Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

ATI Video Cards issues please post here.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Re: ATI Video Cards issues please post here.

Postby aL1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello jshuford

Try to go with this command:

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

image.php.jpeg

Download the ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English

I'm a linux no0b, I just installed Ultimate Edition, and tried the driver recommended by 'driver updates', only to not boot into the desktop-

Is the ATI Catalyst download linked above correct for an HD4870?

Very no0b here, how do I install it?

Thanks-
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 pm

aL1 wrote:I'm a linux no0b, I just installed Ultimate Edition, and tried the driver recommended by 'driver updates', only to not boot into the desktop-

Is the ATI Catalyst download linked above correct for an HD4870?

Very no0b here, how do I install it?

Thanks-

Hi aL1 and welcome to the forum,

Yes, that is the right driver for that card. I have HD4850's and I'm using the previous driver 10.7 with no problems at all. After looking at the Release Notes for the 10.9 driver I will be staying with 10.7 just because it's working fine and there are no improvements in that driver (it may add a bug so why risk it). It looks like it just adds support for another OS "RHEL 6 early look", and some bug fixes for SUSE which I'm not running.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The install instructions are on that page too here: Installer Instructions

Starting at page 4 in the instructions. Just download it to your Home Folder, or move it there once you download it. That's
Places > Home Folder
Then open a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-9-x86.x86_64.run

Install Driver > Accept the terms of use, and use the Automatic install option. Follow the on screen instructions that will tell you to run this when it finishes successfully:
sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial

That should be it. Reboot
;)
The 10.7 driver is under the Helpful links section on that page if you decide to go that way: Previous Drivers & Software
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby aL1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 pm

@2hot6ft2

It installed okay, but I think it was better with the default graphics driver, so I'm using that one instead-

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is the better plan-

Thanks-
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
E8400 @4.22GHz
GSkill PC2-8800 @1192MHz
TRUE120
Xonar D1
M4 64GB
WDCBlack 1T
2 Velociraptors 150GB@
HD4870
Dragon Lord K62
Antec 750W
Asus VH238H LED
aL1
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Postby bandario » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:47 am

I am a little bit wary of placing this help request in here as it will likely see a lot less traffic from those that know how to fix it but I dare say this is the correct thread for it!

Up until yesterday I have been flying along quite happily on the bleeding edge with KDE 4.5 and my whole system up to scratch according to dist-upgrade.

This morning I did an apt-get dist-upgrade due to some problems with the built in package upgrade manager.

I am quite used to this process momentarily killing my catalyst 10.7 drivers if there is a new kernel version - usually just requires a reinstall...this time however, a re-install is not cutting it.

When I install the drivers from root and then attempt to boot up using the latest kernel I am receiving about 4 or 5 messages, 2 of which are fglrx related: fglrx: hasn't established DRM connection/ GPS not been initialised and a couple of others I cannot remember.

For now I have manually selected to boot kernel 2.6.32-22-generic and managed to reinstall the catalyst drivers no problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a workaround that doesn't involve removing the latest kernel version?

If not...any tips on how I can remove the latest kernel version and force GRUB to reconfigure itself?
bandario
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby bandario » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 am

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... otfix.aspx

By closing the security holes in the kernel, support for proprietry driver has been fubared.

Hotfix up there.
bandario
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7