Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Gnome-shell in 3.2

Gnome-shell in 3.2

Postby Billie Cowie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi everybody/anybody,
Reading between the lines of various posts it seems some people have Gnome-shell and some ( like me ) don't.
If you are one of the former could you please post a reply and tell us how you got it?
What did you/didn't you do?
For example, did you install with ethernet cable attached or via wireless?
Did you adjust any settings-compiz/Ubuntu-tweak, etc and how?
Did you update while installing or not bother, or update after installing?
Did you update/upgrade aptitude via the terminal, etc,etc.
Anything that would give us a pointer in the right direction would be helpful, including whether 32bit or 64bit.
Thanks in advance guys!
I am going to do a fresh install later in the week when I am less busy after deleting existing 3.2 partition.This time I will try with ethernet wire attached and see what happens so if no-one gets back to me first I'll get back to you and let you know how things work out.Until then,-Happy trails! :lol:
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Re: Gnome-shell in 3.2

Postby pch.shot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I'm a wired guy, myself.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby drewstew » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 am

Billie - Did a full install, updates the lot, with wired ethernet. As you'll see from my post below, not without problems - I've got the Gnome classic desktop, but the desktop was pure Ubuntu, and none of the buttons on the panel from the Live DVD appeared. The programs are there though, so I've gradually brought it back to Thee's look. My desktop is picking up backgrounds from the usr/share/backgrounds folder, but the Ultimate Edition eyecandy is to be found in the usr/share/wallpapers folder.
Making an assumption here -like we always did in school - greetings from a fellow Scot!
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:11 am

Hi drewstew,
you are right-I'm a Scot and I used to live in St Marychurch,Torquay too so I know Devon quite well. I loved it down there but jobs were very hard to come by, so here I am in Lancashire. Thanks for the info -I'll try a fresh install via wired in a day or two. :lol:
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby jonathanbruce » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

Hello guys and girls!!

Great fan of Ultimate Edition..... but not a fan of gnome... however this x64 editiion makes it bareable, so its a win win situation.. I'm might not be able to fully customize it to how i want it to look, but the functionality of it beats any other distro hands down!!. well done everyone!
:mrgreen:
**Linux-pc** PhenomII x6 @ 3.2
16GB DDR1333 RAM, Radeon 6770 x2, PCIE Revodrive3 120gb x2,
**MacbookPro 13" Feb 2011 8gb ram, 240gb ssd **
** Win7 - pc ** Bulldozer FX8150 @ 3.6
16GB DDR1333 RAM, Radeon 6770 x2, PCIE Revodrive3 120gb x2
jonathanbruce
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby n3wbuntu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm

drew-
on your recent install, you were able to log into the gnome-shell and gnome classic? And did you change window manager to metacity? When I log into gnome-shell I just get a wallpaper, so I just run gnome-shell --replace and I'm good to go for the rest of the session! <BREW>
n3wbuntu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Dapper Drake

Postby drewstew » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Billie - I'm a sad b.... My guilty secret is I have 3 personal computers. The 3rd is an Emachines ER1402 which is hooked up to my TV so I can stream BBC iPlayer through it. Anyway, I've been running Pinguy on that, but thought I'd give a UE3.2 installation a go. Wiped the HD entirely to do a clean install over a wireless connection. Ultimate Edition picked up the network on the Live CD and I was away.
The installation was PERFECT, and on rebooting, the new OS automatically connected to the network.
If you read my post below, you'll see one of the issues I had was resuming after a "Suspend". Well the one glitch was that I had the same issue here, but the same solution. Another NVidia card, and by changing the proprietary driver from 173 to plain Nvidia "recommended" the Suspend/Resume problem is sorted. Hope this helps.
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Drewstew,
I reinstalled using Wired twice, once with out updates-same problems. deleted partition and reinstalled with wire and updates- now I have different problems. I can get a glimpse of Gnome-shell by typing gnome-shell --replace-was that your tip or someone elses? Anyway to whomever it was thanks, but still have problems. I get the Gnome-shell but also the terminal gives me an error message and when I close the terminal Gnome-shell closes too.
I have had different error-messages from the terminal during this as I logout and in again after turning this and that off/on to try and find the source of the conflict.
There certainly are conflicts. Could be partly related to graphics card but I don't thoink so.
To clarify-I know virtually nothing about what lies under the hood so your reference to Nvidia doesn't signify to me.
I am just assuming it's not just a graphics card problem as I have Gnome-shell up and running on annother distro on the same laptop and the settings were shared during install.
I could be wrong ,of course, I'm learning more by trial and error, and not very quickly it seems.Thanks for trying to help. I am going to leave it for a while as I am going up to Scotland for a long weekend and I have another Distro-ZorinOs 5.2 Israel Remix to test out also.When I come back, suitably refeshed , I'll give it another spin after with another clean install. :P
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2 Graphics Issues ? Post Here