Ubuntu on Android??

Android phones and bounds.....chat about it here.


Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Tool » Thu May 30, 2013 1:55 am

Hey guys, I was curious about installing Ubuntu on Android. I have found several sources that install Ubuntu on top of Android (chrooted) while keeping the Android OS intact. I was wondering if anybody knew of a reliable source for instructions on doing this safely? I have a rooted LG Motion 4G with a 1.5GHz dual core and supposedly 1GB RAM (I'm only reading slightly less than 800MB though) and has ICS. Thanks if anybody has a good source. :)
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
User avatar
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: Sacramento
Age: 37
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby ryanvade » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 pm

I think you just install from Android Market.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=ubuntu&c=apps
Image

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
User avatar
ryanvade
Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:54 am
Operating System: Other Linux



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Tool » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 pm

ryanvade wrote:I think you just install from Android Market.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=ubuntu&c=apps

Wow. Thanks. I tried a play store search before, but didn't get those results. I didn't really want the theme ones, but the one that changes the layout, which I found on that list. It was the Mod one.
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
User avatar
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: Sacramento
Age: 37
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Tool » Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I also tried a couple others, which are really way cool, but my screen isn't really big enough for the really good ones. Plus, I don't have a stylus pen for another that I like too. The one I tried imitates Ubuntu screen with the Unity Launcher on left, but was unable to add to launcher or screen making it really suck. I also noticed that one is a paid for info readily available on another site which I had already found, but was unsure of the methods safety. Thanks again. :D
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
User avatar
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: Sacramento
Age: 37
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby ryanvade » Thu May 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Your welcome.

I am just annoyed that Canonical announced this but did not give directions. None of the apps on the Store are really what they advertised.
Image

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
User avatar
ryanvade
Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:54 am
Operating System: Other Linux



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Tool » Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 pm

ryanvade wrote:Your welcome.

I am just annoyed that Canonical announced this but did not give directions. None of the apps on the Store are really what they advertised.

Yeah. The one I was actually looking for is on that list, but only gives directions to a free method on an android site that requires root. That was the one I was really after, but decided against it after looking at it cause of my small screen size.
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
User avatar
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: Sacramento
Age: 37
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby tanmay.01 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:33 am

I would suggest not installing Linux.
Instead you could install busybox and other tools.. which would be more fruitful.
Or you could try ubuntu for phone..if it supports you phone.
I tried it here ..viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9167
HP ENVY 15
•3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
• 1GB Radeon(TheeMahn) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI]
• 6GB 1600DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
• Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R)
• Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard.

Image
User avatar
tanmay.01
Moderator
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm
Location: India
Age: 27
Operating System: Other Linux



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Tool » Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm

tanmay.01 wrote:I would suggest not installing Linux.
Instead you could install busybox and other tools.. which would be more fruitful.
Or you could try ubuntu for phone..if it supports you phone.
I tried it here ..viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9167

The Ubuntu for phone is actually what I was initially after. I like the look of it, but decided against it as my screen is too small I feel for comfortable usage. There is another too which I believe is almost the same as that, but doesn't replace Android. It runs on top of it as the explanation said. Don't I already have a busybox installed as I am rooted? I would throw in a screenshot as I have it pretty cool right now, but whenever I try to add a file, I am forced logged out.
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
User avatar
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: Sacramento
Age: 37
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Tool wrote:
tanmay.01 wrote:I would suggest not installing Linux.
Instead you could install busybox and other tools.. which would be more fruitful.
Or you could try ubuntu for phone..if it supports you phone.
I tried it here ..viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9167

The Ubuntu for phone is actually what I was initially after. I like the look of it, but decided against it as my screen is too small I feel for comfortable usage. There is another too which I believe is almost the same as that, but doesn't replace Android. It runs on top of it as the explanation said. Don't I already have a busybox installed as I am rooted? I would throw in a screenshot as I have it pretty cool right now, but whenever I try to add a file, I am forced logged out.


Off-Topic :
what is the file name of your screenshot? Make sure there are no spaces and random gobblydook..like, make it simple, then try. So if the file of pic is "screenshot 2-15-2017 758493930057", rename it to like.."pic".
Image

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Xanayoshi
Moderator
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:46 pm
Location: Kitsap County
Age: 40
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT



Re: Ubuntu on Android??

Postby Tool » Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Xanayoshi wrote:
Tool wrote:
tanmay.01 wrote:I would suggest not installing Linux.
Instead you could install busybox and other tools.. which would be more fruitful.
Or you could try ubuntu for phone..if it supports you phone.
I tried it here ..viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9167

The Ubuntu for phone is actually what I was initially after. I like the look of it, but decided against it as my screen is too small I feel for comfortable usage. There is another too which I believe is almost the same as that, but doesn't replace Android. It runs on top of it as the explanation said. Don't I already have a busybox installed as I am rooted? I would throw in a screenshot as I have it pretty cool right now, but whenever I try to add a file, I am forced logged out.


Off-Topic :
what is the file name of your screenshot? Make sure there are no spaces and random gobblydook..like, make it simple, then try. So if the file of pic is "screenshot 2-15-2017 758493930057", rename it to like.."pic".

I've already done that. I haven't been able to add a shot on here for awhile. I'm not sure what the issue is. When I go to add file it opens a seperate window saying adding file, then a moment later it logs me out. I've tried on Chrome and Firefox with same results. Thanks for the tips though. If you want, I could make a short vid, put it on youtube and give you the link so you could see exactly what it is doing? I named the files as such shot1.png shot2.png etc.
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
User avatar
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: Sacramento
Age: 37
Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT


Return to Android Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests