but in the ubuntu forums I was told the Audigy should work much better since it has better linux support. Shortly after that, I was told it shouldn't matter which audio I run, it should just work. It doesn't.

2)dvd-roms: I have a DVD reader and a DVD burner. When I go to System>computer it shows two icons for cd/dvd drives. However, only the burner will read discs. Both will open and close, and both will spin up and flash the light, but only the burner actually makes anything happen. I can use data, audio, and movie dvds, but of course after a minute or so of running audio or video the sound will chop and player will lock up. Anyway, I got a response to check my slave/master jumpers, and they are correct, and the drives both appear as they should in the bios. Even though the burner will read, if I try to burn a disc whatever burning software I use will say it can't find a burning device.

In the few months I was running ubuntu steady, I was trying to install/uninstall some audio package or third-party driver at least once a week. I tried uninstalling alsa and pulse, and reinstalling one or the other, and being new I'm pretty sure I screwed things up beyond repair. I have minimal knowledge of the terminal, but I'm getting better. As of today I have a brand new install of Ultimate Edition 2.3. The only changes I made to anything were adding two games, smb4k (so I could access my network HDD), and getting my internet working. I have made no serious changes to anything yet. Can anyone tell me what I can do from a fresh install to MAYBE make these items work? And please, if you respond, treat me like a noob. Thanks in advance for your time and any help!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Help with two hardware issues please!

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:17 am

Hello shadowcrunch & welcome to the U.E Forum.

To solve all problems one process,you will have to work with all 3 Mixers on one Desktop.
And to configure all the Mixers to work.
Now the First part for you to do is to follow my Guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3565

After you have install all the packages that I have post on the Guide,
you need to Restart your machine - End of part one of the process.
Second part on the process is how to work with the Mixers:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4036&p=45494&hilit=mixers#p45494
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4036&p=44310&hilit=Mixer+pulse#p44310

screenshotd.png

screenshotek.png

snapshot1.png

screenshot_001.png
screenshot_001.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 7700 times

you will have to add from Ubuntu Tweak the - Ububtu restricted extra +from the 3 party option,
add the source of Medidbuntu - and Refresh Ubuntu Tweak.
This will get you the ALL codecs Needed for the supporting your players.
# aacgain
# aacplusenc
# acroread-fonts
# alsa-firmware
# amrnb
# amrwb
# app-install-data-medibuntu
# apport-hooks-medibuntu
# gizmo5
# googleearth-data
# googleearth
# hot-babe
# ices
# libamrnb3
# libamrnb-dev
# libamrwb3
# libamrwb-dev
# libavcodec-extra-52
# libavcodec-unstripped-52
# libavdevice-extra-52
# libavdevice-unstripped-52
# libavfilter-extra-0
# libavfilter-unstripped-0
# libavformat-extra-52
# libavformat-unstripped-52
# libavutil-extra-49
# libavutil-unstripped-49
# libdvdcss2
# libdvdcss-dev
# libpostproc-extra-51
# libpostproc-unstripped-51
# libswscale-extra-0
# libswscale-unstripped-0
# medibuntu-keyring
# non-free-codecs
# realplayer
# rmconverter
# w32codecs
# w64codecs

OR some work around for you in the terminal - copy & past the command (ALL in ONE)+Enter.

Code: Select all
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Then add the this command +Enter:

sudo apt-get --yes install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu

OR One more way to add the Repo to your source list that you can do :

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
+Enter+root pass

Then go down to the bottom of the page and Enter - copy and past the source:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free

Then add the keys for the source:

sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
+Enter.

Then Update & Upgrade your system with:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

NOW - after you have done all the above parts,
please DO the next step of cleaning the old Kernels and all the old packages from your system,
copy & past in the terminl the next commands:

First action.

wget Http://www.opendesktop.org/CONTENT/content-files/71529-ubucleaner.sh

Second action password using "Root" user.

sudo chmod +x 71529-ubucleaner.sh

A third action - cleaning process is done at this time.

sudo ./71529-ubucleaner.sh

About music on the net - you will have to install plug in in the name of:

Mediaplayerconnectivity. in FireFox, and you have to follow the wizard ,
The wizard will get the MPlayer to work as your Default player on the net.

for your issue with the Games,
Please follow my Guide on "wine".
And configure "wine" like you see on the Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3785
The last part will be the Impotent step to stable your system&get it to work fine for you,
it will Delete the old Kernels that you do not need any more , and the old packages from your system.

After the (long)process you will have all the option that you have mention on your post working Great for you.

Hope I cover all your Questions (ALL in ONE).
Welcome to the U.E Forum shadowcrunch.
Admin-Amir

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Hello! I realise it's been a while, but my work schedule has been nuts. I finally got around to working on my Ultimate Edition problems, and I can happily say my sound is working flawlessly! Thank you thank you thank you! I can listen to music while watching a youtube video, while playing a game in a window!

That said, I'm still having dvd drive issues, and I almost believe it's getting worse. Where before one drive mounted but the other didn't, now the one that wouldn't mount still doesn't....BUT the one that would mount now goes in spurts. One day it will mount music CDs and movie DVDs, next day it won't auto mount the same music CD, it will mount the same DVD, and it will mount a PC-DVD game disc and even install it with wine....couple days later nothing will work except a PC-CD! I'll reboot and suddenly just the music CD will mount.

Bottom lines of fstab used to be:
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Based on something from the ubuntu forums I switched the udf and iso9660, then added another dev/scd so it now looks like:
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 iso9660,udf user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660,udf user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Again, mostly a noob, so I'm sure I screwed something up here. I will say before I did this I could only eject one drive with terminal, and can now eject both. I also read somewhere that these drive issues are part of the ubuntu 9.10 system, and MAYBE it will be sorted out when 10 comes out. Any rom drive gurus out there know some way I can get both drives working properly? Again, thanks in advance!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm

shadowcrunch wrote:Bottom lines of fstab used to be:
/dev/scd1       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Based on something from the ubuntu forums I switched the udf and iso9660, then added another dev/scd so it now looks like:
/dev/scd1       /media/cdrom0   iso9660,udf user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   iso9660,udf user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Hi shadowcrunch,

First see the fact that you have BOTH cd drives with the same (mount point) location assignment of cdrom0:
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 iso9660,udf user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Change the position and assignment of the second one to cdrom1 since they can't BOTH be cdrom0 and sdc0 should be before sdc1 like this (the rest is the same since you said it worked before that way):

/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 iso9660,udf user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

See how that works out for you. If you still have an issue try moving udf to the position before iso9660 like this

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

And I'm no guru and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you set it to auto instead of udf, iso9660 it will read the format automatically. Also if the drive can burn discs it should be set to rw (read write) or ro (read only) for one that's not a burner like this:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 auto ro,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby shadowcrunch » Fri May 07, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks again! I will jump on this in the morning. Wife is sleeping across the room and me opening and closing drives is probably a bad idea right now. :) Through all of the ubuntu forums I read (been trying to fix this since January on Ubuntu 9.10), there was never any mention of the 'ro' or 'rw' tags. Makes sense and explains a lot!

That's probably my biggest gripe with ubuntu or ultimate ed. Having just switched over recently, almost everything I try gives me that noob feeling. With windows I was always a "Mr. Fix-it," and back in the DOS days I could completely rewrite the startup COM and BAT files in a few minutes from scratch, no notes or anything, just to get a game to run properly! Now I have a new directory structure (sort of), new commands, new places to lose important files! Hopefully someday soon I can be on the helping end!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby shadowcrunch » Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 am

Okay, here's the two lines from my current fstab:
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto ro,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Just successfully ran an audio cd, dvd movie, and installed a windows game, all on scd1.

scd0 still spins the disc up, but will NOT access anything. It won't recognize any disc, even an empty. I did find a nice site that explains what the rest of the tags/labels in fstab can be set to and why you would want to change them. Oh, I should add I can eject the drive by button or terminal all I want...just no disc access. Was thinking maybe this drive just isn't 100% compatible, but another forum elsewhere said if the drive isn't compatible it won't even power up. I should also add that both drives worked perfectly under windows, so I know the drive isn't shot.
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 am

If you can....and maybe I missed it...download 2,6,,,,awesum ;)
I do have a package of Litescribe LG DVD 25 count...and three different Optical drives wont read them... :?
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:29 pm

shadowcrunch wrote:Okay, here's the two lines from my current fstab:
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto ro,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

You could try removing the utf8 from the drive that's not working right. I'm far from being real experienced with it but utf8 is a character set and I don't know why it would be needed there. Seems to me that would be forcing it when the disc may not be set to it. So it would be like this:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto ro,user,noauto,exec 0 0

Other than that check the connections. Some drives have a pin you can change on the back for Master, cable select or slave. You might check it to make sure it's set like it should be. The chances are slim that it wont work right with Ultimate Edition but it is a possibility. I have had one with similar issues and I swapped it with an external usb dvd burner and never had an issue since.

You should be using either the terminal or the eject next to the drive icon in nautilus to eject that way the system has a chance to properly unmount them. Think of it as the safely remove hardware in windows.

Don't feel bad. I used windows and just like you did all those things in it and DOS before finally making the move to linux and there's nothing wrong with that. You'll find that things work different but it's a good thing.
Everyone was a beginner at some time. I still consider myself one. The forum community is here to help.

cowboy wrote:I do have a package of Litescribe LG DVD 25 count...and three different Optical drives wont read them... :?

I suspect you got a burnt batch there. I only buy writable dvd's and cdr's in the Winter or Spring. It may sound nuts but I know how hot it gets in a semi trailer during the Summer (put in about a million miles in them). It's just starting to warm up here in the states so I would go get the same set now and return those in a couple days simply telling them the truth that they wont work. I don't buy LG, they lost me with their phones.

I see you're in Phoenix so yeah you should know what I mean. NO real winter there. :lol:

The manufacturers know and expect this to happen from time to time.
There's nothing wrong with doing this, you paid for a product that works and should receive just that. You're not cheating them but if you keep them you're being cheated.
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby shadowcrunch » Fri May 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Phoenix...that would be nice. I'm in Northeast Wisconsin. Had 70s last week and now we're in a snow advisory for tonight!

Anyway, off to try the things you both mentioned...later!

****EDIT****
Quick thought...the whole concept of downloading 2.6 (or any other version)....Do I uninstall the old one? Format completely? Is it possible to just install over the top of the old version and save what's on my hard drive now?
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:08 pm

shadowcrunch wrote:Phoenix...that would be nice. I'm in Northeast Wisconsin. Had 70s last week and now we're in a snow advisory for tonight!

Anyway, off to try the things you both mentioned...later!

****EDIT****
Quick thought...the whole concept of downloading 2.6 (or any other version)....Do I uninstall the old one? Format completely? Is it possible to just install over the top of the old version and save what's on my hard drive now?

You can just install it over the old one. I always use the manual partitioning option in the installer and re-format.

You should backup anything you don't want to lose. Another option is to upgrade by inserting the livedvd while running Ultimate Edition but I prefer clean installs.

You can backup home and restore it after a clean install. I use QuickStart for that. Just be sure it's the first thing you do before opening firefox after installing. Save it to a usb flash drive and install it then restore home then do what you want to. You can get it here and more info on installing and using it.
http://www.quickstart.freeforums.org
<BREW>
2hot6ft2

Next

Return to Hardware