Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

(Discussion)How to install the latest KDE from backports.

Re: (Discussion)How to install the latest KDE from backports

Postby billhedrick » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

my bad 3.4 lite 3.5.0-18 Generic 64 bit from the contributor list
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:16 pm

O.k.

I actually broke mine trying to get Software Centre installed and never got back around to it. I think there were issues regarding being able to recognise the Ubuntu version, but I will look back into it. Personally it is kind of a waste, it is just Mate 1.6 instead of 1.4 on 3.4 lite, and as I have stated, it is far easier to just use 3.4 lite instead of 3.4.1 since in the process, Mate will move up to version 1.6 anyways.

The process for 3.4 lite is basically

Fresh install

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install kde-full

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

sudo reboot

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 pm

yea, basically did that. Now I have to putz with KDE until it works like I want it to. Not a huge fan of the dark themes in KDE so I have to work with that a bit. Also compiz is not working yet.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Themes can be adjusted to the most minute colour detail in systemsettings-->application appearance-->colors-->colors and on top of that there are approximately 459 trillion other themes you can use so I wouldn't really worry about that too much, what I would worry about is why I was messing around with compiz in KDE since KDE uses kwin.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 pm

As a rule, use KDE programs for adjusting KDE and you will be fine, deviation will bring error and see "waste of time" above. Most Ultimate Edition users have adapted to using Gnome programs to make changes with environments and that was fine before Gnome decided they weren't interested in having an OS that people might want to use and started concentrating on the Gnome 3 way, which as far as I can tell is the equivalent of tying your shoelaces on both shoes together and going for a run.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm

This is important. After install, make sure you switch to compiz right away and forget about metacity. Then install KDE. KDE will use kwin and Mate will use Compiz. You more or less want to forget about the compiz-fusion icon completely after that since it will cause nothing but trouble. I am sure this is one reason KDE works so well with Diamond and before 13.04 release, worked so well with Black Opal, you are not fooling around with this, you log in to the environment and it has its window manager working in accordance, so Unity, Classic w/effects are running compiz, and classic w/o effects and Gnome 3 are using metacity, and KDE after install will use kwin. If your PC can't handle it, it will switch to metacity in Unity, and you won't be using KDE..simple.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Here's my stance on kernels.."Is my system working..y/n..y= don't care about kernel, n= maybe I should try a different kernel" While it is true KDE has made significant improvements with later versions, especially when compared to 4.8.5(DRASTIC IMPROVEMENTS) this is hardly the case across the Linux spectrum. Often when seeking higher numbers, this is all you get..a higher number, and in the case of Gnome 3, moving from 3.6 to 3.8 will bring shame and disgrace upon your family. Also it probably won't work, and your themes will most likely break.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 pm

billhedrick wrote:yea, basically did that. Now I have to putz with KDE until it works like I want it to. Not a huge fan of the dark themes in KDE so I have to work with that a bit. Also compiz is not working yet.

Remember..I am referencing 3.4 Lite and not 3.4.1 lite, I have no faith in the .1's for KDE install, or really upgrading at all for that matter. Much of Ultimate Edition is based off of how it works as is, and not so much what happens after upgrade as there is no accountability for Ubuntu and various other repos and the changes that were made on that level.

I also don't exactly promote this type of usage unless you just want your computer to do certain things, if you like to experiment, and see what is happening on the developmental level of projects and the latest versions, for the love of Ninjas, please do, but it is good to keep in mind you are in uncharted waters. What I do is test everything on a really crappy drive, this allows me to experiment without having to worry, if the OS is sound and stable, then I move the whole system to another drive via DD. If it isn't..oh well. If the drive dies I am hardly without a system. For laptops, remember you can always run a system externally via External Drive/USB stick/SD card, etc.., by installing to this, but with an external drive you have to have a home partition for it to work, and you can also DD from one drive type to another, so if you have an SD install you can DD this to your harddrive, update your grub and viola.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby ryanvade » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 pm

KDE netbook Edition. :D
kde-netbook.png

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm not gonna lie..not a big fan of KDE netbook, but I may have to look at it again, it reminded me too much of Lubuntu Netbook I guess.

Thinking..it is odd that there is so much hate for KDE from Ultimate Edition when Ultimate Edition for me really stood out because of the eye-candy..and let me just say..

COMPIZ IZ DEAD! LONG LIVE KWIN!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Kde and Other Desktop Environments