Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

(XFCE) Ultimate Edition with XFCE DE?

(XFCE) Ultimate Edition with XFCE DE?

Postby Driver » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 am

Hello, and thanks for everything.

I had some issues around the time UE3.0 was current, switched to Mint (nothing against Ultimate Edition, a Mint XFCE disc was the first disc that I managed to get through the installation and I just kind of stuck with it out of a lack of gumption, I guess). Therefore, I have been out of the loop. Rather more recently, my laptop died completely and I have been using my Android 2.7 cell phone exclusively. My friend has an i5 laptop (using it now, wow a physical keyboard and a screen that I can read are... indescribably awesome :lol: ). I put Mint XFCE on it at the same time as I switched to it to simplify teaching/explaining, as he is not computer savvy. Last week he finally brought it to me to have it updated to the current Mint 17 XFCE. I was recently able to purchase a used hard drive for my desktop (32-bit AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 1 gig RAM, 128meg nVidia FX5200) and am going to get it up and running again. I have the urge to install an Ultimate OS again :thumbs: .

Is there a version of Ultimate Edition that's based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS that not only uses XFCE as its DE, but also works properly (IOW, can play video at least) with my old nVidia graphics card?

Also: Off-topic, but I'll save a thread and ask it here... I've been reading some of the front page entries and I saw where TheeMahn mentioned that he is planning on replacing the "1000 employees of Cannonical," or something like that. I can only assume that he means that, at some point in the future, he'll be basing Ultimate Edition on something other than Ubuntu, and I'm guessing that means Debian. If that's the case, I don't have any problem with that in theory, since as an end-user I'm more concerned with getting there than what the builder of the vehicle chose to put under the hood (lol) - and I trust him to know far more about such things on his even hisworst day than I ever will. I do have two questions, though. First, will it be based on Debian Old err, Stable or will it have the same versions of all the apps/DEs/etc. that we've grown accustomed to in the past couple of years? For example, XFCE 4.10 was released approximately two years and three months ago, yet Debian Stable is still (AfaIK) using 4.8. It seems odd (to me) how a thing can be called "stable" when newer releases that fix bugs are not allowed, BtW, but they let companies call their products whatever they like in commercials, so I am guessing it's some kind of marketing tactic or somesuch :confused: . Regardless of their naming conventions, will a future Debian-based version of Ultimate Edition use current - or, at most, IDK, within two years of the OS' release date? And, secondly, will PPAs still work? I have been told that they're for Ubuntu and its derivatives and that I shouldn't automatically assume that they'll work on a (more directly than Ubuntu, I mean) Debian-based OS.

Thanks,
Driver

PS I glanced at my last login date (over a year, apologies) and in so doing noticed that I'll soon have been a member here for five years. That means that it's been almost five years since I relied on a Microsoft OS. Without bashing the thing... I can honestly say that I have yet to miss it! And I would never have tried linux again at that point (had a BAD experience with Mandrake 8.1, lol) were it not for TheeMahn and his Ultimate Edition OS. So, thanks again!
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: (XFCE) Ultimate Edition with XFCE DE?

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 pm

XFCE on Ubuntu, is a sad mix of Gnome/XFCE, Mint does away with much of this and honestly, is one of the best looking XFCE DE out of the box hands down. Debian Stable uses 4.8 and interestingly enough has been debated upon as to whether it will be the main DE for Debian but this doesn't exactly matter with Debian. The idea is that XFCE is more stable than Gnome.
This does not apply to unstable. There are levels of Debianness.

There is Stable, Unstable, and SID.

SID can be unstable but it is always SID.
sid-toy-story-zero-tshirts.jpg
sid-toy-story-zero-tshirts.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 16997 times

Here is where you would go to get cutting edge but this requires high maintenance.
Stable, Wheezy
toystory_wheezy_Sad.jpg
toystory_wheezy_Sad.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 16997 times

Current Stable, Pretty low maintenance
and the next, Unstable Jessie
Jessie_from_toy_story_2.png

Which at this point is pretty stable, but there can be issues, and across the board there is the mighty freeze, so it is with Debian. You can still run 4.10 XFCE, in many ways.

Still, if there were an Ultimate Debian, I would certainly use it. It would be Ninja Glorious.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:41 am

I tried to open an eye to mate developers, quite frankly shocks me at the minimal compare data from our repo and what they have. Well now this deb has zero errors the same package w/o error, and adopt it. I wrote software for one porpose and that was not to fix thier errors. I do not care how you slice it up a perfect world is coming at least from the software side. Try as you must to dice it up KDE, Android it is coming and nothing can be done about it, no I grant you not 1000's of programmers 1 individual and 1 nasty application with years of development from one individual. I won't deny it... I was prior a cracker and fully understand reverse engineering. I have dropped many a fella offline permanently. It has been greater then 7 years ago so FBI etc. Statuate of limitations, infers release me of my prior malicious tasks. I did not rape or kill. I have spent since 2006 turning over a new leaf to ensure perfection for all. Even though you personally can not see it today, I can ensure you it is coming.

I have been hearing the Matrix, Terminator kinda things. A poor interpresentaion of the future. I have watched repostorm "repair" itself it is not bulletproof, by any standards. One could then question what is the standards. I have openly showed the damage it can encure and has thusfar went un-noticed. I prefer it that way advancment continues, when the smoke settles they are no more; don't say I did not say so. I will live on an island I just paid for and deligate authority for your better good, one then questions what I preceive is "your better good". Even my GF calls me Cocky, if she can get over it so can you.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am

Personally think XFCE is just fine. NIce small desktop that is efficient enough for many users that have smaller devices and hard drives. Not all of us can have TB and greater hard drives and house all these programs. Sure people as TheeMahn and myself house all kinds of programs and systems having plenty of space, since we have larger drives. Not everyone has that luxury so is once again great TheeMahn takes this all into consideration. Far as Terminator and Matrix happening when our systems become perfected, i do not see it happening. I do see this perfection as a safe haven and great calming effect from the daily grind. Simply put many things in one's every day tasks are difficult and very enduring, so is great when least our computers do not muster the same hassle.

Presently, I can say computing has been beyond my wildest beliefs since I have joined Ultimate. I have learned a great deal of things and no longer see all this a chore since things function correctly. Now, that is a major plus when you think of how life is when have to work 10-12hrs a day, come back home get on the computer takes a few minutes to get something done instead of an hour. This is a fact many people need to understand. I have made this statement a few times and will do so again: "A computer is a tool that helps us complete a job. Same as I would use a Craftsman Ratchet/Socket combo to remove a bolt!" Sure we use our computers for games and enjoyment also, but what counts greatly is what I stated above. Just too many times in life when time is of the essence and is awesome that time is saved. Always thanks for all developers in Linux for making it this way.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: (XFCE) Ultimate Edition with XFCE DE? (Somewhat Long)

Postby Driver » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 pm

TheeMahn wrote:I tried to open an eye to mate developers, quite frankly shocks me at the minimal compare data from our repo and what they have. Well now this deb has zero errors the same package w/o error, and adopt it. I wrote software for one porpose and that was not to fix thier errors.

I tell you man, you're so smart that half the time I don't know what you're talking about. But I'm guessing that MATE has errors and you attempted to show them, but... your software doesn't fix them (the ones in MATE). That's cool, I wouldn't expect you to spend time writing code to deal with someone else's stuff. And people probably appreciate the fact that your distro is a big deal and takes priority. Besides, MATE is... Well, you know when you see one of those Chinese copies of the Honda Helix? At first, you think, "Wow, that's a Honda Helix." But then you get on it, start it up, take it for a ride, and it doesn't handle quite like a Helix, it doesn't have the acceleration or top speed, and... when that truck pulls out in front of you and you automatically try to avoid it in the same way that you would if you were riding your good old Helix... you end up getting Highly Annoyed because it's not close enough to an actual Helix to empower you to not wreck. Some time ago, GNOME 2.x was no longer (supported). I tried GNOME 3 because I assumed it'd be GNOME 2.x with some improvements (my mistake). Then I read that MATE was a fork of GNOME 2.x, that it was a continuation of it, kind of the GNOME 2.x with improvements that I wanted. So I tried it. It did remind me strongly of G2.x - so much so that I kept expecting it to be G2.x, and I kept running into problems with things not working right for me. It quickly became so annoying that I decided to stop even trying to use it and search for something better. (Personally, I strongly dislike GNOME3. But that's just a personal choice kind of thing and I have nothing against its developers. I give them credit for doing their own thing and not deciding to build a cheap Chinese knockoff of a great product (err... so to speak).

Anyway, at that point I tried XFCE, something that I'd only glanced at years previous (I think it might have been the then-new 2.x version?) I was amazed! Here was the DE that did everything that I need it to do, nothing that I didn't want, no useless time-wasting distractions, and that seemed to operate in an intuitive way. It turned out that XFCE was the DE that GNOME2.x should have been. Best of all, it worked on my old hardware.

So I was just hoping that at some point in the future (or now, if one already exists), there'd be an Ultimate Edition that had XFCE in its boot menu. I'm thinking that there was one like that around 3.0 or somewhere thereabouts, but I could be wrong. I definitely remember one that had several choices (XBMC was one, I believe). [EDIT: I misremembered - that was a different version, the one that included XFCE was Ultimate Edition 2.9.]

It was never my intention to p!ss you off :cry: . I've used your distro in the past (and I loved it) and intend to do so in the future. Right now, I have a ten+ year old low-budget (when new) desktop that's wanting a low-resource OS. I'm not sure how well it would function with one of the higher-load DEs.

TheeMahn wrote:I do not care how you slice it up a perfect world is coming at least from the software side.

Thankfully, there'll never be a perfect anything as long as human beings hold the reins. I like good old-fashioned "pretty good." Occasionally, I'll get to try "great." Today I went on a pretty good walk. Tomorrow, if I'm far luckier than I deserve to be, maybe the walk I'll go will be great. If, OtoH, it turns out to be perfect... Well, there won't be any point in going on any more walks, how could I better perfect?

In striving to do a thing better, we better ourselves. To attain perfection, however, is the first step of suicide.

TheeMahn wrote:Try as you must to dice it up KDE, Android it is coming

KDE is going to turn into Android? Well, that'd be one way to improve it, I guess. But I've read that the non-touchscreen Android devices (IOW, those gizmos that connect to a television) don't always please because everything is being controlled by a keyboard/mouse(pad). I am guessing that the vast majority of desktops and even laptops still don't have a touchscreen. So... That's probably not going to make many KDE users very happy.

But that's not my concern. I don't use KDE. I used to like it (at the time, it was my second favorite DE and I'd boot into it about ¼ of the time for the variety. But then I ended up being upgraded(±) to (I think it was) version 4. They must have decided that, since Microsoft Windows DE had such a big market share, that they'd change to look more like it in order to garner more users. I wish they'd have read about the "new Coke" fiasco instead...

TheeMahn wrote:and nothing can be done about it, no I grant you not 1000's of programmers 1 individual and 1 nasty application with years of development from one individual.

Err... You've lost me again. One person owns it? Or you mean, like, some DB in the government is planning something nefarious (as usual)? Or someone who feels a need to "help out" like those people who eventually started that Cloudflare service after they got bored with doing computer-based entrapment projects for Uncle Sam?

TheeMahn wrote:I won't deny it... I was prior a cracker and fully understand reverse engineering. I have dropped many a fella offline permanently.

Hmm... Probably not (I know it's a small world, but...), but... CMG? Been a while since I read about any entertaining Click Click BOOM incidents :mrgreen: .

TheeMahn wrote:It has been greater then 7 years ago so FBI etc. Statuate of limitations, infers release me of my prior malicious tasks.

Hey, no worries, lots of us are walking the streets today thanks to that. :thumbs:

TheeMahn wrote:I did not rape or kill.

That's good to know; I make it a point to not associate with anyone who is a rapist or who has killed someone (who didn't deserve it or and/or was not polluting the gene pool).

TheeMahn wrote:I have spent since 2006 turning over a new leaf to ensure perfection for all.

Turn over the leaf, but please don't kill the tree - every once in a while some entity arises and, well... Never abandon a useful skill when it may serve the greater good in the future.

TheeMahn wrote:Even though you personally can not see it today, I can ensure you it is coming.

I used to think, at my age (mid-40s now) and much less than stellar health, that I'd never see things get so bad that a blind man could see them. Sadly, it looks like even I'll still be alive at that point (probably not much longer, in any case). I might not be well-versed in computer skills, I generally have to rely on others for electronic "self-defense," and my computer hardware is falling apart. But I know a thing or two about other things, lol, and have been known to miss a meal or three in order to be able to purchase... other... types of self-defense hardware. So when calamity ensues, I'll probably be better off if some event kills the Internet and anything even vaguely like it. Only thing I truly care about electronics-wise is that the library I've accumulated survive in some form that whatever eventually achieves the combination of sapience and opposable thumbs after the human race consumes itself, so that they (whoever/whatever "they" might be) might one day be able to comprehend it and learn from our mistakes.

In the meantime, well, I live in an OC state and exercise that right every time I leave the house. It keeps the vultures from circling too close (among other benefits).

TheeMahn wrote:I have been hearing the Matrix, Terminator kinda things. A poor interpresentaion of the future.

I didn't watch either of those movies, but I gather... intelligent computers for the former and aliens for the latter? Nah, the mouthbreathers I mean the majority seem to be wholly concerned with "social" media and destroying language, and I seriously doubt that aliens would be interested enough to ever land (unless there happened to be a market for industrial pollution in job lots and general ill will). Rest assured, it'll be humans(±) who do humans in. FFS, we're almost there now.

TheeMahn wrote:I have watched repostorm "repair" itself it is not bulletproof, by any standards. One could then question what is the standards. I have openly showed the damage it can encure and has thusfar went un-noticed. I prefer it that way advancment continues, when the smoke settles they are no more; don't say I did not say so. I will live on an island I just paid for and deligate authority for your better good, one then questions what I preceive is "your better good".

You going to take RepoStorm commercial, then, I take it? Good - the world of linux needs more commercial software. I'm not one of those cripple-headed dreamers who think that absolutely everything in the world ought to be free (I bet they wouldn't be, either, if on payday their boss announced, "Good news, everyone, everything you did this week was free, because we've gone non-commercial!"). I appreciate that which is, but understand that people either have to make a living or I'll end up having to pay even more when the welfare lines get longer. And since I've lived on the thin edge of nothing rather than stand in that line, I don't think I can take reading about much more welfare sh!t.

One thing, though: Your island? Pick one with a high plateau on it (or build with waterproof materials and learn to swim to the mailbox).
omeone else's stuff. And people probably appreciate the fact that your distro is a big deal and takes priority. Besides, MATE is... Well, you know when you see one of those Chinese copies of the Honda Helix? At first, you think, "Wow, that's a Honda Helix." But then you get on it, start it up, take it for a ride, and it doesn't handle quite like a Helix, it doesn't have the acceleration or top speed, and... when that truck pulls out in front of you and you automatically try to avoid it in the same way that you would if you were riding your good old Helix... you end up getting Highly Annoyed because it's not close enough to an actual Helix to empower you to not wreck. Some time ago, GNOME 2.x was no longer (supported). I tried GNOME 3 because I assumed it'd be GNOME 2.x with some improvements (my mistake). Then I read that MATE was a fork of GNOME 2.x, that it was a continuation of it, kind of the GNOME 2.x with improvements that I wanted. So I tried it. It did remind me strongly of G2.x - so much so that I kept expecting it to be G2.x, and I kept running into problems with things not working right for me. It quickly became so annoying that I decided to stop even trying to use it and search for something better. (Personally, I strongly dislike GNOME3. But that's just a personal choice kind of thing and I have nothing against its developers. I give its developers credit for doing their own thing and not deciding to build a cheap Chinese knockoff of a great product (err... so to speak).

Anyway, at that point I tried XFCE, something that I'd only glanced at years previous (I think it might have been the then-new 2.x version?) I was amazed! Here was the DE that did everything that I need it to do, nothing that I didn't want, no useless time-wasting distractions, and that seemed to operate in an intuitive way. It turned out that XFCE was the DE that GNOME2.x should have been. Best of all, it worked on my old hardware.

So I was just hoping that at some point in the future (or now, if one already exists), there'd be an Ultimate Edition that had XFCE in its boot menu. I'm thinking that there was one like that around 3.0 or somewhere thereabouts, but I could be wrong. I definitely remember one that had several choices (XBMC was one, I believe).

It was never my intention to p!ss you off :cry: . I've used your distro in the past (and I loved it) and intend to do so in the future. Right now, I have a ten+ year old low-budget (when new) desktop that's wanting a low-resource OS. I'm not sure how well it would function with one of the higher-load DEs.

TheeMahn wrote:I do not care how you slice it up a perfect world is coming at least from the software side.

Thankfully, there'll never be a perfect anything as long as human beings hold the reins. I like good old-fashioned "pretty good." Occasionally, I'll get to try "great." Today I went on a pretty good walk. Tomorrow, if I'm far luckier than I deserve to be, maybe the walk I'll go will be great. If, OtoH, it turns out to be perfect... Well, there won't be any point in going on any more walks, how could I better perfect?

In striving to do a thing better, we better ourselves. To attain perfection, however, is the first step of suicide.

TheeMahn wrote:Try as you must to dice it up KDE, Android it is coming

KDE is going to turn into Android? Well, that'd be one way to improve it, I guess. But I've read that the non-touchscreen Android devices (IOW, those gizmos that connect to a television) don't always please because everything is being controlled by a keyboard/mouse(pad). I am guessing that the vast majority of desktops and even laptops still don't have a touchscreen. So... That's probably not going to make many KDE users very happy.

But that's not my concern. I don't use KDE. I used to like it (at the time, it was my second favorite DE and I'd boot into it about ¼ of the time for the variety. But then I ended up being upgraded(±) to (I think it was) version 4. They must have decided that, since Microsoft Windows DE had such a big market share, that they'd change to look more like it in order to garner more users. I wish they'd have read about the "new Coke" fiasco instead...

TheeMahn wrote:and nothing can be done about it, no I grant you not 1000's of programmers 1 individual and 1 nasty application with years of development from one individual.

Err... You've lost me again. One person owns it? Or you mean, like, some DB in the government is planning something nefarious (as usual)? Or someone who feels a need to "help out" like those people who eventually started that Cloudflare service after they got bored with doing computer-based entrapment projects for Uncle Sam?

TheeMahn wrote:I won't deny it... I was prior a cracker and fully understand reverse engineering. I have dropped many a fella offline permanently.

Hmm... Probably not (I know it's a small world, but...), but... CMG? Been a while since I read about any entertaining Click Click BOOM incidents :mrgreen: .

TheeMahn wrote:It has been greater then 7 years ago so FBI etc. Statuate of limitations, infers release me of my prior malicious tasks.

Hey, no worries, lots of us are walking the streets today thanks to that. :thumbs:

TheeMahn wrote:I did not rape or kill.

That's good to know; I make it a point to not associate with anyone who is a rapist or who has killed someone (who didn't deserve it or and/or was not polluting the gene pool).

TheeMahn wrote:I have spent since 2006 turning over a new leaf to ensure perfection for all.

Turn over the leaf, but please don't kill the tree - every once in a while some entity arises and, well... Never abandon a useful skill when it may serve the greater good in the future.

TheeMahn wrote:Even though you personally can not see it today, I can ensure you it is coming.

I used to think, at my age (mid-40s now) and much less than stellar health, that I'd never see things get so bad that a blind man could see them. Sadly, it looks like even I'll still be alive at that point (probably not much longer, in any case). I might not be well-versed in computer skills, I generally have to rely on others for electronic "self-defense," and my computer hardware is falling apart. But I know a thing or two about other things, lol, and have been known to miss a meal or three in order to be able to purchase... other... types of self-defense hardware. So when calamity ensues, I'll probably be better off if some event kills the Internet and anything even vaguely like it. Only thing I truly care about electronics-wise is that the library I've accumulated survive in some form that whatever eventually achieves the combination of sapience and opposable thumbs after the human race consumes itself, so that they (whoever/whatever "they" might be) might one day be able to comprehend it and learn from our mistakes.

In the meantime, well, I live in an OC state and exercise that right every time I leave the house. It keeps the vultures from circling too close (among other benefits).

TheeMahn wrote:I have been hearing the Matrix, Terminator kinda things. A poor interpresentaion of the future.

I didn't watch either of those movies, but I gather... intelligent computers for the former and aliens for the latter? Nah, the mouthbreathers I mean the majority seem to be wholly concerned with "social" media and destroying language, and I seriously doubt that aliens would be interested enough to ever land (unless there happened to be a market for industrial pollution in job lots and general ill will). Rest assured, it'll be humans(±) who do humans in. FFS, we're almost there now.

TheeMahn wrote:I have watched repostorm "repair" itself it is not bulletproof, by any standards. One could then question what is the standards. I have openly showed the damage it can encure and has thusfar went un-noticed. I prefer it that way advancment continues, when the smoke settles they are no more; don't say I did not say so. I will live on an island I just paid for and deligate authority for your better good, one then questions what I preceive is "your better good".

You going to take RepoStorm commercial, then, I take it? Good - the world of linux needs more commercial software. I'm not one of those cripple-headed dreamers who think that absolutely everything in the world ought to be free (I bet they wouldn't be, either, if on payday their boss announced, "Good news, everyone, everything you did this week was free, because we've gone non-commercial!"). I appreciate that which is, but understand that people either have to make a living or I'll end up having to pay even more when the welfare lines get longer. And since I've lived on the thin edge of nothing rather than stand in that line, I don't think I can take reading about much more welfare sh!t.

One thing, though: Your island? Pick one with a high plateau on it (or build with waterproof materials and learn to swim to the mailbox).

TheeMahn wrote:Even my GF calls me Cocky, if she can get over it so can you.

Hey, like that obnoxious, but somewhat talented goof sings about being cocky, "It ain't braggin' motherf***er if ya back it up." So I have no issues. Well, lol, no issues with your not being afraid to show your talents, I mean (personally... yeah, some say I might have a few....). And, BtW,
TheeMahn wrote:Even my GF calls me Cocky, if she can get over it so can you.

Hey, like that obnoxious, but somewhat talented goof sings about being cocky, "It ain't braggin' motherf***er if ya back it up." So I have no issues. Well, lol, no issues with your not being afraid to show your talents, I mean (personally... yeah, some say I might have a few....). And, BtW, whenever I used to try to get some chick or other to quit sniffing around me by being obnoxious and kind of rude, she'd just start panting. All politically-correct BS aside, I think a lot of them are hardwired that way. So she might think you're a cocky SoB - but I bet she aint going anywhere :lol: .

So... I still don't know if you're planning on - or at least considering - adding XFCE to the default Ultimate Edition installation. I've read a rumor that its developers are hoping to release 4.12 before Christmas (although they have missed self-imposed deadlines big time in the past and I learned several years ago from beta-testing... a non personal computer entertainment hardware device... what kind of output one gets when one demands that the developer produce something right now instead of When It's Ready(!), so I'm not holding my breath). I'd love to see an Ultimate release with XFCE 4.12 in it. But 4.10 is working pretty doggone good right now, lol <HINT HINT>.

(As always,) Warmest regards and thanks for everything you do,
Driver
Last edited by Driver on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Driver » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:52 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Personally think XFCE is just fine. NIce small desktop that is efficient enough for many users that have smaller devices and hard drives. Not all of us can have TB and greater hard drives and house all these programs.

I'm using a borrowed laptop that the owner has let me use for a short time so that I can do some searches (et cetera) for him without having to suffer my phone's tiny screen and lack of a keyboard. It's not top of the line and appears to be 1½-2 years old. But it's got an i5 3310 (I think), six gigabytes of RAM, what appears to be decent video performance, and a 750 gigabyte hard drive. It ought to be able to run most DEs without choking. Interestingly enough (to me, at least), he's got a distro running the XFCE DE on it, lol.

The decision to run XFCE isn't always made out of necessity - sometimes, it's made by choice :th_th225 .

Regards,
Driver

Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 pm

So you're in your 40's, Driver? Remember those days and to be honest, the way the medical profession sees all of us(over 40), no one in in stellar health. At 51, I find I have more tasks to accomplish, then I ever did 30 years ago, so no time to get ill and just keep moving. I never bother with doctors as all they ever want to do is put in people's mind they are doing bad and sorry, I am not up to buying that ever. I eat what I enjoy eating, still a fast food junkie as I was in my teens. Just eat a bit less is all. Exercise? I see enough of that working on the 2acres I have, no need to spend money on a gym membership. Plenty of walking at work also. Worst habit I have these days is I do smoke cigarettes. Of course, I make my own, so less of the chemicals going in. Suggest that to all smokers out there as the manufactured types tend to make you cough 10x more. Have been making my own for 12 years now.

Next, you are saying no keyboard on you phone? Well, I can tell you, I have one and these big fingers of mine seem to muff spelling anyway. I surely wish, someone would think about magnifying the keyboard a bit, so those of us that have fingers larger than toothpicks can use them better! Is wild though as you are talking about a 2-core Laptop and to imagine, I now own a 2-core phone. Is just amazing how fast technology is moving. Sure, I did benefit last year as the 2-core laptops getting sold out to make way for the 4-cores, made it possible to get one for less than $400. Enjoy the laptop also, but to me is more of a replacement for when things go haywire with the PC. Thought by now, I would be taking advantage of it for work, but seems no job at present that I have requires it.

Agree, XFCE is a decent desktop no just for necessity but for everyday usage. I extremely enjoy the upper taskbar where I can have all the nice weather information and a fullsize date. That function is gone these days in Gnome. Am definitely looking forward as XFCE moves on, the improvements that will happen as say is one of the finer desktops. What I can never believe is for the lower size how much function you get for it. Is totally amazing, as at the complete size of that desktop, Gnome is not even functional. Yes, have been a major fan/fanatic about Gnome since I started using LInux and can never deny it. LXDE has also amazed me on being a desktop that will stand til the last piece of Linux is running. I watched it do this and is incredible that desktop is absolutely bulletproof and hoping XFCE will follow. I will never build a Linux OS without LXDE or XFCE since they are so dependable, useful and reasonably sized. KDE, agree too much like Windows. Sorry, do not want to go back to a trainwreck OS. Will stick with my build which I depend on and hardly ever does me wrong or upsets me. Miss the earlier KDE version as were prettier. Am a major fanatic about looks of the desktop, but that is a different topic altogether.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: (XFCE) Ultimate Edition with XFCE DE? (Somewhat Long)

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 am

Driver, repostorm has not only pointed out the errors in Mate it has autocorrected them. It can do the same for any Linux based software and I do mean any software including Copywritten material.

I will now provide a 100% proof positive to demonstrate that is exactly what it has done:

The following link is taken directly from mates repository.

I will now provide the realtime results of running repostorm across the same deb from both servers:
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/before$ repostorm --analyze
repostorm 1.8.4, 07/01/2014
GNU repostorm home page: <http://www.repostorm.com/>.
E-mail bug reports to: <[email protected]>.
Be sure to include the word repostorm somewhere in the Subject: field.
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ RepoStorm 1.8.4 is pre-scanning for errors. ▒

Scanning mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb for errors.
Errors detected in mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.
Writing permanent logs for mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Repostorm 1.8.4 is generating a full report. ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ SESSION RESULTS ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ FILE ERR WRN NFO ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb 0 2043 0 ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ SESSION RESULTS ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Error(s): 0 | Warning(s): 2043 | Info: 0
Writing permanent logs.
Execution Time: 31s
Repostorm: All operations complete.
Execution Time: 33s
Repostorm: Analitical process complete.
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/before$ cd ../after/
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/after$ repostorm --analyze
▒ RepoStorm 1.8.4 is pre-scanning for errors. ▒

Scanning mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb for errors.
mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb is a perfect deb. Moving to ./debs/
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Repostorm 1.8.4 is generating a full report. ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ SESSION RESULTS ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ FILE ERR WRN NFO ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ SESSION RESULTS ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Error(s): 0 | Warning(s): 0 | Info: 0
Writing permanent logs.
Execution Time: 29s
Repostorm: All operations complete.
Execution Time: 31s
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/after$

That is one deb and 2043 warnings stripped from the deb. For a lack of a better word, the produced deb from repostorm is perfect. If you do not believe me you can run the following command yourself from both the deb (link provided above) from mate's repository and from http://www.os-builder.com/repostormed/m ... cy_all.deb

Download the above files and in a terminal run the following command:
Code: Select all
lintian mate-icon-theme_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb

I will not rob you of the output of repairing the deb:
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/after$ cd ../before/
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/before$ repostorm --extract
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ Repostorm 1.8.4 is entering extraction mode. ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb
WARNING: this will extract all the above deb(s) to their own folder. (Y/N)? Y

Beginning extraction...
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ Beginning extraction of mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
to mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
Extracting Control files from mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb
Extracting data files from mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb
mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all is properly named.
Extraction of mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb complete.
Removing mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.
Execution Time: 4s
Extraction of 1 deb(s) complete. No errors detected in extraction.
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/before$ repostorm --fix
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ Repostorm 1.8.4 is entering fix mode. ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.errors
Repair the above (Y/N)? Y
Beginning Repair...
Relaxing permissions
Relaxing: mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
Process complete.
Scanning for errors / warnings to fix in mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.errors
W: mate-icon-theme-faenza: package-contains-hardlink usr/share/icons/matefaenza/actions/16/address-book-new.png -> usr/share/icons/matefaenza/apps/16/addressbook.png
... 2041 additional entries
W: mate-icon-theme-faenza: package-contains-hardlink usr/share/icons/matefaenzagray/categories/24/applications-astronomy.png -> usr/share/icons/matefaenzagray/status/24/weather-few-clouds-night.png
Fixing Error: package-contains-hardlink. Please at this stage of development review and change if necessary.
Please wait this may take a long time depending on the amount of error(s) involved.
package-contains-hardlink error fixed.
Types of errors / warnings fixed: 1
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/before$ repostorm --build
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ Repostorm 1.8.4 is clearing log files. ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Clearing logs.
Removing mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.errors log.
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ Repostorm 1.8.4 is entering build mode. ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
Build the above debs (Y/N)? Y
repostorm 1.8.4 is beginning initial build.
First build or no previous errors.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ Beginning build of mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/ ▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Relaxing permissions of mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
Cleaning up any tmp or backup files.
Setting individual file permissions to 644.
No /etc/ so need to build conffiles.
Scanning for executables in mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/ Stage 1.
Scanning for executables in mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/ Stage 2.
Calculating Installed size & inserting into control file if necessary.
mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/ is 119608. Control file reporting: 94623
Size Mismatch, replacing with 119608.
Calculating MD5SUMS in mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
Setting ownership to root in mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
Setting individual folder permissions to 755.
Setting permissions rights for control etc.
Building of mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/
dpkg-deb: building package `mate-icon-theme-faenza' in `mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb'.
Lintian resulting package mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb.
We have built a totally perfect deb.
Recursively removing mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all/ since we have a perfect deb.
Moving mate-icon-theme-faenza_1.8.0-0+saucy_all.deb to .debs/
No error(s) have been logged in current folder.
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Downloads/before$

Repostorm considers the 2043 warnings fixed and accounts it as one issue, so to put things into perspective it has crushed I would estimate 12,000+ errors and warnings from the mate desktop environment. I'm somewhat lazy because of the tool, I use it to repair my own software as I am developing it:
repostorm_errors.log
repostorm error log and usage
(894.28 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

I have had requests to run it across XFCE, KDE repositories etc. My current time has been spent in the advancement of tmosb:
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Documents$ tmosb
DEBUGGING Number of switches passed: 0
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒ TheeMahn O/S Builder (tmosb) 1.8.4, 08/03/2014 ▒
GNU tmosb (TheeMahn O/S Builder) home page: <http://ultimateedition.info/>.
Be sure to include the word tmosb somewhere in the Subject: field.
Usage: tmosb -<-COMMAND> [OPTION]
Mandatory arguments to long options are identical for short options.
possible commands...

-b --build builds Operating System(s)
-C --clearcache clears system cache
-e --extract extract ISO(s)
-h --help this help message
-p --pull pulls all source code to current folder
-t --test test ISO in virtual machine and exit
-u --upgrade distro upgrades existing Operating System(s)
-v --version dump version info and exit

tmosb --help [COMMAND] for further information.
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Documents$

The complexity of this program has became fairly massive. Since its release internally in Ultimate Edition 4.2 it has grown to close to double the size in code. As I am typing this, the tool is automatically generating Ultimate Edition 4.2 lite 32 bit. From just entering the command: tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x86-lite.iso

You had mentioned your intrest is in XFCE, well tmosb will build exactly what you are looking for just the same with the effort of typing 5 extra characters: tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x86-lite.iso xfce. It is not limited in the production of Ultimate Edition 4.2 it will build 84 Operating systems I do believe:
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Documents$ tmosb --build
DEBUGGING Number of switches passed: 1
Switch 1: --build
ERROR: Invalid switch. Generating valid switches:
▒ OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION RELEASE BASE ARCH LTS DIST TYPE DE(s)
▒ Ultimate Edition 3.4 Precise Pangolin x86/x64 YES LITE/STANDARD MATE
Default Build command(s):
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.4-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.4-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.4-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.4-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.4-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.4-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 3.5 Precise Pangolin x86/x64 YES STANDARD KDE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.5-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.5-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.5-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.5-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.5-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.5-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 3.6 Quantal Quetzal x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.6-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.6-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.6-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.6-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.6-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.6-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 3.7 Quantal Quetzal x86/x64 NO STANDARD KDE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.7-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.7-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.7-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.7-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.7-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.7-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 3.8 Raring Ringtail x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.8-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.8-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.8-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.8-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.8-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.8-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 3.9 Raring Ringtail x86/x64 NO STANDARD KDE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.9-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.9-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.9-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.9-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.9-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-3.9-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 4.0 Saucy Salamander x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.0-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.0-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.0-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.0-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.0-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.0-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 4.1 Saucy Salamander x86/x64 NO STANDARD KDE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.1-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.1-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.1-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.1-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.1-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.1-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 4.2 Trusty Tahr x86/x64 YES LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.2-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 4.3 Trusty Tahr x86/x64 YES STANDARD KDE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.3-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.3-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.3-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.3-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.3-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.3-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 4.4 Utopic Unicorn x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.4-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.4-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.4-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.4-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.4-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.4-x86.iso
▒ Ultimate Edition 4.5 Utopic Unicorn x86/x64 NO STANDARD KDE
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.5-x86-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.5-x64-lite.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.5-x86-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.5-x64-gamers.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.5-x64.iso
tmosb --build ultimate-edition-4.5-x86.iso
▒ Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin x86/x64 YES LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-12.04-x86.iso
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-12.04-x64.iso
▒ Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-12.10-x86.iso
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-12.10-x64.iso
▒ Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-13.04-x86.iso
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-13.04-x64.iso
▒ Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-13.10-x86.iso
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-13.10-x64.iso
▒ Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr x86/x64 YES LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-14.04-x86.iso
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-14.04-x64.iso
▒ Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn x86/x64 NO LITE/STANDARD MATE
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-14.10-x86.iso
tmosb --build ubuntu-desktop-14.10-x64.iso
theemahn@JackHammer:~/Documents$

Missing Deadlines? You do realize I have a physical job as well as multiple programming tasks & o/s construction? Let me subquote an interview conducted on me via sourceforge:
Though Ultimate Edition releases are built based on twice-yearly stable releases of Ubuntu, Cady says the distro doesn’t blindly follow Ubuntu’s release schedule. “I strive for perfection, so users will get new versions when I and my admins and beta testers feel they are ready.

The above application I intend to make completely replace my job as an Operating system architect. Software written to one job at a time to replace me.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Driver » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm still not sure I understand you. You're saying that the version of MATE that the Mint folks use has errors in it? Like I mentioned, I use XFCE, myself, so I don't know personally one way or the other. But lots of people seem to use it and I haven't read about their computers crashing.

This computer stuff is a lot more complicated than it used to be - I really miss the days of flipping a switch and the computer's OS would appear instantly because the thing came from the factory with it already in the chips. Maybe that's where everything went wrong. I mean... Well, I had my Commodore for years and years and it never once crashed on me, so no errors in it. I guess it's when people start changing everything all the time that you get errors and stuff and have to keep sending us folks updates and then next day you turn the thing on and it must be broken again because BANG there's another doggone update you have to get and stuff. Maybe I better just keep what I've put on my desktop and on my buddy's (this) laptop, because right now they're booting and running fine, no crashes on them.

Sorry I dumbed the place down by posting. You guys have a good one, I wish you all good health, happiness, and a full belly.

Regards,
Driver (who suddenly realizes that he's a lot older than he thought)

Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby billhedrick » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 am

ehh... gimme the days when you put the cassette in the player and turned on the PET 2001! Seriously though, the older editions of Ultimate Edition had XFCE, odd number editions I recall. I really liked it, very clean and resource light! I can not promise this, but look out for Ultimate Edition 4.3 when Thee gets a chance to drop it.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Next

Return to Kde and Other Desktop Environments