Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Toshiba laptop harddrives and installing Ultimate Edition

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Toshiba laptop harddrives and installing Ultimate Edition

Postby madhatter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm

I recently obtained a Toshiba Qosmio Laptop Model # Q25-AV513 that has two (2) 60gb hard drives...It did not come with any kind
of restore disc's...I want to install a Ultimate Edition distro on one hard drive and windows 7 on the other...I'm lost on how to do this...Something to do with Raid 0 and Raid 1, I think ??? I put windows 7 in the DVD drive and it booted up...when i got to the stage to install it...it said no hard drive could be found...after I stopped the install and it rebooted...it rebooted to Ultimate Edition 2.9...so
I know there is a hard drive...Also,when I installed Ultimate Edition 2.9 I wanted it to erase and use the whole hard drive...After it installed
and rebooted it was installed beside linux mint 9...I thought I screwed up some how, so I re-install Ultimate Edition 2.9 again and made sure
I hit the erase and use the whole hard drive...after another install and reboot...I now have two Ultimate Edition 2.9 side by side...If any body
out there that has one of these dual hard drive laptop's can explain how to work these hard drives in layman's term...I'm all ears

Thanks All
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge l4
Processor Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13ghz
( 4 CPU'S )
Windows 7 / U E 3.8
madhatter
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: Toshiba laptop harddrives and installing Ultimate Editio

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 am

Raid would be the wrong approach.

Set sata to ahci or ide.

Win 7 installed on one HDD first

Then Ultimate Edition after win 7 so grub configures correctly.

It is that simple.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby madhatter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for the prompt reply to my post...Would you please be so kind and tell me how to " set sata to ahci or ide " ??? Also,
If I do manage to get Windows 7 onto one hard drive...How do I make sure Ultimate Edition is being installed on the other ??? Thanks
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge l4
( 4 CPU'S )
Windows 7 / U E 3.8
madhatter
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:13 am

Very simple

1. Set via bios , you will need to enter bios and set up the sata controller .

2. Each HDD has it's own assigned address in Linux.

Windows will be sda so HDD 2 should be sdb . So just select the install to all of hard drive for second HDD.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 am

how to enter your bios.

Found this on ehow via google.

Instructions

Push the "Power" button on your computer to start the system if it is not turned on, or restart the computer if it is on. The BIOS can only be accessed when the computer is first booting up.

Press the "ESC" button when the "Toshiba" or "Qosmio" splash screen appears on the screen, followed by the "F1" button. The computer will stop the normal boot up procedure and switch to the BIOS settings.

Review the settings or make changes to the BIOS with the keyboard. Navigation is done with the arrow buttons, and selections are made with the "Enter" button, unless otherwise noted. The driver for the mouse is not loaded when you enter the BIOS settings and will not be available for use.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby madhatter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:17 pm

I went into the bios (setup) and was not able to find a " sata contoller " setting or any setting that has a place to " set sata to ahci or ide "... I must not being something right...
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge l4
( 4 CPU'S )
Windows 7 / U E 3.8
madhatter
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Might not be one.

Seen locked down bios set to raid and can not be changed before.

If this is the case, some work ahead there is.

1. you will need the raid drivers from the manufactures web site. They will need loaded during the windows install process.

2. Plenty of raid setup tutorials for Linux. Just let us know when ya get to that point.

BUT

Reckon I would look into the bios a bit more before I went that wrought.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Haha, I was looking for that. :D

I knew it was there, just didn't have time to post it. Thanks.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby madhatter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:39 pm

...OK...I hope I have enough matter between my ears...to get this done...I peek at the guide above and I got lost after a few lines of reading...However, with some clearer instructions in layman terms...I might get this done ???
I down loaded the newest Raid driver to my desk top...But before I put only the raid drivers on a cd or dvd...should I down load any other drives to put on the cd and/or dvd ??? Also...putting windows 7 on this lap top may be an issue...I noted when looking for the raid drivers...it only showed them for windows xp...that's what was originally put in it when new I think...XP with the Media stuff in it...lap top has a built in tv tunner...
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge l4
( 4 CPU'S )
Windows 7 / U E 3.8
madhatter
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 pm

unless you need windows for gaming. It might be WORLDS easier to use windows in vbox and Linux as the main os.

Just a thought.

also bro, your clearly stepping into some very advanced setups rather blind. What your about to do is more for the advanced.

You can do it BUT allow me to lay it on the line.

1. put on your thinking cap, research and learn.

2. don't give up, or you learn nothing but how to quit

3. Familiarize your self with all given to you as resources and tools.

4. lay mens terms is a relative term. What might be easy to some is near impossible for others to grasp, thus they might have to work harder to understand the simple to others.

That said, if you don't need to GAME on windows, then using vbox windows is ideal. It will do ALL but d-x- gaming. That way all we have to help with is the raid on linux issue.

My advice of the day, join oz and pick wind's brain.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Newbie's Corner