Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

KDE themes unsure what is going wrong?

KDE themes unsure what is going wrong?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I decided to check into themes for KDE, so I downloaded a couple installed one then the other and presto no change or hardly any! Now just a little look into these files and can see there is more than just standard generic coloring. So I have a bad feeling something is not right on my KDE desktop. I figure those of you that use that desktop all the time can maybe shed some light. Will also say, the second to the last theme I did for Gnome Looks called Black Beauty II, am sunk on it. Guess it really grew on me and would sure love to make it happen on the KDE desktop! Is a riot as I thought the green text would never be enjoyable to me and now really like it! Going to try for Windows also, as the coloring on the text just seems to work great for me! Anyway as I love working on stuff like this will sure like to know how to do it right and I know you KDE users like Ryanvade are aces at it! I have seen the pictures and the looks kick you know what!!!! I figure has to be something I am not doing right. As I always say, got so sunk on Gnome, hardly go to other desktops! Still I just have to get some KDE under my belt as I like the workings of their programs, just so far the desktop is on the ugly side so sure want to change that! Thanks in advance!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: KDE themes unsure what is going wrong?

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:16 pm

What are the themes?

Also...umm..so

Like if they are oxygen it doesn't matter. If you want to make a theme with oxygen you go to system settings, application appearance, colors, colors, and make it. Then save it. Done.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:18 pm

It's not gnome where you need 38 other programs to make a simple theme change that won't work with the next update.

However, if you miss installing programs to make theme changes

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=9273

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I hope you are not thinking am cutting KDE down at all Xan, nope am cutting down myself! I get stuck on something and fall in big time! Now trying to get myself out of the rut and learning KDE! Will bet is that dekorator I am missing! Am being 100% honest when I say I looked at yours and looks great!!!! Mine did not do nothing but change the bottom task bar! So I know I have to missing something??? I tried this (irony) Ambiance one for KDE and some other dark type theme and just the task bar got a little darker and nothing else changed! So right there knew something is not right at all!!!! Will install dekorator tomorrow and let you know what happens! Sure I love the looks of Gnome, but to be honest if I do not use one the themes I made, then watch out! Takes about 3 log outs before is working right! KDE only ever takes one shot and is loaded and running fine! Even with my themes here and there takes a second login to work! Yes am dreading when Gnome 4 comes out most likely none of my themes will work then! So want to be prepared for all desktops if they go to far south!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Dekorator is more for WM. For overall theme, you really can control it with the GUI in most instances. The first thing to do is forget about gnome. If you want to go really hardcore you can use qtcurve but it hasn't been so kind with upgrading so I avoid it. You can also just use your gtk theme.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 am

That sounded off. I don't mean forget about gnome, kde rulz, lol. I mean more for getting used to how kde works. So the panel can be changed independant of the WM and vice versa, but the reason I mention oxygen is it will flow more through the desktop. So you have oxygen style, oxygen desktop, and oxygen window dec. In this manner when you set your colors up, which can then be saved as theme or remain altered within another color scheme, but will be more apparent when changes are introduced..which is pretty quick, but you do need to close and reopen windows..so if say..dolphin was open and you changed the window background, to see it take effect, you would close and reopen dolphin. With oxygen you also have the power of shadows which can be changed as well by configuring in window decorations.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 am

You can see by the picture below am having close to no results! All I get is a change in bottom task bar and around the top on the menu. All else stays that sickly pale color that comes stock with KDE. I mean if I was able to get it looking half as great as you have yours looking, I can deal with that desktop! My eyes just can not take that pale stuff for long periods of time! This is reminding me of this old commercial that used to be on TV. Had this fat, ugly old Russian woman walking down a model runway. Each time she was carrying something different, but the clothes she wore remained the same! Announcer would say "Evening wear" Non sexual, grim look on her face she would be carrying a purse. Swimwear would be announced next and same clothes and actions this time she was carrying a beachball! I think you will get the comparison and understand what I am talking about when you see look at this picture! Is like anything I do and just those 2 points change! Everything else remains the same! Just has to be something I am not doing right! The picture of the theme I downloaded called "Doomsday" looked like would be definitely nice to look at while I figured how to get my own looks going. Of course is the same, taskbar changes and rim around menu but windows remain sickly color! I know someone would not go through all this trouble to create a theme and have no looks to it! Then I see your pictures and are awesome to look at and know something has to be way off over here!!!! Anyway here's the pic and maybe you have some more insight on how to change this or my KDE desktop is a loss!
Attachments
No_Change_KDE.png
KDE_SWIMWEAR
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:27 am

Ok, here..

When I say system settings, application appearance, colors, colors, or systemsettings-->application appearance-->colors-->colors, this is the sequence...

systemsettings.png

application_appearance.png

colors.png

colors_2.png

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 am

You are in systemsettings-->workspace appearance-->desktop theme

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Okay now I am feeling foolish! See, I was under the impression that it ran something like Gnome that you just installed the theme and was all there? See have to understand am new to KDE desktop settings. Am at present starting to work on the text colors. Am terrible in that aspect as I just do not want to see white or black. Feels like I am reading a newspaper and bugs my eyes! So I stay in the 7's and 9's for text coloring which is quite visible and bright enough for me! The full onslaught of f's just tears my eyes up. Is even rough on the white pages on here at times! I think I am going to like this once I get it set and will send a pic! So far am loving the menu with amber and green text, looks awesome! If is going to go as is going, will bet I spend some time on this desktop!! Thanks Xan, always there when any of us need you! You are one great person to give so much to us all and is definitely a blessing to have you here!!!! When I get done setting it up will be back up and post a pic!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Kde and Other Desktop Environments