Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

I take the risky way and upgraded to Trusty, over my Ultimate Edition!!

Feedback for Ultimate Edition 4.2

I take the risky way and upgraded to Trusty, over my Ultimate Edition!!

Postby Thorzton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 am

Now i hope that i can correct it with the installation of a few Pakets. First i install Synaptic for an overview, later more. NOw i hope i get Gnome, the cursor and a bit of the visionäry Ultimate Edition back,.... PS..: Nothing of my Data is lost.......

So now here my first questin, what package must i install, that i can change the dektop enviroment at the login screen?
System:
Motherboard:Asrock 970 Extreme4 Mainboard
CPU: AMD Phenom (4x3,0Ghz)
RAM: 12GB DDR3
Video: nVidia 610 gts 1024MB
Disk Drives: 2 x 500 Gb changed to hitachi
Monitor: Yuraku 19 zoll 16/9
Soundcard: onboard
Thorzton
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: I take the risky way and upgraded to Trusty, over my Ult

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:49 pm

A couple things.

It's probably really just..broke....it is all "fixable", but is it worth the time?

Pretty sure Gnome isn't even on Ultimate Edition at this point.

Thee is not using pure Ubuntu source, since he is setting up repos, you may not have exactly just moved to a normal 14.04 and in any case since it is already based on Trusty, you didn't exactly move to Trusty at any rate.

Your best bet is to reinstall.

If you really want to take a straight Ubuntu Gnome and make it look like Ultimate Edition basically what you should do is install Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 onto another partition on the same hard drive that the Ultimate Edition install is on.

From the newly installed Gnome, go root or go home and start pulling all the Themes, Icons, and walls from the partition that Ultimate is on and put them on your Gnome installation.

Then after that is all said and done, either install something else over the Ultimate Edition, keep a non upgraded, Ultimate Edition on there, or use a live install and delete Ultimate Edition, then enlarge either your Gnome / or /home to take up the unused space.

Now in all honesty, it will probably look really really horrible. The Icons will only cover so many fields and the system themes will either not work or it won't matter because Gnome insists on taking up every bit of space on the screen and making it ugly and impractical, but that's Gnome for ya.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 pm

I forgot to mention, the saying around here is "Do not upgrade Ultimate Edition." or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Basically, if you are upgrading just to upgrade because you are aware of how to upgrade, you are going to have a bad day.

This makes it a little tough to analyze the approach that should be taken if one wants to do this, but it really amounts to a whole bunch of Search Engine queries and searching all the dark corners of the web in establishing what bug you have and how it can be fixed. Many may just end up circling back to this forum. You will find many contradictions and in the end will establish your own line of approach based on how dedicated you wish to be. Then you will probably move in another direction, basically building from base, since it is far easier to get what you want that way than to trouble shoot taking apart another system to make it how you want it.

If you are upgrading to have the latest and greatest, because you want to be cutting edge, then that is cool too. Keep in mind this means maintenance, this means breaks, this means time. You will get cut.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Thorzton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 pm

At least, i used a 32 bit version, then i fixed in more RAM, so i had 12Gb, could only use 8Gb, therefore i wanna change.
And yes, i take the time to try make an Ultimate Edition, with the repos, from a normal Trusty Tahr Ubuntu amd64.

The Maahn told bout an little Programm, The The Ultimate Edition Builder, that he wrote, so i wait what is coming.
And while it i can test the Unity, maybe i overinstall Ultimate Edition in the End, but in the moment i take some time for it.
P.S: I think i am a noob, @$#! Ubuntu is not easy to handle, there are less options.
Now i must starting to learn about many things. GTK,Unity, a lot bout Desktop, means a while.
System:
Thorzton
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xandra » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:07 am

Never had to use a username to boot to any Ultimate Edition live.
Xandra
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Thorzton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 am

I failed in the end, must be magic, what TheeMahn does with an normal Ubuntu.
System:
Thorzton
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable