Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

New forum section added

News & Events etc. will be posted here.

Re: New forum section added

Postby billhedrick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:14 am

First, Chromium and all other browsers are not that smart. If they don't understand something, they call it malware, i.e., a file that could damage your computer. go back and download and install the deb. tar.gz files require a lot more work, there is probably a shell script file in the folder (xxx.sh) that you can use to build the application, I've done it, it's a bit more difficult than just double clicking on a .deb and letting it doe it's thing.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Meister » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Billie Cowie wrote:I was trying to download a deb file for x386, rather than the tar.gz file/. I was warned by the Chromium browser " this type of file may damage your computer".I think that may have been the problem,though I find that confusing as I thought Ubuntu distros were built on Debian.Am I wrong?
I haven't had this problem before as the occasional software downloads I have tried have more or less installed themselves.
Anyway I cancelled the download and have just downloaded the tar.gz for ultimate-player0.7.4.
Tried sudo apt-get install ultimate-player0.7.4
and get the message " package not found"
Downloaded file to downloads and used extract here but now I am lost as to what to do next.
Any advice on where to go from here

If you would prefer not to bother I understand it was my inept reading skills that cause this :) , if you would like to try it i would just get the deb file and let it do its thing. Honestly if anything here can fork your system up Thee normally warns people. Honestly again man i seem to like that word , but to point users like you and myself are the target for Ultimate Edition . We are n00bs and may not know all the ins and outs , but Thee is trying to make everything easy so anyone can pick up a copy of Ultimate Edition and go to work kinda like that other os.
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Billie - the thing to remember about the source code file you are talking of is that TheeMann pointed out to me that he hasn't changed the executable file name that you will end up with. It isn't called Ultimate Player when you have finished copying and running all the code, it is called clementine.

If you have success installing everything (which I'm sure you will) you will have to run the file clementine from the folder that is created from the source file. For me this was found in the folder /home/your_username/Downloads/ultimate-player-0.7.4/bin and then you should see a file called clementine.

Double click the file (you may have to do this twice for the first time in a session - don't know why, it opens with one double click after that). It should now open to present you with a familiar RythmBox come Banshee looking interface.
I have just tried it out with my Samsung Galaxy S and it syncs with it no problem and plays music from it easy. It doesn't play video files though (at least not on mine) but, you can get the sound from the .mp4 file.

Hope this helps.

Dougal.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby Meister » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:41 pm

dougal wrote:Billie - the thing to remember about the source code file you are talking of is that TheeMann pointed out to me that he hasn't changed the executable file name that you will end up with. It isn't called Ultimate Player when you have finished copying and running all the code, it is called clementine.

If you have success installing everything (which I'm sure you will) you will have to run the file clementine from the folder that is created from the source file. For me this was found in the folder /home/your_username/Downloads/ultimate-player-0.7.4/bin and then you should see a file called clementine.

Double click the file (you may have to do this twice for the first time in a session - don't know why, it opens with one double click after that). It should now open to present you with a familiar RythmBox come Banshee looking interface.
I have just tried it out with my Samsung Galaxy S and it syncs with it no problem and plays music from it easy. It doesn't play video files though (at least not on mine) but, you can get the sound from the .mp4 file.

Hope this helps.

Dougal.

Very much so Sir and thank you the more we can get tested the more we know what works and what does not and in the end the better products you all see :)
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies and advice,folks.
I think I'll leave the tar.gz file alone for now. Downloaded the x386deb file and in Ubuntu software centre it said wrong architecture. My mistake.-my computer is 64 bit. I have just come in from work so I will try downloading one of the 64bit files tomorrow when I have more time. I am using a dongle and the weather isn't too good here, download speed keeps dropping dramatically. I'll let you all know how I get on.
I definitely want to try it out anyway.Catch you later after I catch some zzzzzzz's.
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:31 am

Downloaded ultimate-player_0.7.3_natty_amd64.deb . After double-clicking it opens in Ubuntu Software Centre with the message Dependancy is not satisfiable : libglew1.5( >= 1.5.7.is.1.5.2).
Program won't install.
Checked in the terminal and libglew1.5 is installed and is said to be most up-to date version.
Any advice guys?
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby gjringo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:58 am

This other option I prefer may work; open the file with a right mouse click to display the context menu and choose "Open With GDebi Package Installer".
Sometimes one way will work when the other won`t.
"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."
Carroll Quigley, 'Tragedy and Hope'

KUBUNTU : 13.10
OS4 OpenLinux 13.7 KDE
nOS 1.5
Intel P45 Quad 9550 @2.83GHz
Intergrated Audio-Realtek ALC888 4GB DDR2
WD 500GB main drive WD320GB external drive
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB
BenQ G2410 HD display Altec Lansing 5.1 sound
2 Cor 13:14
gjringo
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby Billie Cowie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks Gringo,
I took your advice but it still didn't work. I get the same message.
" Dependancy is not satisfiable : libglew1.5(>=1.5.7.is.1.5.2)
It was worth a shot though.Thanks for trying to help.
I think I am going to have to leave it for now, or try wrestling with the tarball!
Cheers mate! :D
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pclinuxguru » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:26 pm

synaptic calls your version 1.5.7 ?

why not just remove your version, grab the one from here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+package/libglew1.5?

Make sure you grab the 1.5.2 version.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Billie Cowie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Guru,
tried the link but no joy. I get the same dependency error. I am sure I downloaded the right file, the top one right?
Anyway, I downloaded the ultimate_player deb for " lucid" to test that instead and although it seems happy enough with libglew I now have another dependency error-" Dependency is not sustainable : libimobiledvice0 (>=0.9.7) :oops:
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

PreviousNext

Return to News and Events