Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Desktop issues please post here.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Re: Desktop issues please post here.

Postby geordiejohn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:24 pm

hello i have just installed ultimate edition 2.7 and i saw on a video about using different desktops ie-gnome-kde-ldx-xfce but i dont know how to do that,i would be grateful for any help.
thank you.
Acer Aspire 5536
Screen 15.6 inch Glossy HD LED 1366 x 768
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
Processor AMD Turion 64 X 2 Dual Core RM-74 @ 2.2 GHz
Memory 4GB
Hard disk 500GB
Battery Battery has been checked and holds roughly 20 Mins charge.
Optical drive DVD/RW
Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium
Webcam Yes
Card reader Yes
WiFi Yes
Extras Power supply
Ports 4 x USB, LAN, VGA, HDMI, Modem
geordiejohn
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi geordiejohn and welcome to the forum,

When you get to the login screen and select the user, before typing in your password click on Sessions at the bottom and select the desktop you want to boot into. Then type in your password and press Enter or click on Ok.
If you're already on a desktop you can select logout instead of reboot and do the same thing a lot faster.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby geordiejohn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 am

thank you very much.
Acer Aspire 5536
Screen 15.6 inch Glossy HD LED 1366 x 768
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
Processor AMD Turion 64 X 2 Dual Core RM-74 @ 2.2 GHz
Memory 4GB
Hard disk 500GB
Battery Battery has been checked and holds roughly 20 Mins charge.
Optical drive DVD/RW
Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium
Webcam Yes
Card reader Yes
WiFi Yes
Extras Power supply
Ports 4 x USB, LAN, VGA, HDMI, Modem
geordiejohn
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby newmusic » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:40 am

I am about to install my 4th version of Ultimate Edition - my first was 1.7 gamers i think.
I have 2 questions:

How can I keep all my tweaks and settings and program downloads/updates when I install 2.7, or will I have to tweak again.

When I update my files, will it update me to the next edition eg if I update 2.5, will it then be 2.7. Or is it only the kernel that gets updated.

I am really impressed with Ultimate Edition. Thank you. When my friends see they go whaor - where did you get that!!!
I am looking forward to seeing the progress made regarding the use of midi and Looking forward to a middle of the range desktop publisher with templates etc as I am unable to get Pageplus to install in Wine and dont have the time to make my own.

But well done for an excellent OS.
newmusic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Unfortunately you will need to do a fresh install of 2.7. There have been too many changes on the Lucid release.
From what I understand there are plans to make it possible to upgrade Ultimate Edition to Ultimate Edition but right now doing a fresh install is the safest way to go.

Usually you can have a separate /home so everything is there with almost all of your setting but some apps. are in 2.7 that were not in 2.5 and vise versa, so the settings would be there for some apps. that don't exist, and not be there for some apps. that do exist.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby newmusic » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for your reply.You've answered my question...not quite like i'd hoped. But thank you.
newmusic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby newmusic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:59 am

Help!!!

I am trying out the differnt login options, gnome, kde, and have tried openbox. But I cannot find the login screen settings manager to revert back to gnome.

I have looked in the gnome control center in the menu but it will not allow me to unlock the options to change the login options.
Have tried in the forum but maybe my wording is wrong and cannot find a solution.

So I am stuck in openbox (maybe it should be called closed-box, as I cant get out)

Thanks
newmusic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby newmusic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention.

My last post might copy where you find yourself - stuck in openbox and not knowing how to open a login screen manager - (I had configured mine this way)
In KDE and Gnome, this was easy to find but not in Openbox.

However - what is not seen (which I didn't) is that when you log in, drag your cursor to the bottom of the screen. There will be some activity, one of which will say "Session". Click on this to reconfigure or undo or change options back to KDE/Gnome.

So easy once found but feeling like areal dunce/noob because I cannot the way out of "closedbox". :lol:
newmusic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Swad Iaid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:27 am

since last night the computer started loading the desktop wallpaper i setup, then it switches to the ultimate ED wallpapper 15-20 seconds later and no icons.btw i'm running xfce session.

the no icons issue i seemed to have fixed with the use of ubuntu Tweak, but the desktop wallpaper is still a problem(well i got desktop wall paper i want to load but it apears that the machine switches between 2 diff desktop settings or environments, reason i say this is the desktop pops up how i set it, then bout 15-20 seconds later new icons and my custom ones in the first desktop to apear, do not appear in the config that seems to load second, which appears to be the setup ubuntu tweak controls.).

like said i use xfce, and not have clue how to disable or what to disable exactly, but my feeling is that maybe it loads xfce settings first then loads gnome settings second. as to where i can find them , i'm at loss?(most tutorials i could find that sounded like they help me where in reference to older versions , which i read in other places things got changed but they did not have th info as pertains to lucid.
"just because you got the monkey off your, does not mean the circus has left town." Hunter S Thompson
Swad Iaid
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby LeeCrites » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 am

khadafeeee wrote:Sorry to be a bother,really new to linux,my first install is Ultimate 2.7,just a small issue..ok,i have 4 different wallpapers though compiz fusion's wallpaper option,with show desktop turned off,when i boot the system everything loads,and the type to search icon pops up and stay there can't exit it,it overlaps anything i put up,well i wanted to know if i could disable that search feature.....Thank You To The Hold Team For All Your Hard Work.

I discovered that if I go into Applications / Accessories and click on GNOME Do, that I can then go to the "down arrow" icon in the top-right-corner of the "type to search" box, and it magically works. I can click on "exit' from there. If I don't do that, then just like you said, that box stays there forever. Until I discovered that trick, I'd just have to ignore that virtual window and use the others.

Lee
LeeCrites
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7