Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

For those that wish to dump KDE's white text

For those that wish to dump KDE's white text

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Said this on another post but will reiterate! I had a black and white TV when I was a kid and when I got to color, I did not want to go backwards! Same applies on the computer. Anyway, KDE is a little more confusing in some aspects than gnome when it comes to desktop themes. For the first part I want to submit Xan's examples of getting into settings. Now after you have adjusted all your colors and saved, next you can then go back to desktop themes and apply Tibunna which has the light blue text that replaces the white. Is a nice choice for those of us that like the darker destkops. Of course unfortunately, the text in the lower panel is slightly blurry, which I do not know a cure for yet. Of course remember to keep your color scheme applied during all this! I did it with a downloaded theme named "Excalibre" in which I changed the boring scheme of white text to green, amber and yellow. Unfortunately, KDE only opts to use the green coloring! Still is better than dealing with that obnoxious white text!! Also unlike Gnome and themes, KDE is selective at times in what it will decide to use for programs! It might just use the bland coloring(default) even though you have your theme and colors adjusted perfectlly! Is apparent with the many files of KDE at points things can become just as disorganized as any large desktop of this size! Fortunately there are some decent options for KDE to provide decent enough looks even for us Gnome-addicts!! My thanks goes to Xan of helping me navigate through KDE, he is an ace with that desktop and makes his look like a diamond! For those wondering if the stoplights are an option, they are when downloaded and name is OSX_Aurorae. Unfortunately, you wind up stuck with the bland coloring on top, so for me since there is no apparent way to change it yet, will just stick with another top! Is just I have been on computers of over 10 years now and I am just totally burned out on those bland colors! Saw them way too many years!!! Anyway just hope this helps other users that may be feeling the same way about those colors that should have been buried in 2010!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: For those that wish to dump KDE's white text

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 am

Been seeing a few pics on posts and think is a really nice adjustment you did! Seems more towards the amber side which just seems to show up much better in many places. Is easy to adjust colors in my themes as all sheets refer back to gtk.main.css or presently gtk.css. Dropped extra files as is not good for those that wish to adjust things to have to fiddle through tons of files! Main reason I got into all this. Am no programmer, so had to come up with something to make it easier for everyone to adjust the theme. Everyone else puts the numbers on every sheet, not me! Am looking forward to the completion of this next OS am presently working on to be able to enjoy the KDE environment a little more. Yes, just install full Gnome and it winds up installing KDE too! So is there! Addicted to this building OS's and things!!!! Might not be a pro, but I enjoy it. Will get better as I move along!!! I always enjoy seeing change and will reiterate your choice of text coloring is great! Anyway hoping to be back up on the real hard drive instead of using this flash with No2 OS with missing pieces!!!! So far No3 is very complete, just needs a once over before I close it!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:51 am

Xxjoker21xX wrote:The only way i was able to do it was install your bb3 theme viewtopic.php?f=57&t=9481
then go in theme setings and change the colors to what i wanted for the text and background ,wasnt anything against your design but i cant ever leave anything alone I must tweak IT....I installed gold curser and icons theme and took the color droper and got the gold from the icons and applyed it to all text I also changed the window trim but tis up to you and walawala bingbang new theme
:downthere <BREW> :D

Screenshot-8.png

Just so ya know. That is not KDE, and if you want to change the text in KDE you still go to

SystemSettings-->Application Appearance-->Colours-->Colours, then you can change

View Text
Window Text
Button Text
Selection Text
Selection Inactive Text
Inactive Text
Link Text
Visited Text
Negative Text
Neutral Text
Positive Text
Inactive Title Bar Text

or you can just change the color scheme with one of the several installed or whatever in
System Settings-->Application Appearance-->Colours

When it comes to applications that only support GTK however, you are going to run into issues. You can get around these with qtcurve and deal with each application directly or you can just switch the whole setup to GTK if all you use is GTK style and applications.

Don't get me wrong, that is a great picture of what I am assuming is Mate and I don't intend discouragement, just you know..not KDE.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:30 am

While both you are on the subject a bit about mate, am just curious if they have plans to break free of Gnome as their counterpart, Cinnamon??? Interested in that desktop also, but you know me want the whole piece of the pie not just part! I know is easier to find the right parts for mate vs gnome, but need the challenge to learn more! Is fun this new one, right now is almost impossible for it to be running but it is? You know when you have 5000 pieces of programs and files to go through are bound to miss 50 to a hundred, right??? Well, back to it, loads of work! Am just hoping one of you can give me an update on the mate desktop as am bogged down, not able to check. Thanks and still say those looks are on the money, Xxjoker!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I already have Windows 7. I get enough of it at school and on one of my netbooks, I don't need to turn my Linux into it as well.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Xxjoker21xX wrote:Yup its very responcive and quickly does anything i tell it to just had a slight learning curve where everything was and how to get my goodies on hear likes on gnome and Im happy with it. I was wondering what the best way to share this setup so others can download and use it if they wanted? :D <BREW> :downthere I use kde conponents in it available through the synaptic :!: can use gnome themes also like bb3.

You can use remastersys or just remaster it in other ways, or Ubuntu Builder, etc, Although I wouldn't recommend it at this stage, but no reason not to try. I think you are giving too much credit for having applications that run on KDE being ran on Mate. They kind of are just..idk..Linux apps. The File Manager is certainly important in this aspect. For example you are probably not generally using Caja, but Nautilus. While you pretty much have to have Caja to run Mate you can run whatever File Managers you wish on Mate. You wouldn't usually turn around and say that you are running Gnome Components on Mate. Now maybe if you were running kwin on Mate that would be a little different.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Hey Xan, did the developer of Remastersys ever cool off and rename it or something???? Last thing I saw was this: http://remastersys.com/. I know there were issues with it not working on 13.04, will still work on 12.10 or 12.04 which is a better bet. I know muriana still at it big time with Ubuntu-Builder! Is nice for us lazy folks!!! Still am saying would love to see some sort of split with the Mate desktop. See if I were to go an install it on one of my systems, there goes Gnome 3 down the drain! Was the same way with Cinnamon, but now they split from that tangle and are a separate desktop. If memory serves me right, both Mate and Cinnamon came out close to the same time? Now am not positive on this! So, is why I asked the above question if they are also planning a split. I would love the chance of running them side by side as presently am doing with Cinnamon. Is just interesting in all the studying am doing with systems and desktops!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Yeeahhh, I have ran into issues definitely. When I was trying to make a 32 bit KDE I ended up using a 12.04.3 and running a dist to get around problems I was having with 13.04 and .10. It did work, I can't remember the specifics though, the GUI was limited I think, so it was either drop Remastersys or go backwards. There were other issues, like Firefox only wanting to use Nautilus and I ended up dropping. In truth I am more trying to unravel 13.04 with latest updates at the moment, but I will run a Remastersys any minute now.

I am pretty positive remastersys is not how I want to build but I am limited in knowledge and ability. I like the mechanics of Puppy Remaster a little better as there is more control in file management, with remastersys you sort of have to see it as setting up an empty session for the live/new user. This can get complicated since it is a little better to stay off the system with user mannerisms, internet, etc. Last thing you want to do is release a system with all your personal information and hardware settings attached.

With Cinnamon, there were issues with Multi-De more so than running straight Cinnamon, so say if you are running a straight up say, Nadia Cinnamon, you really shouldn't have that many issues, depending on what you are trying to do. Oddly though when I hear of a really sturdy and steady Mint system it is usually in reference to Mint XFCE, not Mate or Cinnamon, and since I do not believe them and have no intentions of finding out I will just have to take their word for it. If Cinnamon can run on its own that's great, but that doesn't really mean that there won't be issues when installing Gnome 3, or that a version of another DE won't cause problems, like with Unity and Gnome. Last Multi DE system I ran dist on actually removed Unity and replaced it with the new Gnome Classic. The new Gnome Classic, btw, is very much like Cinnamon, and now Fallback is very distinct from that style. If I were to bet, I would bet that the latest Gnome 3 will cause issues with Mate and Cinnamon. You can still take LTS 12.04 and make multi DE happen because by LTS nature you should default out of the cutting edge because I mean, that's not the point of the LTS. If you are in the habit of update/upgrade on top of Multi-DE with the latest and greatest you are going to have issues. Lot of them. You kind of have to choose your direction. So if say, I wanted to use Cinnamon with another DE, I would probably install Mint. Since 13.10 just released I would twiddle my thumbs for a minute and then grab 16 and go from there. Thing is, you need to know how the DE runs on it's own before you can really determine what is causing any issues.

If I really wanted to emulate Windows though I would still use KDE. Least then I can still pull out the bag O' Eye Candy tricks whenever I wanted to. Gnome 3 is just horrible though. Intuition be damned we are GNOME. :roll:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Best bet is by command line! Too many headaches the other ways!!!! Trust me on this one. I spent since Sunday on this 3rd OS of mine and so far is thoroughly trashed! Sure I am to blame for part of it, but the rest goes to the program used and repos! Stick with the real repo's and stay away from anything experimental(testing) which Ubuntu looks down at severely!!!! Not sure how people are supposed to test their software, but when we are the guinea pig and the result is a desktop that does not work, is a terrible plan! Think after all this time messing with stuff, would know that, but was greedy! I wanted that 3.10 Gnome Desktop, instead I got the Johnny Cash one! You know the "One Piece at a Time!" Let's see its a 3.0, 3.1,3.2,3.3,3.4,3.6,3.8 and 3.10 Gnome Desktop Environment!!!!! Not that drastic but to be 100% honest is 3.4, 3.6,3.8 and 3.10. The end result what a piece of work it was!!! How incredible to not be able to have use of Gnome Tweak, bottom panel, coloring, windows not closing, how sweet it was!!!!! Another thing, do your builds on a desktop not a laptop!!!!! I made that dreadful mistake again! Mouse is broke for it no extra keyboard, you get shadows over the touchpad and watch out there goes those nice long lines of code!!!! Better off on the desktop. Now if I would have had it all written down, which was but on the other drive(not accessible at the time!) might have helped things! Lot of poor luck here just hope something ends this reign of bad luck am having!!!! Anyway just hope it helps some people not fall down the same hole as I did!!!!! Lot of work to do!!! Back in a while
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Not about Windows, that OS I spent far too many years on! No is about Linux and Gnome, what a pain it all is for us younger builders. Now do not go by my age on that!!!! See I was a fool and did not get into computers at all until 2002. Then instead of moving onto other OS's I stagnated with Windows. Is not that I am totally repulsed at Windows, is more the fact I am repulsed at myself for not exploring other operating systems until my entrance to College in 2011. I just blindly accepted the fact Windows was the only one to use! I was a real fool! I guess now after this realization of loosing so many years to foolishness, I am pushing myself real hard to learn Linux! Have to remember, at this point I have only used Linux for a total of 1 year and 7 months. Most people would not even attempt to build a Linux OS until 2 or 3 years into it, yet I am now hard at work on my 3rd!

In fact, I just watched the laptop load it! Have to ensure is functional which takes time also! If you go on distrowatch you will see many alphas and betas. Many systems take anywhere from a month to a year to become real! I basically am trying to push for good to go in a week, which is not easy at all! This is 2 time up on it and still a few problems, nothing half as severe when I used ricotz/testing which I firmly recommend against when building the desktop. If you want to try them after is built, do it. Just do not build with them or watch out! Parts will not match and you will have like I stated above!!!!

If you ever decide to built a Linux OS remember to be packed with plenty or Aspirin! Many many headaches to doing this! Least with themes do not work dump and start over, these too much work to start over and have to repair so takes time and patience. Patience is still not at all one of my strong points! Once again even though I have the good, bad and the ugly gstreamers in that OS still can never find mplex! Would love to know that trick!!!!! I get all utilities for DVD's, when it comes to information being retrieved is a must! Oh well, never win on that mplex deal tired of fighting it that is why I use K9COPY. Brasero is just too secretive about how you get that mplex gstreamer to work!!!! Well back to work maybe next time around will be good to go!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Kde and Other Desktop Environments