Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ethernet Disabled In Ultimate Edition 2.7 - Weird Issues, First Timer

Frequently Asked Questions

Re: Ethernet Disabled In Ultimate Edition 2.7 - Weird Issues

Postby ryanvade » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I am using the same Ethernet card as you.(except that mine is coupled with a ralink wireless card. Which explains the missing (B). I am using a laptop ;) ) Odd that you are having issues. Why don't you try Ultimate Edition 3.5 on your system, but install the newest kernel. Preferably following a guide here on the forums. If you upgrade your system like other Ubuntu systems you will more then likely break it. By the way, 3.5 had KDE. :D (3.5 is my favorite version because of this. I prefer KDE too. Although Unity is great on laptops. )

Maybe
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8633
or
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9038 (MINE :lol: )
or
https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum ... =23&t=4806 (liquorix kernel)

All of the above tutorials install at least kernel 3.6, which is the first kernel to "officially" support your processor. I HIGHLY recomend upgrading the kernel to at least 3.6. If you can though, build it yourself from source.

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Mastodonian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks for the input fellas, on both of my threads. I'll post here since it seems to be the most frequented post between my two help threads.

Honestly just going to the most recent version would probably be best, as Ultimate Edition is the only Linux distro that I've tried to boot older versions of. I'll download a ISO for it and give it a go.

I know this isn't a relevant thread for this question, but I honestly need help fixing my hard drive(s). My Windows hard drive is fine, but the one I boot Linux on has a bunch of left over partitions and fragments from testing out distros. I'm also having problems booting some of my external hard drives because I had an OS installed on it (Believe it or not, I used my laptop without a battery or internal hard drive and booted off of an external hard drive with Ubuntu 12.04 on it). I don't know how to reset them and get them back to normal. Could you link me a guide for fixing them, or point me in the right direction?
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby ryanvade » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Well, I would use Gparted. Then open Gparted. After selecting the correct drive (be very careful selecting the drive) you can right click the partition and delete them. OR open Gparted --> Device --> Create Partition Table ... --> this will allow you to completely wipe the drive. Or you could try something like this:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... tep-guide/

But using Gparted will be better. If you want to wipe the MBR (Where the bootloader is placed) you could use this:
Code: Select all
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd*# bs=512 count=1

Or you can use fdisk from a terminal. In short there are many choices. Gparted I think is the best for users who are new to wiping and creating partitions.

6 GB ram 2 GB ram

ryanvade

Postby Mastodonian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Alright! I got it fixed and defragmented. It's ready for another clean installation and I'm currently downloading Ultimate Edition 3.5 and hopefully it will work this time. If not I'll be back posting here once again.
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Mastodonian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:24 pm

3.5 had the same issues as 3.4 lite did. I can't get either of them to boot, even while following Ryanvade's instructions. Linux Mint KDE 13 has the same problem. Same with Kubuntu 12.04. It looks like the only way to get KDE is to install a Linux distro that will actually run and just manually install the Desktop Environment. Not much I can do at this point, I'm down to one blank DVD-R.
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby ryanvade » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 pm

I really don't think the problem is KDE. Okay, one last try.

Boot up the disk, in the grub menu remove quiet splash. Then add acpi=off noapic nolapic nomodeset

And give the disk some TIME. You are booting an entire system from a disk, this needs TIME.

Maybe even hold down SHIFT during boot. And select "Install Ultimate Edition" not the "Try Ultimate Edition without installing"

Oh and:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/203333/1 ... ia-gtx-580

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

6 GB ram 2 GB ram

ryanvade

Postby Mastodonian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:19 am

With your instructions from my other post I was able to fix my issues. Ultimate Edition 3.5 KDE is up and running perfectly. Thank you Ryanvade Xanayoshi for giving me input and helping me fix these issues. I learned a lot and (for now) all my issues have been fixed. Thanks again!
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition F.A.Q.