Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Adding the Mint Menu

Feedback for Ultimate Edition 4.2

Adding the Mint Menu

Postby Zaileion » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Considering the main GUI is Mate 1.8 one would think the Mint Menu would be in symantic but its not there. Searching for instructions on how to install mint menu on Ubuntu 14.04 has valid instructions but for some reason whenever i click something inside the mint menu nothing happens. As if I didnt click anything at all. The menu just closes, back to the desktop and thats it...

So that being said i was wondering if there was a way to install Mint Menu in Ultimate Edition 4.2.

The Mint Menu in my opinion one of the best if not the best menu available for any Linux Distro.

Am loving the 4.2 release!! It is truely fantastic!
Asus Rampage III Black Edition
Intel i7 Extreem X990
Corsair Dominator GT 12 GB RAM
LSI MEGARaid Controller 9271
2 Samsung 840 Pro SSD (RAID0)
ATI Radeon HD 6990
SoundBlaster X-FI Platinum Pro
Corsair 1200W Power Supply
Corsair Water Cooled CPU
Ultimate Edition 3.5.2 (LTS) / Windows 7 Ultimate
Zaileion
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Adding the Mint Menu

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Which instructions? Did you use the Eugene San PPA?

It would look something like..

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eugenesan/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mintmenu

For experimental
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eugenesan/boiler

For Archive

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eugenesan/archive

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Zaileion » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you for the response.

i did use the ppa you suggested. and the mintmenu installs as expected. but no matter what i click on it just closes the menu and nothing happens. its like i didn't click anything at all...

i also tried the experimental ppa you listed but i get update errors stating as usual "not found"

i didn't try the Archive i figured using 14.04 mint 1.8 archive wouldn't be what i wanted. Shall i try it anyway just to see?

Or do you have other suggestions?

Do you have the same result on your system? assuming your using UE-4.2
Intel i7 Extreem X990
ATI Radeon HD 6990
Corsair Water Cooled CPU
Zaileion
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:24 pm

Did you uninstall--purge, the original installation? You may also need to make sure you have all of your Ubuntu repos available for needed dependencies.

http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/

You would want to make sure your sources in
etc/apt

match and are open(No #)

Also there appears to be an issue with the template on 4.2.1, I am not sure about Lite(Final 4.2?) and 4.2(Beta?..ugh, this is why I stopped using Ultimate Edition) so maybe check to make sure this is set as well. I believe it was altered for customization and so it appears in Grub as Ultimate Edition but it causes issues and was an issue as far back as 3.4.1 Lite.

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=9881&start=10#p81865

Probably fix software center issues as well, but software center sucks, if you want to get better at this and learn more stop using crutches like Software Center and Synaptic.

It would be farrrrrrrrr easier to install Mint, take a USB with Ultimate Edition on it, load it, and transfer the theming and Icons...
Basically, load the USB and go root
Terminal
sudo passwd

Create a password...
su

caja

If it doesn't launch....
dbus-launch caja

Now go to usr/share

and move what you want from

usr/share/backgrounds

usr/share/icons

usr/share/themes

Into Mints---

usr/share/backgrounds

usr/share/icons

usr/share/themes

I mean..If you are trying to make Ultimate Edition look like Mint, what does it matter if you are making Mint look like Ultimate Edition?

You will lose TMOSB, which I have yet to ascertain what the needed repos are, or if they are available for use(Why install Ultimate Edition to make a U.E to isntall Ultimate Edition?)

But you can definitely get Thumbos to work through available Debs and Thee is usually on top of the tools. I haven't used keysnatcher, but GPG keys have never been an issue for me personally.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Zaileion » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 pm

To successfully install the Mint Menu go to the below link. Only follow the mintmenu instructions a bit down the page, I cannot recommend following any other instructions.

Here is the link providing a ppa for a functioning Mint Menu:
http://www.noobslab.com/2014/03/mate-18 ... -with.html

Ive tried 3 other ppa's and the menu installs fine, it adds to the panel fine, the menu expands fine when clicked, but nothing inside the menu functions. no matter what you click on the menu just closes and nothing launches.
Intel i7 Extreem X990
ATI Radeon HD 6990
Corsair Water Cooled CPU
Zaileion
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Xxjoker21xX wrote:
Xanayoshi wrote:Did you uninstall--purge, the original installation? You may also need to make sure you have all of your Ubuntu repos available for needed dependencies.

http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/

You would want to make sure your sources in
etc/apt

match and are open(No #)

Also there appears to be an issue with the template on 4.2.1, I am not sure about Lite(Final 4.2?) and 4.2(Beta?..ugh, this is why I stopped using Ultimate Edition) so maybe check to make sure this is set as well. I believe it was altered for customization and so it appears in Grub as Ultimate Edition but it causes issues and was an issue as far back as 3.4.1 Lite.

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=9881&start=10#p81865

Probably fix software center issues as well, but software center sucks, if you want to get better at this and learn more stop using crutches like Software Center and Synaptic.

It would be farrrrrrrrr easier to install Mint, take a USB with Ultimate Edition on it, load it, and transfer the theming and Icons...
Basically, load the USB and go root
Terminal
sudo passwd

Create a password...
su

caja

If it doesn't launch....
dbus-launch caja

Now go to usr/share

and move what you want from

usr/share/backgrounds

usr/share/icons

usr/share/themes

Into Mints---

usr/share/backgrounds

usr/share/icons

usr/share/themes

I mean..If you are trying to make Ultimate Edition look like Mint, what does it matter if you are making Mint look like Ultimate Edition?

You will lose TMOSB, which I have yet to ascertain what the needed repos are, or if they are available for use(Why install Ultimate Edition to make a U.E to isntall Ultimate Edition?)TMOSB Because You are not Scared and know how or want to learn... :downthere How to build your own OS :arrow: :D

But you can definitely get Thumbos to work through available Debs and Thee is usually on top of the tools. I haven't used keysnatcher, but GPG keys have never been an issue for me personally.

LMAO. Ultimate Edition is definitely scary.

Anywho what are the specific dependencies and sources needed to run TMOSB? Reread the sentence. When I run it outside of Ultimate Edition it is looking for unavailable lines in my source. I get empty .iso. Since my interests run outside of running GTK, Ultimate Edition is not exactly by go to daily system at this point, but I do have 3.5, 3.4 available that can run across multiple PC through externals. If TMOSB can run on 12.04, then I will give it a shot on those, but I still need sources/dependencies.

Installing it is not an option, for whatever reason, my highest processor system does not run 4.2, but has no issue with any other distro that I have put on it.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Zaileion wrote:To successfully install the Mint Menu go to the below link. Only follow the mintmenu instructions a bit down the page, I cannot recommend following any other instructions.

Here is the link providing a ppa for a functioning Mint Menu:
http://www.noobslab.com/2014/03/mate-18 ... -with.html

Ive tried 3 other ppa's and the menu installs fine, it adds to the panel fine, the menu expands fine when clicked, but nothing inside the menu functions. no matter what you click on the menu just closes and nothing launches.

So if I am reading this right, does the noobslab PPA here solve this?

Noobslab is awesome so not particularly shocking. Their Dolphin Emu ppa is the only one that works too.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Return to Ultimate Edition 4.2