Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Overscan,Blackscreen, garbage on screen

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Overscan,Blackscreen, garbage on screen

Postby Cab » Sun May 11, 2008 9:38 pm

We havent pinned it down yet people but I believe by default Hardy tries to use a 800x600 75hz setting for video. I also have had this issue and it mainly affects ppl with a LCD screen. For those that do not know LCD's generally like 50-60hz on refresh rates, anything higher and you get the black screen, garbage on screen or a overscan msg on your monitors. Most LCD's will support a range of resolutions depending on make and size but they always have a NATIVE resolution, The one that there made for and will look the best by far.
I found for me when I install I have to get to the menu hit F6 and add a noacpi on the end of the Kernal modifier line. I then boot using recovery (second choice) and sometimes I also have to use the F4 option and select a generic monitor and VGA card and set the Resolution etc. Then once I'm in desktop ( I might add it took me 5 trys one time to find ones that worked ) I can use Envy in 1.7 or EnvyNG on the 1.8 and install the video drivers. Once I VERIFY they are set and the default I can then reboot and go about life without a hitch. ANYTIME YOU MODIFY THE KERNAL you generally have to reinstall them. One last thing I am just guessing at the default resolution and refresh but I have seen a TON of post on this. I hope this helps and if any Admins or Mods care to edit this post with better details feel free too. I am just posting what has worked for me and a few others I have helped.
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: Overscan,Blackscreen, garbage on screen

Postby Slicer101 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:45 pm

I have noticed that I can not have the nvidia drivers enabled and get video through my DVI connection in 1.8. This worked for me in 1.7. Both versions are 64bit.

Any ideas if this may be related.

Slicer
Slicer101
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Cab » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 pm

That was also my case I also use a DVI cable. Once you get it set seems to be perfect I wont bore everyone with the details but they made a change in the xserver-xorg and well its been a pain. We can usually get everyone working but I sure wish they would make it more "newbie " friendly. Thats not ment as a insult to anyone but my concern is Ubuntu especially Ultimate edition is a GREAT OS and if you can get someone in the door and see how nice it is they are usually hooked and the community grows. This blank screen etc thing and the wireless issues are just a pain to deal with. I can understand when a specific piece of hardware has an issue like lightscribe etc. but general devices like monitors and keyboards etc.. should work without all this effort. Thats my 2 cents I dont speak for everyone here tho.
Cab
Site Admin

Postby cowboy » Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 pm

You are right Cab..seems like Hardy is trying to eliminate the need to reinstall drivers for video after a kernel update..trying to do it in one download..problem arising is they messed with the xserver-xorg system of manual configuration...hope it will be resolved shortly..this is a problem people are having.. :|
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 pm

I have issues with Ultimate Edition 1.8 as well noacpi was not necessary for me, the screen blacks out on occasion, I wait for it to come back on and continue until I can get it installed, once it is installed same situation continues until I can get envy to go through, I assumed this to be because I have 2 ATI cards installed (unsupported in linux period), and was switching between them, I also run widescreen lcd. Never even thought of that, If I get the chance will rip one out and test your theory.

Maddog, has installed the 32 bit edition get this installing while using compiz wobbly windows(compiz), I did not inject ATI drivers, I was shocked, note the live session at the top...

snapshot1.png
maddog installing Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 bit (he is 1 of 3 that have it currently)

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Cab » Sun May 11, 2008 11:04 pm

If I get time I am thinking about reinstalling 1.8 using my 19"crt to see what the default resolution and refresh rate is. I want EVERYONE to know this is not a ULTIMATE EDITION problem it effects all using the HARDY release. When I say all I mean within the parameters seems to be a nvidia and widescreen thing. I wont even chime in on getting ATI cards working properly.

I always feel the need to say I like ATI and Nvidia I've owned em both, When *nix gets crossfire going nvidia better step up because I believe that will even the playing field if not shame nvidia. Time will tell as always.
Cab
Site Admin

Postby SaddleTramp » Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 am

Don't know if this is part of what ya'll are looking for in narrowing this down, but on my integrated nVidia 6150LE chipset and Dell E173FP LCD 19" monitor, during install it came up at 800x600 in both 1.8 & 1.7, and 8.04. However, I have not had any problems installing Envy drivers. Just thinking along the lines if it's more the newer cards/chipsets having problems.
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Tammy » Mon May 12, 2008 4:12 am

Hi, like I said in another post I'm having the same problem. But before I decided to install Ultimate I tried Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit in Vmware, and I didn't have the black screen with mouse pointer once booted. How is that possible?

Kid regards, Tamara
Tammy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.5 32 BIT

Postby Slicer101 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Tamara .. my guess is that you did not load the Nvidia drivers in the VMware image. I can run just fine as long as I so not enable the Nvidia drivers... but what fun is that ?? :D

Slicer
Slicer101
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Slicer101 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Hey Cab... do you have the DVI + Nvidia setup working? if so .. could you post your xorg.conf?

It worked fine for me the first time with 1.7 64bit and from what I recall, the .conf file was different from what I am seeing now.

Slicer
Slicer101
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8