Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition's Firefox Hacked?

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Ultimate Edition's Firefox Hacked?

Postby espaqu » Tue May 03, 2011 9:29 pm

I am confused and embarrassed.

I had created a bootable USB drive of Ultimate Edition 2.8 a while back to try out. The image was downloaded from a link on DistroWatch. I didn't like it well enough to change from straight Ubuntu, so the drive got tossed into a drawer.

This past weekend, my wife's WindowsXP machine died, so I put together a "loaner" PC for her to use until her system was repaired (she uses Open Source grudgingly). To get it running in the shortest amount of time, I chose the Ultimate Edition stick, because I knew I wouldn't need to download and install any "extras". (Yes, I did change the theme to something more mainstream...)

Yesterday, she called me to say that she was getting a strange "Account Overview" screen when she clicked to log in to Hotmail (see attachment). With the exception of her name, all entries not blurred out are bogus. I had her open Hotmail on my PC, and it logged in correctly. When I got home I tried reinstalling Firefox, but the problem didn't go away until I removed Firefox, deleted the ~/.mozilla folder, and reinstalled Firefox from a new download, using Synaptic, not Ubuntu Software Center.

It is kinda hard convincing her that Linux is safer than Windows when stuff like that happens. I've never seen anything like it on any Linux distro I've ever tried, which numbers in the dozens. Anybody know what happened?
Account Overview Scam.png
espaqu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition's Firefox Hacked?

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 pm

yep, see it often on windows and linux in my line of work.

Facts are Microsoft was hacked some time back.

Millions of accounts were cloned / hacked.

Used to advertise world wide.

Facts are it has NOTHING to do with your PC, but Microsoft network its self.

Old news there man.

Fix in every case, forward email from live to Gmail and call it a day. Remember to use a good firewall like firestarter.

Reset password and all info that allows a password to be reset like email and secret question etc.

Linux with a Microsoft run email ? Not wise choice lol.

Also remember reading a report that yahoo had some 55,000 accounts cloned and hacked to.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby espaqu » Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm

That was my original thought, too, until I didn't get the hacked screen when we logged in using my PC. Also, the hack disappeared after we installed Firefox from a different source. She never attempted to contact Microsoft about it, so it is unlikely that it was something they coincidentally fixed at that very moment.

After she isn't relying on this PC any more, I will reinstall Ultimate Edition from that same image to see what happens. Check back later...
espaqu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 pm

If in doubt, delete the .mozila folder from home folder and start fresh.

Could be a hacked cookie. Use that firewall bro.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby espaqu » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Vindicated again!

My wife got her new Dell Windows7 machine, logged into Hotmail and got the same page! Why it shows up so randomly, I don't know, but at least she now admits that is isn't something to do with Linux. Sorry I ever questioned Ultimate Edition's integrity.

-Tyler
espaqu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8