Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Is Linux going downhill?

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Re: Is Linux going downhill?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:25 pm

First off am glad things are going very well for you, since you deserve it. Second, I made a poor generalization and should be more stated as Ubuntu and Gnome going downhill. My beef stems with 14.10 not showing plymouth splash on boot, unless you fiddle with the boot configuration. I have yet to see this since using Ubuntu's. Then we have Gnome, looked great with 3.10, then nope have to trash gtk and put some nightmares in it so can devastate the way theme creators make their themes. I spent a good year, finally making my desktop look the way I have always dreamed it to look. Then these changes come down and I can't stand the way my desktop looks. I look on Gnome looks and I see themes that are absolutely grotesque and child-like. I have not seen such pathetic looks ever on there. I can now understand due to these changes, theme creators are at a loss and just do not want to try.

I am nowhere near a pro on anything, theme creation included. Still, I did my best to create a different look, which took quite a bit of time and not just a few meaningless changes to a theme. I know my work was nowhere near as widely acceptable as many others, but still feel those that did enjoy will now be at a loss. I will not create themes for Gnome3.14 and above unless more than 50% of what is written in the theme is actually implemented. I see others just blow that off, but I will not. Of course not all my aggravation stems from the looks being devastated. I then find gdb did nothing. Gedit, soon as I typed 3 words nothing just stopped typing. I then had Nemo file manager shutting down at will. Nautilus, icons would just vanish off the desktop whenever. Konqueror could not open a new window. Pipelight-multi worked on two browsers only which were Firefox and ironically Konqueror.

Not sure if you saw what I wrote for debian, but also see that as very sad. I mean Ubuntu has had wireless internet drivers working for over 4 years I know of. This is one of the things that drew me into Linux. Since I have lived here in Tennessee, I have yet to have a wired connection, since cable is as science fiction as Star Trek out here. What made my debian venture worse was the fact I also used second option(failsafe) which put system into a Gnome3.4 environment. I then installed the missing drivers, then proceeded to install that OS. I was shocked it did not work and no matter what I filled in, refused to connect even though in desktop mode was connected. Absolutely, shocking. So in those regards, I thing debian is behind. Have to think about the majority of the population and most are using wireless.

So, of the disasters listed above I can only believe I have totally toasted the build I had of 14.10. At the moment I have a new build with just the desktops, but left Gnome at 3.12. I can see those nasty gtk changes right now, but still need to investigate more. I was really hoping to confer with others on here that have delved into 14.10. As have stated a zillion times am on Verizon and not rich. Data downloads are devastating when building an OS. For a cable user is nothing. Been there while I live in Illinois. Now that am in the sticks, I get charged a fortune if I go over 10 gigs. One OS can do this, since they seem to count the amount of data after the installation.

When I built this one am using 13.10, ran like a dream and still does. There's some minor idiosyncrasy due to having upped Gnome from standard 3.8 to 3.10 but nothing that keeps this from working decent. So, I then figured I am going to do the same with 14.10. I worked my you know what off and come up with something worse than the first OS I put together right after you started "Build with Me". So you better believe, I want to know why? So, I scour the internet and find some issues as my own with no solution. I tried to contact a few to find more information, but no response. I also found a few programs I enjoy, developers are not pushing those to 14.10. So I then start assuming the worst.

Knowing I am nowhere near even a quarter the genius you are, I figure others may point me in the right direction to get all this resolved. I enjoy moving forward with improvements, but thus far I have seen nothing but a downhill stride with Ubuntu 14.10. I am begging and hoping for others to prove me wrong. I know you care and have great pride and enthusiasm in all you do, but I see many others as not showing great concern and very little enthusiasm. I guess I am still very frustrated I lack the intelligence to figure so many things out. I am not going to stop trying though as I refuse to give up. I just wish I can get a push into the right direction to get this all as should be. I am very proud of this 13.10 and I want to be equally proud if not more of a 14.10. Is a drag to be totally embarrassed spending so many hours only to get a bunch of dribble, useless trash. Am sure you can side with that, right?
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby barney » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:31 am

Is Linux going down Hill?

I would say yes from my experience, in saying that Windows has gone down hill as well.
On the Linux side if you have a new laptop with 8.1 than that is a headache right there, the shared graphic drivers is just god awful and it has been out awhile now and still does not work at all how it should. I thought Linux was easier to install 5-7 years ago. As bad as windows is I want it for rooting my phone and gaming but everything Microsoft touches looks like vomit and works no better. Given Linux is mostly open it is not the fault of devs but of hardware manufactures who continue to support the unholy mess of windows.

Sorry to be negative but from a average user that's how I see it.

P.S sorry about my writing I've had a few.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170-Gaming K6+ Motherboard, Core i7 6700k,
16GB 2400DDR4 RAM, GTX970, 240GBSSD, 120SSD, plus 3 other HDDs
H105 CPU cooler. EVGA 750G2 power supply.
OS?
barney
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pam » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:46 am

barney I agree with you.

As far as the truth is concerned, NO linux is not going downhill and is infact going uphill.

All the problems everyone is facing is because of the misaligned hardware and software hegemonies and corporations trying to own up IP(Intellectual Property).
Linux has matured more in the last 3 years than it has since its inception.

Apple is known to open source software once they know they start hitting a wall. But using old school trade and management techniques are
failing miserably.

Imagine if you had to pay $100 for the proximity sensor in your android phone. Nobody has understood this better than google.

Microsoft has even toyed with the idea of open-sourcing windows. It wont be shocking if Microsoft shifts base to the linux kernel.

iOS/OSx are based on freebsd.

Hardware companies like AMD, Intel, Nvidia and Samsung are living in caves.
ARM is an ecosystem that allows easy use of their IP(Intellectual Property) to the extent any 'misunderstanding' can be settled out of ever
coming near a court.

What happened to Motorola and IBM computers. Unlike IBM, Motorola as a brand does Not exist anymore.
Motorola chips and radio technology were considered to be of the highest quality, implementing latest engineering technologies.

Governing hardware is software. Today companies like OnePlus are building solutions around software and not the other way around.

Here is a real world retarded example:
FreeBSD and their license dont align with AMD's GPL based code. As a result there is little to no communication between the two companies...
sure there are open source linux drivers that are ported...but in 2015 reverse engineering and an all out effort by individuals to port is like
cleaning a drainage pipe with a toothbrush.
On the other, take sony with their Playstation 4 OS, called Orbis OS is based on FreeBSD and funny thing is they run exclusively on all AMD hardware...
and that too an APU with features and technology that may never come to FreeBSD even if you can somehow run AMD graphics.

Here's another one....the new MacPro from Apple uses a Firepro card with full support. osX is based on FreeBSD.

Why is there such a skewed technology implementation path? and no they dont even make that much profit.

Qualcomm has become snooty with linux....they explicitly say they support linux and how?... reverse engineering!

Has anyone ever asked-- Why Adobe does not support linux? Why is there no photoshop/illustrator and 3D software made for linux?
Why Activision/EA/Ubisoft aren't too concerned about making games linux compatible even though they know they can charge double the amount?
Partly to blame for this problem is AMD and Nvidia.

Google with Android has bore a hole that cannot be sealed. Infact nothing can stand a chance against this drillbit. ChromeOS which is oblivious... is partnering with
Companies to supply and replace Windows clients.

Nvidia is a furnace that probably has somewhat seen how to mould it.
AMD is flung out into outerspace.
Intel just cancels everyone else.
Qualcomm knows how strong they are(no they are not)
Samsung lusts for your attention and the OnePlus rammed into Samsung.
Mediatek, well they are good guys.
...and then you have Apple....and the Iphone6/6+ users bought the OnePlus because .....IDK...dont ask me.

Gnome Desktop(gnome-shell) gui designs were copied in OSx Yosemiite. Gnome-shell is a self sustaining neutron star, once when fully developed will work
oblivious of hardware(AMD/Intel/Qualcomm etc) and any variations of them. Gnome-shell is mature but I'll tell you a secret....it will take 3-5 years for
it to conquer if it continues its current path.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby barney » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:41 am

I agree with you Pam,

I think linux distros are very good on a whole and most look great and work well even when hardware is not supported.

I never understood why ( lets say Nvidia) just don't go "here is the code to our drivers go ahead linux community made your own drivers" it would cost them what?
Someone else would do the work and they would still have happy customers. In fact would it be better to have things like hardware drivers open source? The way I see it is that I buy a card I've paid for it they continue to support this card with driver upgrades that must cost them money, why not get the community to do it for free. Maybe I'm missing something.

Software like Adobe I understand they want to make money, if there is not enough people on linux willing to buy this product then a company is not going to support it. That is fine but maybe they should test the market and see if the Linux community would buy a linux Adobe suite. In saying that Adobe may have, I don't know, never liked Adobe so I don't care.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170-Gaming K6+ Motherboard, Core i7 6700k,
16GB 2400DDR4 RAM, GTX970, 240GBSSD, 120SSD, plus 3 other HDDs
H105 CPU cooler. EVGA 750G2 power supply.
OS?
barney
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pam » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Nvidia is known for mocking the open source community by patronising them when they release new hardware. They appreciate/admire/elevate them and behind their backs mumble--"these open-source monkies know their job".

Well, coders need to get intelligent and not just in coding but emotionally too.
Reverse engineering is a regressive and dead Art...Nobody should need to work with an Assembler unless they want to break into security systems using hex-editors.(well, unless you talk about AI and hardware built by AI systems that have an Anti-Human masterplan, then...)

I wont hold Nvidia guilty anymore.... they need to take linux guys seriously or a fallout is for sure.

Nvidia is probably one of the oldest companies that have adapted to cater to newer needs and wants. The new shield proves this.

As far as Adobe goes, that thing has already passed. Adobe wont risk a single dollar making native software for linux for they might need to spend a bit more for huge profit that is warranted.

I wont defend Adobe nor justify, no we dont need any of their software. We have a world class open source suite comprising, inkscape/gimp/blender and mypaint, krita etc etc.
The End.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Personally, I have had BSOD since updating Nvidia driver for GTA V, but it wasn't constant enough for me to care until it cut out while I was ending a heist.

This is kinda normal when you do heavy modding anyways so ehh, but..

When I was fixing it yesterday and getting a new driver I couldn't help but notice the Nvidia advert...

"Play Batman like it was meant to be played" referencing Arkham Knight..

I laughed and laughed

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:15 pm

I was an idiot to make this statement. It was all done out of disgust for some people that became lazy when we need them the most. Finally, I have woken up and just forget those that want to stagnate and rot away. I am 53, and personally I have no intentions of doing that. I also remember when so many of present day tasks were next to impossible. Imagine getting into your car(1974 Dodge Dart Sport) with a suitcase containing 60 cassette tapes. You then have to drive 30 miles to work, hoping and praying nothing will go wrong with your car, since at most points on that trip, you do not have the luxury of having a phone next to you. No, only choice is a phone booth. That is where I came from.

Now, I drive more than 30 miles some days and simply plug my Android into the car's radio and can chose any album from my entire music collection with just a few clicks. No fumbling around with a suitcase full to cassette tapes. If I break down, well that same Android(Zenfone 2) can be easily used to call for help. I have finally began to respect and cherish all the changes that have brought this world to this point. There are way too many people responsible for making our present day so easy and enjoyable. I guess, you can say I took many things for granted and now am back to say, I no longer do.

Linux has progressed and keeps progressing. Sure there are people that just get stuck in a rut, throw their hands up and feel is as far as they can go. Then we have others such as TheeMahn that never stops and just keeps pressing forward for perfection upon perfection. People like that are responsible for me not being in the above predicament of years ago and do I appreciate their efforts. Currently, I am enjoying 16.04 Xenial with an LXDE desktop and window manager. Yes all my colors are there too(Cyana-3D). K9Copy, a program that used to work pretty good has been taken over and works unbelievably well, shockingly better than I ever remember it working. On my LXDE desktop panel sits a weather applet now showing about 87 degrees. Yes is a prettier layout than Gnome by far. This all is so awesome to have come this far and continue seeing people that honestly care what they are striving to perfect. So basically what I am saying is I am just going to look past those that want to rot away and look at those that want to keep these brilliant changes happening. Is just a waste of breath to complain about those that want to do nothing. I would much rather praise those that work their tails off to make things great for all of us.

I am always bragging and praising to people around me where Linux has been and is going to. I am proud to be a user of the greatest OS in the world today that is vastly used by most of the people on this earth. I bid great thanks to all those that have made our lives to rich and easier. I also pray and hope those hard at work to make these great changes and improvements understand how much all of us appreciate those facts. Best wishes to all responsible.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Micro » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Can I be a wise guy here and answer the question in the Subject? :D

- 497 of 500 Super Computers run Linux. The other 3 run UNIX but only rank in the 200 range.
- Microsoft .NET Core 1.0, which is now Open Source, is Officially Supported By Red Hat.
- From Microsoft: Nearly One In Three Azure Virtual Machines Now Are Running Linux.
- Android dominates the phone market.
- Chromebooks out sell Macbooks.
- Cant wait for the KDE Plasma Mobile OS.

If anything Linux is look up the world and may actually be the first time <BREW>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0