Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Fonts keep turning Black

Frequently Asked Questions

Fonts keep turning Black

Postby Handy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Hello all and many thanks as always for all the work and help.

I have a really weird thing going on, where no matter what theme I choose, after choosing the theme, my fonts are white and I can see them. But the next time I open my home folder they always turn black and I can't harldy see them. This seems to happen consistantly no matter how many reboots or theme I choose. Also it only happens with the file names like in my home file. Everywhere else is fine. I even changed the font color but now it seems that it will not allow me to change any of the colors for some reason. I'm wondering if a update locked me out of the color changing part?

Many great thanks ;)
MSI U230 Wind Netbook CPU: AMD® Yukon CPU MV40/ L335 1600mhz Dual Core Processor
CHIPSET: AMD® RS780MN + SB710 MEMORY: DDR2 667/800MHz, 2 SO-DIMM slots, 4GB
LCD: Size 12.1” 1366*768 HD HIGHDEF GRAPHICS: ATI® Radeon HD3200
GRAPHICS: VRAM share with system memory HDD 2.5" 700GB SATA 7200rpm
AUDIO: 2 high quality speakers WEBCAM: 1.3M CARD READER: SD/MMC/MS/XD
LAN: 10/100/1000 WIRELESS LAN: 802.11b/g/n D-Sub: (VGA) 1 HDMI: 1
EXTERNAL MONITOR: Dell 19” Ultra Sharp 2007fpb

OPERATING SYSTEM
Release: Ultimate_Edition 3.8 (raring) 64bit.
Gnome: 3.6.3
Kernel: 3.8.0.35-generic
Handy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Fonts keep turning Black

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Might need a little more information. Which Version are you using? It might not matter however, you really should avoid updating(well, specifically upgrading, as in updating repos is fine, upgrading system will break it) Ultimate Edition, but it is probably a conflict between assigning fonts through Caja and they need to be done through Nautilus as this is generally what Thee seems to be preferable too. You might want to try using Ubuntu Tweak or Gnome Tweak.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby NatsuMiHawk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:42 am

I like it very much. I feel it is very useful to the reader. I'm reading a lot of new knowledge.
NatsuMiHawk
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Hoping you come back with some more information Handy as seems it may be related to some issues I am also facing. These problems also may be gtk related, but since am no pro at all this am just hanging around hoping something comes up to clear this all up. Is also possible is video driver related. Of course is one issue that can't be fixed on this old machine so could be out of luck. Still am game for any ideas and in the same if I can figure something out, will gladly share. Just please come back and give some more information on it. For all those wondering as I use every font color but white and black is currently only on metacity in the active state that improper coloring is showing. Showing black when should be amber. Have noticed some discrepancies in gtk-3.0 but thus far no one wants to confirm any have found. Until I can resolve these issues that completely devastate many actions of my themes, I will no longer create them. I refuse to create the same garbage I deplore. For more descriptions of issues if curious, please view Rant and Rave section about Linux going downhill.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 am

Not a lot of hope on drivers for these all in one boards. You can bet when money ever comes in will replace this thing. First time I have had a desktop run for over 5 years. Last time I tried AMD driver install, rebooted and zippidy. I know was over a year ago, but still am sure this unit is pretty well outdated to try that stuff anymore. What I did was go into the metacity file and changed to numbers and wound up working. Still, I have zero explanation why Gnome3.14 hardly has any actives in the flashback environment. I have also never had a completely successful install of Gnome3.14 and Ubuntu 14.10. I have given up on that scenario, since only half of what I do with themes will work there, so is garbage in my book.

Right now am pretty content will current OS that uses Gnome3.12 and shows everything I have designed for my themes. I would not make them if I did not love the way they look. I know everyone does not like them, but even if a few do is worth to share. Am very happy the bad comments have gone away. Anyone who works on any kind of scripting whether it be theme work or programming, in no way deserves hassles. Instead they deserve compliments. These people(not myself only) such as TheeMahn bust their behind, have hardly any life with friends and family just to make us all happy and enjoy great things. Respect needs to be shown. Old adage "If you can't say something nice, do not say anything at all" I hold true to that addage as many things I do not like. Still, I understand others do.

I have decided to turn away from Gnome if they do not correct the uncounted errors have seen. In this decision, I have recently started building a new OS with just the LXDE desktop. My wife loves that desktop and I really do also. The only thing that has ever got me down about it is looks. Well, if you have seen the change in my gtk-2.0 files, you can see they have improved immensely to give LXDE a more proud look. Even though LXDE may only use gtk-2.0 I have always firmly believed it can look great. In many areas you can say the resemblance between gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 are quite close. The images I used to use absolutely stunk. Not everyone can draw or paint and I am pretty much one of those. Here and there I can dress up some pngs and svg's but no all the time. So my best bet is using script.

In my consideration of LXDE I was looking at building onto Lubuntu. Of course that turn sour real fast. A little program called "Whoopsie" destroyed the build. So I went from scratch and currently have one using all the programs I currently use and of course had to use gdm. Lightdm just wants to put too much garbage in there. I really do not want spyware, although for the hell of it I did install apport. My beef still remains as that little disaster does not work correctly on that build either. A hundred china men can't be wrong, could they??? Under the LXDE environment I have noticed a very high stability and incredible performance. I know I have learned much, but what was used for that OS and current am writing in is about the same. Still, I have a performance that points towards the main achilles heel being Gnome.

Why not Mate? My beef lies with that desktop refusing to have any color change to text on the desktop. I mean how backwards can you be? Even LXDE has that option, so why can't Mate do it? Maybe in time perhaps another 10 years will be a viable option, but for now looks as LXDE is the best option for me. Also have joined their forum some months back, now figure is time to do my best and contribute when I can as I try to do here. I know I ask for opinions on here, but also ask for advice or if the same is happening on everyone else's side. See constraints of Verizon and what my monthly download allowance is prevents me from doing all the work I would like to do. Any way thanks for your advice and I sincerely hope I did not bend your ear too much or in reality mess up your eyes too much.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Snyper » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Handy wrote:Hello all and many thanks as always for all the work and help.

I have a really weird thing going on, where no matter what theme I choose, after choosing the theme, my fonts are white and I can see them. But the next time I open my home folder they always turn black and I can't harldy see them. This seems to happen consistantly no matter how many reboots or theme I choose. Also it only happens with the file names like in my home file. Everywhere else is fine. I even changed the font color but now it seems that it will not allow me to change any of the colors for some reason. I'm wondering if a update locked me out of the color changing part?

Many great thanks ;)

I've seen this problem too, and it seems to be Caja-specific. It bothered me to the point that I've switched to Nautilus now.
Main rig: Sledgehammer
ASUS Sabertooth x99 TUF * Intel Core i7-5820K * EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 16GB

Second rig: Toyhammer
Foxconn AMD A75M * AMD A8 3870K * AMD Radeon HD 6550D * G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-1866 8GB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7500 rpm, SATA 6GBps - Various O/S
Western Digital Green 2TB 7500 rpm, 6GBps - Various O/S
Snyper
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:39 am

Should have thought about that one. Click on desktop icon is junk in Mate. Click on folders in panel and fonts are correct. One of the things am not liking about Mate. Reason I am pushing towards LXDE. Also would like to share this fact, I did not know and maybe others do not either. There is a nice little program called qt4-config that once installed you can get the programs that are not using your gtk theme to use them. PCmanfm is a decent file manager, but I also use Nemo and just added a neat little link on the desktop worded as such:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Home
Type=Application
Comment=Show home directory
Terminal=false
Exec=nemo
Icon=folder_home.png
Encoding=UTF-8

All you have to do is create a text file called home.desktop and use those words above. Of course you need nemo installed or just change that to the file manager installed that you like. Works perfect. If you installed by Ubuntu Repos, you might have some issues with lxpanel, so be sure to add this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily

If you do not, you will wind up with issues with compiz as not showing workspaces and panel not working correctly on login if transparency has been selected. Do not be alarmed at the nag message when installing all the new parts that LXDE needs lxshortcut, since is not true. Has been upgraded into libfm. Soon as I learn more how to go without gdm, will let everyone here know. So far having issues on build am creating when it comes to changing over. I really do want to avoid having any gnome-session on that build and all LXDE, since this is what I plan to move to.

When I click on additional drivers, I get the message about drivers installed are the best to use. I firmly believe it as I know has to do with the way I have rigged these gtkrc files. Ah, the things I do for looks on LXDE in gtkrc is just completely off the wall. No one else wants to do what I do since it does create havoc on systems here and there. Still, I have a certain look that appeals to me greatly and refuse to give that up. After all it is my computer, right?

I know I sound like a jerk a bit with Mate, but there are just some things that need fixing. Remember, when Gnome was at that stage, was also troubles. Is cool to fork a desktop, but you know, would be better to correct the problems too, right? Also, LXDE is not perfect by no means and I will never claim that either. Is just a bit more rugged than many people think. Just because is a smaller environment, does not necessarily mean is a weakling. Any way am back off to do my best and solve this sddm issue with current build. As said, do not want any Gnome session, but that is proving to be a nightmare as seems upon uninstalling some important pieces are gone. How to fix it all? Honestly, I do not know. I wish I could find a web page dealing with configuring while assembling an OS rather than the already running. Some things on the web are hard to find. So far on the LXDE forum am just giving out information and no help is coming my way.

Guess is the way it goes sometimes. I will not stop the way I am in the fact I always share what I learn. I feel is completely selfish to not do this and kick back and laugh at others having issues. Is not a joke or fun when hassles come up. We have to remember to stick together, fight and fix these issues. Without each other we are nothing. Best wishes always to all here.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Jus a quickie to let all know sddm is junk for building with. Looks for init scripts and we all know that is not the way things go with these new systems. As said, have a real nice LXDE OS happening real soon. Thus far compiz is all set up, just having permission problems which I hope I will get fixed within a few days. This systemd stuff confuses the daylights out of me. Hope to understand it more and will gladly share about it. I know most will build with tmosb, but some that want to learn to do it themselves will still shed light when I know what the story is. I know is off topic, just do not want to start another post right now, unitl I get more facts straight and good information. Have been points, I have poor information and am doing my best to avoid that this time. This type of work is very crucial to an OS. I do not want others to get their sytems messed up, cause I misinformed them. Looking for information on building an OS with LXDM, not information on a system that is already running. So if anyone has some good leads please share. Thus far LXDE.org is mystified about what information I need. Am doing a lot of guess work here so information that is positive and guaranteed would be greatly appreciated. If this OS ever gets completed, I am sure others would like to know its exact style. This is the first one I feel that way about.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Ultimate Edition F.A.Q.