Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Got a nice How to? Please post it here.

Post your How to's here

Re: Got a nice How to? Please post it here.

Postby stanca » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:50 pm

I just hope that this promotion doesn't let loose my motivation and inspiration and disappointing you. My sincere thanks and appreciations to you all. :ugeek:
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby stanca » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 am

Max likes everything at humans,especially the food. ;)
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:13 pm

HOW TO UPDATE AN OFF-LINE PC

For everyone that has an off-line pc and wants to be able to update it using another pc with internet access here you go. While I haven't tried this myself it looks like the easiest way http://keryx.betaserver.org/ instructions are on the site.

If that doesn't work for you then there's a more drawn out way.
1. Copy your sources.list from /etc/apt/sources.list to a usb dongle or external drive.
2. Take it to an on-line pc and go here http://www.offlineubuntu.co.cc/
3. Upload it using the web page and following the instructions

Once you've followed the instructions using either way you can use Synaptic to mark all updates, upgrades and other applications you may want or need and create a download script in Synaptic by going to "File>Generate package download script"

Save the script to to a folder on your usb dongle or external drive.
Run the script on the on-line pc and it will download all the packages into the folder the script is in.

When you double click on the script you will have choices 2 of which are "run in terminal" and "run" I suggest using "run in terminal" since this way you can tell when it has finished as it will return to the command prompt. If you choose "run" it will not show anything so you will not know when it has finished.

Now you can take them back to the off-line pc and in synaptic go to "File>Add downloaded packages" to install them.

I just threw this together from a quick search so if someone has a better way, can offer corrections, or any other useful info on the subject please do.
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Uffe » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:34 am

Java on 64 bit
I've never had java functioning 100% - could not use web-bank etc. - until I found this http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6791349&postcount=59
I have tried rewriting it because of some redirecting of the download.

It works for me, but Use it at your own risk Admins - fell free to edit and corret any errors
Sart stripping your PC for what you can find of java , then
Code: Select all
cd ~/Desktop
wget http://www.java.net/download/jdk6/6u14/promoted/b01/binaries/jre-6u14-ea-bin-b01-linux-amd64-03_feb_2009.bin

sudo chmod +x jre-6u14-ea-bin-b01-linux-amd64-03_feb_2009.bin\?e\=1245500894\&h\=dd95d7ee3567f35847e44acf4102db97

sudo sh ./jre-6u14-ea-bin-b01-linux-amd64-03_feb_2009.bin\?e\=1245500894\&h\=dd95d7ee3567f35847e44acf4102db97

Then you will have to accept

sudo mv jre1.6.0_14 /opt/jre1.6.0_14
sudo ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_14/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/jre1.6.0_14/bin/java" 1
sudo update-alternatives --set java /opt/jre1.6.0_14/bin/java

<BREW>
Uffe

Ubuntu minimal w/ Mate desktop 64bit
Asrock N68-GE3 UCC - AMD X4 640 - 4 Gb Kingston ram
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 60 Gb + 500 Gb WD sATA HD

Ultimate Edition 2.9 64bit
Asrock 2core 1333-2.66G - 2 Gb Kingston ram
750 Gb Samsung WD sATA HD
Plextor DVD-RW - Asus 24" fladskærm

If your Danish, try http://www.linux-abc.dk to share your knowledge and questions
Uffe

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Slimmer CLI window

Postby archeryguru2000 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:16 pm

I already posted this in [url-http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3458]another thread[/url], but thought I'd mention it here as well.

Hello all. I've decided to make a contribution to the scripting community here in Ultimate Edition land. One of the things that I usually cannot stand when using a command line interface (terminal), is when I enter a directory with an unusually long name/title or if I traverse many folders deep to do something, my "header" line becomes soo long that my commands begin wraping into the next line down.

What I've done is create an alias for bash, aptly titled '.bash_aliases' in my home directory. Basically what this script does is take the current working directory and display that information in the upper right corner of the window (or upper right corner of the monitor when working in a virtual terminal) and only display the username at the prompt. I found a similar script to this in a book I had purchased some time back that gave me this idea. Whenever you open a terminal (bash), your config file (~/.bashrc) is read. There is usually a loop contained within that file that seems to always be commented out by default;

#if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
#    . ~/.bash_aliases
#fi

If you create this file (~/.bash_aliases), uncomment these lines. This will allow you to modify how your terminal appears, acts, executes, etc.

Here is my .bash_aliases file with comments.
#!/bin/bash
# written by: archeryguru2000
# Free Software Foundation, 2009.
#
# The bash script alters the appearance of the user's command line interface by
# changing the titlebar, prompt, and location of current directory listing.  This
# script was adapted from a script written in "Linux Desktop Hacks, Tips & Tools
# for Customizing and Optimizing Your OS" by Nicholas Petreley & Jono Bacon (p 42).
#

function prompt_command
{
   tput sc                  # save the current position
   let backwash=$(tput cols)-$(echo $(pwd) | wc -m)-2
   # backwash is the calculation of the position to place the cursor and write the whole current working directory, back-up 2 more places to include the brackets
   tput cup 0 ${backwash}      # position the cursor at y=0, x=calculated length
   tput setaf 1 ; tput smul   # set the foreground color, bold
   echo -n "<"               # wrap the full path in brackets
   echo -n "$(pwd)"         # show the path
   echo -n ">"               # show the closing bracket
   tput setaf 2 ; tput rmul   # return colors back to preferred
   tput rc                  # return cursor to the saved position
}

PROMPT_COMMAND=prompt_command

GREEN="\[$(tput setf 2)\]"
RED="\[$(tput setaf 7)\]"
NO_COLOR="\[$(tput sgr0)\]"

case $TERM in
   xterm*|rxvt*)
      TITLEBAR='\[\033]0;\u@\h \007\]'
      ;;
   *)
      TITLEBAR=""
      ;;
esac

PS1="${TITLEBAR}$GREEN\u$RED\$$NO_COLOR: "
PS2='> '
OS4='+ '

After creating this file and modifying ~/.bashrc, your CLI will appear much cleaner and simpler than before.

I hope this is easy to follow and hopefully somebody else can make use of this.
~~archery~~
archeryguru2000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

identify disk partitions with e2label

Postby marvinudy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

I have several working drives with multiple installs of various Linux distributions and attached backup/storage drives and had a difficult time finding 'stuff' that I wanted to move from one partition to another because I could not find the correct partition with the desired information. Lazy habits created my own problems.

The answer was to use the "e2label" command as root to label all of my partitions to fix my 'search' problems.

Terminal command: e2label (dev/sdxyy ) (new label)
# (sd) is the standard drive notation, (x) represents the actual drive designation (a,b,c,d...) and (y) represents the partition(1,2,3,...) number. "new label" is how the drive will now identify itself.

Example as Root in a terminal : e2label /dev/sdc9 UE-2.4-32-GN

This is my Ultimate Edition version 2.4- 32 bit install with the Gnome desktop on hard drive 'C' located on partition number '9'.
marvinudy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Alamue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am

How to get GMA500 Drivers working with 9.10, detailed instructions and easy to understand

After trying to hunt down drivers for my Dell Mini 12 netbook, I stumbled across: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1294173. Look at the Video section with the link too: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8182373&postcount=87. For some of those people who have absolutely no idea this is how it is done. Write down the following command
wget http://gma500re.altervista.org/scripts/poulsbo_ppa.sh && sh ./poulsbo_ppa.sh

Then restart your computer and boot into Recovery mode. Easiest way I found with 9.10 UNR was as soon as the ubuntu symbol came up, do a hard power off. On next boot it should come up with a Grub window, select the second option with the (recovery mode) label.

Once into Recovery mode and you have the screen infront of you with options such as "Normal Boot" select the command line with network support. This will then get IP Settings for you to connect to the internet. Now type in that command you had written down and it will do its little thing and get a reasonable GMA500 driver installed. Worked great for me.

I do wish to say thanks to Lucazade for the GMA500 fix, and Michael37 for the Mini 12 guide ^_^ I just wanted to post this in a more understandable language for people experiencing issues with their GMA500 and Ubuntu 9.10 (And Ultimate Edition 2.5)
Main rig:
Q9550 @ 3.6 Ghz (4.2 Ghz Benchable)
Asus Rampage Extreme X48
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1601 Mhz (2000 rated)
4x WD 1 TB Black edition drives, 2x RAID 0 Arrays
2x XFX 4890 XT 1 GB Video cards, Crossfired
Dual Dell S2409Wb's on Neoflex arms
CPU and NB, chilled via CoolIT Boreas, modified
GPU's cooled via 360 mm Rad
Alamue
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 BIT

Re: how to fix ati video drivers version 10.1

Postby sambolinux » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm

first change the rights of installation file to user by using the code:

chmod +x ./ati-driver-installer-10-1-x86.x86_64.run

then extract the files by using this command :

./ati-driver-installer-10-1-x86.x86_64.run --extract

Aparrently there is a typo in one of the installation files so if you follow my plagiarized post here you should be ok because I have used it in both 32bit and 64bit but I kind of did it a@# backwards. I should have done it in 64bit first instead 32bit but 32 bit is easier--less dependencies. If you do this line of code in both x86 and x86-64 folders you definitely will b ok :

ln -s libatiuki.so.1.0 libatiuki.so.1

This file is located in fglrx-install.xxxx/arch/x86 and x86-64/usr/lib/
(Replace "fglrx-install.xxxx" with the name of the directory that the
installer created on your system)

Then route yourself back to fglrx-install.xxxxx and type or copy this line of code :

sudo ./ati-installer.sh 10.1 --buildandinstallpkg Ubuntu/karmic

Source:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthre ... t=21739&...

you really do not need to do aticonfig anymore because it is done automatically .
reboot and your are done.
Computer: Antec NSK6500 case, MSI K9A2 Platinum, BE940 Phenom II,6gig ddr2 1066mhz ram, 4 sata hd (1 250gb seagate w/acronis for op sys bkp only and 1 TB wd green for movie bkp only and disconnected) , 3 1TB wd black sata II(no raid),Zalman 9700 air cooler, on board realsucks sound, Sony 42" hdtv connected to a 4670 ATI Radeon video card/ w Zalman 900 air cooler(very quiet) , 21.5 in Acer lcd monitor(cheap monitor finally died) , 2 ide dvd rw drives LG , 1 sata hp 340i bluray disk writer
OP sys : Win XP Pro, 1 Win7-64bit-ultimate and 1 custom precise 12.04 with all media codecs compiled by me and a bunch of media encoders.
sambolinux
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Other O/S

Installing LAMP on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 (Lucid Lynx, Maver

Postby tittiger » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I did this on Ultimate Edition v2.8 and was ecstatic at how easy it was for a newbie like me.

http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/04/installing ... ucid-lynx/

see attached mht..... Please rename extension pdf to mht

This is a cut and paste of the install -- the MHT or web site should be better.....

If you're developing websites, it's nice to be able to test your code in the privacy of your own computer rather that out in the public internet. In order to do that, you'll need to install a webserver on your development computer. LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, php) is one of the most common web hosting platforms, so it's a perfect environment for you to build and test your website code. If you carefully follow these step by step instructions, you'll have your own LAMP setup running in no time.
Install LAMP on Ubuntu

The Ubuntu developers have made it easy to install the LAMP server packages with a single command. Simply open a terminal window and enter the following.
sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

No, that's not a typo. Please make sure to include the caret (^). The command will not work without it.

The apt package manager will show all the packages that need to be installed. Hit <Enter> to confirm that you want to install them.
LAMP packages

LAMP packages

You will then be prompted to change the password for the root user on the MySQL database.
Set MySQL root password

Set MySQL root password

Enter the password you want. You'll be prompted to enter it a second time to confirm.

After you confirm your password, apt will continue to install the rest of the packages.

Congratulations, your LAMP installation is now complete! That was the easy part, now you need to get a few things configured to make your system easy to work with.
Test Apache

Open a web browser and enter the address http://localhost/. You should see a web page that says "It Works!"
Testing Apache

Testing Apache
Test php

Now that you know Apache works, you'll want to test the php installation. You'll need to create a file in /var/www called testing.php. Open a terminal and enter:
sudo nano /var/www/testing.php

Enter the following line into the text editor, save the file and exit.
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Next, restart Apache with the following terminal command:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Now go back to your web browser and enter the address http://localhost/testing.php/. You should see a page displaying version information for your php installation.
php Information

php Information
Configure MySQL

Since I'm installing LAMP for a web development environment, I want the MySQL database to be bound to the localhost IP address. This should be 127.0.0.1 for your system. You can verify it with this terminal command.
cat /etc/hosts | grep localhost

You'll now want to verify that the correct bind address is set up in MySQL's my.cnf file.
cat /etc/mysql/my.cnf | grep bind-address

You should see a line that looks like this:

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

If the IP address doesn't match the one for your system, you'll need to edit the my.cnf file to correct it.
Install phpMyAdmin

You don't need to install phpMyAdmin, but it's a much easier way to get in and adjust things in your MySQL database if you're not familiar with MySQL's commands. You can install phpMyAdmin from the command line with:
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql phpmyadmin

The installation will prompt you to select a web server for automatic configuration.
phpMyAdmin Setup

phpMyAdmin Setup

This is important! Use the space bar on your keyboard to select apache2. Make sure there's a * next to apache2 like the picture below and then hit <Enter>. (Click the picture to enlarge it and see what I'm talking about.)
phpMyAdmin Setup: select apache2

phpMyAdmin Setup: select apache2

The next screen will explain some information about database configuration. Hit the <Enter> key to move on.
phpMyAdmin database config

phpMyAdmin database config

Another screen will come up asking if you want to configure a new database called dbconfig-common. Since this is a fresh installation, use the <Tab> key to select Yes and hit <Enter>.
phpMyAdmin dbconfig-common

phpMyAdmin dbconfig-common

You'll be prompted next to enter the MySQL root password. Enter the MySQL root password that you created earlier, hit <Tab> to select Ok and hit <Enter>.
MySQL root password

MySQL root password

You'll then be prompted to enter a MySQL application password for phpmyadmin. You can hit <Enter> and a random password will be generated. I chose to use the same password that I used for the root MySQL password.
MySQL application password

MySQL application password

If you enter your own password, a password confirmation screen will come up. Confirm your password.
MySQL application password confirmation

MySQL application password confirmation

Your phpMyAdmin installation and configuration is now complete.
Testing phpMyAdmin

Open your web browser and enter the address http://localhost/phpmyadmin/. You should see a page like this.
phpMyAdmin log in

phpMyAdmin log in

You can log in with the username root and the root password that you created earlier.
Logged into phpMyAdmin

Logged into phpMyAdmin

Congratulations, you're now ready to start building your local website. If you're only working on one site you can put all of your files into /var/www. If you'll be working on multiple sites you may want to consider some additional Apache configuration to keep things neat and clean on you system.
Last edited by tittiger on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Retired Geek and then Ubuntu happened~
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” Ben Franklin
tittiger
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Installing LAMP on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10

Postby tittiger » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 pm

This was incredibly easy for a newbie like me.

http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/04/installing ... ucid-lynx/

Please rename the pdf attachment to mht as mht did not want to attach.
Attachments
Installing LAMP on Ubuntu 10 (copy).04 and 10.10 .pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 684 times
~Retired Geek and then Ubuntu happened~
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” Ben Franklin
tittiger
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)