Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

BROKE 4 NOW DONT USE! How to: ATI Driver on Ultimate Edition

Post your How to's here

BROKE 4 NOW DONT USE! How to: ATI Driver on Ultimate Edition

Postby drama » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 am

UPDATE JULY 29TH 10:04AM PLEASE DONT USE THIS. IT IS BROKEN AND HAS BEEN FOR ALMOST 2 MONTHS NOW. IM WORKING A SOLUTION BUT HAVE YET TO FIND THE ISSUE. THE BUILD WILL FAIL EVERY TIME. FOR NOW PLS USE ENVY.

Edit: I have copied this from another thread, drama is very knowledgeable, many have had success using this how to. TheeMahn

updated to latested version on april 19th 2008 8:24a.m.

the ati restricted driver (fglrx) now includes aiglx finally. for those that dont know about aiglx it basically replaces xgl and allows you have direct rendering enabled even while running compiz/beryl.

the latest version of compiz has made things increasingly harder (at least with my card). surprisingly enough it isnt ati's fault this time. the blame goes to the compiz devs. in the past there was a file /usr/bin/compiz (well its still there but has changed drasticly). basically they removed the section for blacklist pcids. why i have no clue. i think it worked perfectly the way it was. yes you had to edit it from time to time (unblacklisting your card after you install fglrx) but it cased no problems. now since they removed thats ection you now have to completely remove everything compiz and emerald related before we can even start (i did anyway). why you ask? its simple because the pcid blacklist is no longer there compiz tries to start but due to incompatabilities your desktop shows then it kicks you right back out to gdm again. yes you could install from a shell but i think most people would rather not be stuck in a shell unless they had no choice.

that being said lets get this show on the road.

first things first. if you have compiz running shut it down. go to system-->preferences--> apperence click the visual tab and click none. this will shut off compiz.

next we will remove all traces of compiz and emerald. not to worry though we will add it back later.

run the following command in a terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get purge emerald emerald-dbg libemeraldengine0 libemeraldengine-dev compiz compiz-bcop compiz-compcomm-plugins-main compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-core compiz-dev compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-gnome compiz-kde compiz-plugins gnome-compiz-manager libcm7 libcm-dev libcompizconfig0 libcompizconfig0-dev libcompizconfig-backend-gconf libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig libdecoration0 libdecoration0-dev libgnome-compiz-manager0 libgnome-compiz-manager0-dev python-compizconfig

now you may not have had everyone of these packages installed i just took this list from a search of compiz/emerald. this will remove any that are installed though. i HAD to do this for the reason stated above.

next step is removing all traces of fglrx so we have a clean slate. there are two ways of doing this depending on how you have installed it in the past.

if you installed through the restricted drivers manager do the following: simply open the manager and remove the check. but dont reboot when it asks you to.

if you installed either manually (using this guide or another one) or used envy do the following (if you used the manager it still wouldnt hurt to do this jus to make sure you got everything)

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

where it says driver change it from "fglrx" to "ati" then save this file

next do some cleaning.

sudo apt-get purge xserver-xgl xorg-driver-fglrx-dev xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx-sources fglrx-kernel-source fglrx-control fglrx-amdcccle

now you can reboot.

now when your system comes back up you wint have any window decorations so open a terminal and do the following

metacity --replace

now whatever you do DONT close that terminal or you will lose your decorations again. instead click file then open new tab. we will do all of our work from this new tab.

now we need to get some nessesary tools.

sudo apt-get install module-assistant build-essential fakeroot dh-make debconf bzip2 wget debhelper libstdc++5 linux-headers-generic dkms

next we switch to /var/tmp and grab the installer.

cd /var/tmp

grab the installer

wget -c --no-check-certificate https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8-4-x86.x86_64.run

depending on your connection speed this might take 5mins or more (its about 50mb) you will see the progress in the terminal.

after it gets finished we will now use it to compile our packages (debs).

sudo bash ati-driver-installer-8-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy

this might take a min or 2 depending on the speed of your pc. once again the progress will show in the terminal. dont worry if it looks like its froze its really not.

after thats finished we need to Remove any old fglrx debs from /usr/src/:

sudo rm /usr/src/fglrx-kernel*.deb

it might say directory doesnt exist. thats fine its nothing to worry about.

now install the packages.

sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_8.476-0ubuntu1_i386.deb xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.476-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.476-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.476-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

after those install it will automatically build the kernel module. thats right we dont have to do it manually anymore thanks to dkms.

now reboot.

to get our decorations we need to start metacity exactly as before

metacity --replace

go to file new tab as before

now we need to do some initial config of the driver. run the following two commands (one at a time)

sudo aticonfig --initial --force

sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv --force

now reboot again

metacity --replace

file new tab just like the last two times.

now we need to do some light edits to xorg.conf.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

change

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "0"
EndSection

to

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "1"
EndSection

if it doesnt exist just add it.

Under Section "ServerLayout", add this just above where it says end section:

Option "AIGLX" "True"

once again if it doesnt exist add it.

now its time to put compiz and emerald back on our system.

sudo apt-get install compiz emerald compiz-fusion-plugins-main compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig-backend-gconf libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig compiz-fusion-plugins-extra gnome-compiz-manager libcm7 libcompizconfig0 libgnome-compiz-manager0

now we need to make a small modification to /usr/bin/compiz so emerald will autostart

sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz

look for a line that looks like this

# Defines the decorator and arguments.
# Set it to empty to make the script use the best decorator for your environment
DECORATOR=""
DECORATORARGS=""

now change it so it looks like this

# Defines the decorator and arguments.
# Set it to empty to make the script use the best decorator for your environment
DECORATOR="emerald"
DECORATORARGS="--replace"

now save that file.

reboot (last time i promise)

now when you login compiz should auto start. we need to do a few checks though. open a window and check that your decorations are there. then grab it & move it around. if it wobbles compiz is working. if not then we have a slight issue that needs to be trouble shooted.

also run the following to commands to be sure they output what they should

fglrxinfo

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7415 Release

your renderer string may not exactly match that. but the vendor and version strings should.

next make sure we have direct rendering

glxinfo | grep direct

should output the following

direct rendering: Yes

if compiz is working and the last to commands output as i stated we can now get rid of the created files.

cd /var/tmp

delete the files but running the following series of commands

sudo rm -i /var/tmp/fglrx*

sudo rm -i /var/tmp/ati*

sudo rm -i /var/tmp/xorg*

it will ask you to confirm each one. hit y followed by enter.

thats the end of the process. if you run into any problems feel free to post and ill get back to you as soon as i can.

cheers :-)

-drama

p.s. if anyone see anywhere this could be improved or thinks of anything (hints tips ect) dont hesitate to mention it.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: How to: ATI Driver on Ultimate Edition

Postby karlec » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Thanks much! this howto saved me a lot of aggravation.
karlec
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Re: How to: ATI Driver on Ultimate Edition (updated 1/31/08)

Postby Plesetsk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:19 am

Hello
I have some problems with installing driver on my ati mobility radeon HD2600 (512MB)

step 8:
plesetsk@plesetsk-laptop:~$ sudo ln -sf /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/fglrx.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/volatile/fglrx.ko
[sudo] password for plesetsk:
ln: creating symbolic link `/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile/fglrx.ko' to `/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/misc/fglrx.ko': No such file or directory
plesetsk@plesetsk-laptop:~$

Step 9: while booting i have the next message
* Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/misc/fglrx.ko' No such file or directory

Step 13: there is no
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "0"
EndSection
in my xorg.conf

i just add
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "1"
EndSection
there

After install i have no 3D acceleration.

Can you help me?
Plesetsk
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Postby drama » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:10 pm

first let me say for the record. this howto is a few releases outdated (new drivers come out monthly). i havent been able to update it because i just got my box back up. that being said.

i am also having the exact same issue w/ the latest version of the driver. yea i kno the "ati mahn" is actually lost. but hey it happens rite.

although im not exactly sure why your not able to get 3d acceleration working on the version from this howto worked great for me (different card tho "x200"). we can do a few checks.

Plesetsk wrote:step 8:
plesetsk@plesetsk-laptop:~$ sudo ln -sf /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/fglrx.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/volatile/fglrx.ko
[sudo] password for plesetsk:
ln: creating symbolic link `/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile/fglrx.ko' to `/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/misc/fglrx.ko': No such file or directory
plesetsk@plesetsk-laptop:~$

Step 9: while booting i have the next message
* Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/misc/fglrx.ko' No such file or directory

i didnt realize it at the time. but the symlink isnt needed anymore. we can fix this boot error very easily. open terminal and run the following:

gksu gedit /etc/rc.local

remove the following

insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/fglrx.ko

Step 13: there is no
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "0"
EndSection
in my xorg.conf

i just add
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "1"
EndSection
there

could you also do the following:

post your xorg.conf

gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

jus post all the text from that file. also note i didnt add "sudo" this is so we dont accidently edit this file at all.

also post the output from the following 2 commands.

fglrxinfo

glxinfo | grep direct

in the meantime i will keep searching for possible causes & solutions to your problem

p.s. in the end we may have to start all over and compile the newest version of the drivers.

another solution is also to use ENVY however if you would be willing to hang in there and see if we can do this manually it would be great. please dont think that i want to use you as a genia pig. this is not what i am trying to do. however since i dont have one of the hd series cards or even ever had experience with one anything i can learn from this situation would benefit the WHOLE community. me and you included.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby ragavendra_bn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi,
I tried all the above steps on Ultimate Edition 1.7 with ATI Radeon X1200

Result: I guess fglrx drivers are working but the graphics are slow

root@ragavendra:~# glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

root@ragavendra:~# fglrxinfo
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: http://www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)

Reply to me as what could be done
ragavendra_bn
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby drama » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:50 am

ragavendra_bn wrote:Hi,
I tried all the above steps on Ultimate Edition 1.7 with ATI Radeon X1200

Result: I guess fglrx drivers are working but the graphics are slow

root@ragavendra:~# glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

root@ragavendra:~# fglrxinfo
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: http://www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)

Reply to me as what could be done

hmm first off why are you running as root? this is very very dangerous. you should use sudo (this gives you temp admin privs) instead of the root account.

as far as the main problem goes. the fact that you get mesa indecates they arent properly installed. where there any errors at all during the process? perhaps while installing the .deb files you created or during the modules build process? the module should be build automatically after the debs are installed but that doesnt mean there werent errors. these are the only things i can think of.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)