Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Change Boot Screen + Login Backgrounds and Cursors

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.5

Change Boot Screen + Login Backgrounds and Cursors

Postby gftd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

I've successfully configured the desktop to my liking, but I'm having trouble changing the pre-desktop boot screen background, login background, and cursors. That razor-sharp, pulsating, rotating arrow is deeply disturbing. :mrgreen: Any suggestions how to do these things?

Thanks,
gftd
A) Dual-Boot Ultimate Edition 2.8, Vista Business SP2; HP Pavilion dv9500t (Laptop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz; RAM: 4GB;
Video: nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB
Disk Drives: 1 x 120GB , 1 x 250GB; Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
B) Dual-Boot Ubuntu 10.10, Windows 7 Home Premium; HP G70-463CL (Laptop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz;RAM: 4GB
Video: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Disk Drives: 1 x 300; Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW
C) XP SP3; ASUS P4C80-Deluxe Motherboard (Desktop)
CPU: Intel(R) Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz; RAM: 4GB
Video: Radeon 9600 128MB
Disk Drives: 1 x 37GB 5 x 250GB; Super Multi 22X DVD+/-RW
D) NAS
Buffalo Terastation HD-H1.0TGL/R5; Disk Drives: 4 x 250GB
gftd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Change Boot Screen + Login Backgrounds and Cursors

Postby gftd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I've successfully configured the desktop to my liking, but I'm having trouble changing the pre-desktop boot screen background, login background, and cursors. That razor-sharp, pulsating, rotating arrow is deeply disturbing. :mrgreen: Any suggestions how to do these things?

Update:
I found a program called Epidermis which installed ok but doesn't seem to have any effect. There are many choices in various categories to select and apply, which I've done. My expectation upon reboot is to see these changes implemented, but everything stays the same. So either I'm missing something obvious or there's another explanation. Any thoughts on using Epidermis or another solution?

Thanks,
gftd
A) Dual-Boot Ultimate Edition 2.8, Vista Business SP2; HP Pavilion dv9500t (Laptop)
D) NAS
gftd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby JOHNNYG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:08 pm

gftd wrote:I've successfully configured the desktop to my liking, but I'm having trouble changing the pre-desktop boot screen background, login background, and cursors. That razor-sharp, pulsating, rotating arrow is deeply disturbing. :mrgreen: Any suggestions how to do these things?

Thanks,
gftd

Hello gftd ! :D To change cursor, System>preferences>appearance a new window will open click customize in the Theme tab, a small window will open, Then Pointer tab, choose the one you want,close all windows and logout and back in. and you should have your new cursor. You can also go here
http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=36
and find other cursors you might like ! :D To install new cursors ,System>preferences>appearance a new window will open click install and navigate to your new cursor, then same as above, or it will say theme correctly installed would you like to apply the new theme,click yes, again you might have to log out and back in for it to change, as far as your startup, are you speaking of the 2.5 usplash with the bar that slides back and forth (Throbber) Or the red cylon eye, the log in window has very little customizing options,but you can install GDM 2.20 http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=116199 this will replace your xsplash login with the original login window, to change the usplash,System>Administration>startup-manager>appearance and choose another usplash, this is also how you install a new usplash, under "manage usplash themes. :D
And where did you find this " Epidermis " I have searched synaptic and it doesn't show up, what is this "Epidermis " supposed to do ? :?:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby gftd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:56 pm

JOHHNYG:

Hello gftd ! :D To change cursor, System>preferences>appearance a new window will open click customize in the Theme tab, a small window will open, Then Pointer tab, choose the one you want,close all windows and logout and back in. and you should have your new cursor.

Yes, i've been using this method on both computers, with success on one but only partial on the other, i.e., my cursor of choice is redglass, but it seems to now be "combined" with the Ultimate Edition cursor(s)--the Ultimate Edition spinning globe appears while waiting for an action to complete. That doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

as far as your startup, are you speaking of the 2.5 usplash with the bar that slides back and forth (Throbber) Or the red cylon eye, the log in window has very little customizing options,but you can install GDM 2.20 http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=116199 this will replace your xsplash login with the original login window, to change the usplash,System>Administration>startup-manager>appearance and choose another usplash, this is also how you install a new usplash, under "manage usplash themes. :D

I believe I'm speaking of the usplash with the bar that slides back and forth (Throbber)--I don't recall ever seeing a red cylon eye, but who knows? All this tweaking is leaving me more nearsighted than I already am.

And where did you find this " Epidermis " I have searched synaptic and it doesn't show up, what is this "Epidermis " supposed to do ? :?:

Found it in a web search: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 2345.shtml
My understanding is that it's supposed to provide a way to change the things we've been discussing, but I can't get it to change anything.

Thanks,
gftd
D) NAS
gftd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dathem » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Hello gftd, I have downloaded and installed the epidermis, and it does work but not quite as simple as they make it seem. I clicked the find more tab and after that it displayed a list, I selected the BlueMan theme, etc. it downloaded the pigments and I selected the APPLY button, but like you said nothing happens. I closed the program and restarted the computer. Then opened Epidermis and it showed the BLueMan Theme as being installed and what it would change, I then had to hit the APPLY button again, and bingo--it showed a window of what was to be changed unless I unclicked one of the boxes, hit APPLY and it changed the theme. Works well just not as simply and it could be.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby jetski76 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Board members - Please help I am trying to follow the steps to change my usplash. All posts I see are referencing a "Appearance" Tab within The Startup Manager. I am running a new installation with updates of Ultimate Edition 2.6 and do not have that tab only "Boot Options" and "Advanced". Please tell me what I need to get this tab to appear or how else I can change a newly created USplash.
Tnx
jetski76
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.5