Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

need help with proprietary drivers for ati

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

need help with proprietary drivers for ati

Postby diablo10000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm

my wife has a gateway laptop with an ati radeon express 200M, and i'm having trouble in stalling it on her system. when i open the "play on linux" it says that there isn't a 3-D accelerator enabled. i've downloaded the driver from ati and the instructions to install it but it says to login as a super user in terminal. how do i go about logging in as a super user, i haven't setup a super user acct. and when i type a password for it nothing is being typed in the terminal. if i could login as a super user i might be able to install the driver from ati. i would appreciate any input available.

cheers <BREW>
diablo10000
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: need help with proprietary drivers for ati

Postby Time » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 pm

diablo10000 wrote:my wife has a gateway laptop with an ati radeon express 200M, and i'm having trouble in stalling it on her system. when i open the "play on linux" it says that there isn't a 3-D accelerator enabled. i've downloaded the driver from ati and the instructions to install it but it says to login as a super user in terminal. how do i go about logging in as a super user, i haven't setup a super user acct. and when i type a password for it nothing is being typed in the terminal. if i could login as a super user i might be able to install the driver from ati. i would appreciate any input available.

cheers <BREW>

Just type sudo (your command) then it will ask you for your password type it in and press enter.

It will look like you aren't typing anything when you put in the password but it is there <BREW>
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
AMD fx 8120
Ati 7970 video card
2 90 gig ocz ssd raid 0 (Windows 7)
Western Digital SATA3 3 tb
Corsair f115 sata 2 ssd (for Ultimate edition)
16 GiGs DDR3
Time

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby diablo10000 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 pm

ok i'll try it thanx for the quick response, if i have anymore problems i'll let yall know

ULTIMATE EDITION 4 LIFE <BREW>
diablo10000
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Revro » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:16 pm

hello i have following question.

i have currently radeon 9700 pro on my Ultimate Edition 2.5. linux version of urban terror goes perferkt 50-60+fps, but in wine i.e. ragnarok online goes very slow, maybe 5 fps.

anyway i am thinking about a new card, but it should be agp and should not take a lot of power from my power source so it probably means radeon 3450. do i have to uninstall something or just switch the cards and afterwards install via envy?

Thank you
Seeding:
ubuntu-ultimate-1.4-cd
Home Desktop1: W7HP64 - C2D E7500, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Ati Radeon 5750 1GB
Home Desktop2: UUE2.5 - P4 3,0GHz, 1GB RAM, 2x80GB HDD, Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
Home Desktop3: UUE1.7 - P3 733MHz, 384MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Ati AIW 128
Home Notebook: WXP Home - Celeron 2,6GHz, 1GB RAM, 30GB HDD, Ati Radeon9000
Work Notebook: WXP Pro - Centrino 1.7GHz , 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Intel Graph.Card
Revro
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.5 32 BIT

Postby red_team316 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:11 pm

Can anyone else comment on the quality or hassle involved with ATI proprietary drivers? Acceptable 3D performance?
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby cowboy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Have run both ATI and Nvidia....not a real big choice for me...
Revro...by some slim chance are you running in Compiz when you are in Wine...? You will suffer performance if you are in any Games or Graphics....when in Compiz..;)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver here is some reading
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God