Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Tips & Fix for Ultimate Edition 2.7 please post here.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue May 11, 2010 1:17 am

Hello PPL.

Admin-Amir

Re: Tips & Fix for Ultimate Edition 2.7 please post here.

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon May 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello Team & users on the Forum.

OK here is my test that past very well with no issues at all !!!
Let me give you all the process to get the 2.7 to work better and faster (and solve some issues with wireless )
So the problems on the U.E start as I have said in the beginning with the low Kernel that we have on 2.7!!!
Here is the Guide for you hope you will see the Difference with how your system work After the upgrade. ;)

How To: Upgrade your kernel, painlessly.

If in the outside chance you feel you need to upgrade your kernel for any particular reason, this is how you do it THE EASY WAY.
Note that this guide requires no compiling and works for U.E and Ubuntu only (it's probable that this works for other Ubuntu derivatives, but I haven't tested it and can therefore offer no opinion).

- 1 - Go to this website http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and you'll see a huge directory tree of kernels. Find the directory for the kernel you want/need and click on it.

- 2 - In each of these directories you're going to see "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", three items that begin with "linux-headers", two that begin with "linux-image" and one that begins with "linux-source". The "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", and "linux-source" are completely unimportant right now. We're only worried about "linux-headers" and "linux-image".

- 3 - Download and then install the following IN THIS ORDER: first get the linux-headers file that ends with "all.deb". Second get the linux-headers file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" depending upon what architecture you need. Finally get the linux-image file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" again depending upon what architecture you need. Honestly it doesn't really matter what order you download them in, but you need to make absolutely sure that you install them in this order.

- 4 - Reboot your computer and you're done.

Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 12500 times

The files can be download from here:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... .34-lucid/

Now I use the 2.6.34-lucid !!!
Those are the files that I use for the 32 bit on my machine:

linux-headers-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb
linux-headers-2.6.34-020634_2.6.34-020634_all.deb
linux-image-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb

This is safe to do so do not be afraid to make the upgrade for your system. <BREW>

For all of you the use the 64 - please download the files of the 64 bit and install them.

Last point that I will Advice you PPL is to add Swiftfox in your Ubuntu Tweak=> 3Party.
Then after the sync of swiftfox to your source,
close Ubuntu Tweak and open Synaptic on the search box - swiftfox search.
Then install the package the is for your Architecture machine.
This will solve for you all the slow browsing with FireFox!
swiftfox is light then FireFox and faster the FireFox with the New Kernel.

Selection_001.png

Now 2.7 work nice <BREW> ;)

2.png
Admin-Amir

Postby phoenixsansbury » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 am

I loved this tricks and tips for this operating system and will be waiting for more so that I can get to the things that I want with pressing less keys. This operating system is really great and I this is my first ubuntu.
phoenixsansbury
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Voonskibular » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:55 am

Greetings all. First, thank you for the most awesomely tweaked operating system on this planet! I must say, an adventure at every turn (or click?)
Thank you Admin-Amir for the kernel upgrade instructions. Worked flawlessly. But now I have this ugly purple Ubuntu mess while booting up. BTW, when 2.6 first came out, I followed instructions on getting the nVidia driver installed (in another thread somewhere, too lazy to link), but it messed up the throbber's original resolution (The Ultimate Edition II.VI shield thingy). Any tips on (1) getting that back to the right resolution, and (2) for killing that purple Ubuntu dots crap, replacing it with the Ultimate Edition shield. At the right resolution?

Again, thanks!
Voonskibular
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:16 am

Hello Voonskibular .

First you very welcome and happy that you like the U.E Distro <BREW>
About the Ubuntu BOOT screen = well it is Ubuntu sabotage like the issue with Ubuntu tweak clean up,scrip clean up
and so on.
when I first see this BOOT screen I understand that any Update on the system make one more operation from the
other side of the system - write the BOOT from the start and add Ubuntu to be the Default BOOT screen.
And the main issue with the Nvidia IS NOT BUG = this is Ubuntu sabotage!
So I will say that ,on our Team the PPL that has the Nvidia Cards Upgrade the Kernel once again to solve the issue.
And in this point of time myself has upgrade it too to the RC1 of 2.6.35 = The Ubuntu 10.10 system.
And I did not have to do it because I have the Intel Video Card.
But we all do all the tests workaround for all the Video Cards for you all (Part of our work right ;) ),
So here is my solution for you to try on.
Get the RC1 for your Architecture machine and install it at the same process like you made my Guide.
This souled give you the solution for your issues that You experience now.
Admin-Amir

Postby Grinch » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks Admin-Amir. I am downloading 2.7 now and will upgrade the kernel right away. I just finished installing 2.6 this morning and saw 2.7 was out so might as well start over before I go making changes and adding data. ;) Moving up from 2.2 that I have been using for a long time so I am really looking forward to the upgrade.

One tip I can offer about the ext4 file system and third party boot managers. I use a third party boot manager which is also a partition tool as well as many other useful things, so I want to keep using it. Hopefully it will be updated soon but the issue is it does not recognize the ext4 file system (default for Ubuntu and Ultimate Edition). So when I tried to boot to Ultimate Edition 2.6 through the boot manager it said the partition was not a bootable partition. :(

I could use the BIOS boot menu and choose the drive that I installed Ultimate Edition on and boot that way. But that takes all the fun out of it. ;)

To resolve this and still use my boot manager I simply choose to partition manually and created a 150MB ext3 /boot partition and installed the boot loader on that partition. Then made the standard ext4 partition for /. I first tried a 50MB partition for /boot but it said it had to be at least 116MB, so 150MB it is. I can now use my boot manager and still have ext4 for Ultimate Edition. 8-)

Hope that helps someone out there that uses a third party boot manager.
Grinch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Hello Grinch and welcome to the U.E Forum.

Very nice workaround you have there Grinch <BREW> ;)
Please share any other experience with fix and trix that you think can help the users on the site.
And Again welcome to the U.E Forum Grinch. <BREW>
Admin-Amir

Re: Tips & Fix for Ultimate Edition 2.7 please post here. :D

Postby jshuford » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 pm

I hope that I am not being rude here but I thought that I would offer and request something at the same time...

As soon as I was bitten by the Linux bug I quickly became aware of a certain affliction that I am sure that other's have; the incessant need to tinker around within the Linux code and the constant toying with settings that should have been left alone!

After MANY reinstalls I figured there must be a solution for my wandering key's and alas I found one long ago: CloneZilla; http://clonezilla.org/

Please go there and have a look at this as I will now make a suggestion..."is there something that you WAY cool people could adapt into your distro so that fools such as I have a reprieve from our own demise?" :mrgreen:
Intel 8088 CPU @ 4.77 MHz 10MB Seagate ST-412 HDD,128kB RAM

"I don't know anything about anything...I will however steer you wrong if you like"
jshuford
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello jshuford.

Well for you CloneZilla is A New find for us / Team it is old news.
You can use Parted Magic and part of the Parted Magic is CloneZilla.
But to add it into the Distro this is something that it looks like we can not do.
we have Different Kernel = the first bug , it will mess the Distro.
And you can use the CloneZilla as Live CD to BOOT up and clone you HDD,partition and so on.
But it will not work on the U.E Distro if there will be conflict with the kernel.
Long time ago we have help user here on the U.E with some class work you can use the search up right for it.
Thank you for your Find.
Admin-Amir

Postby Slopoke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello Team & users on the Forum.

OK here is my test that past very well with no issues at all !!!
Let me give you all the process to get the 2.7 to work better and faster (and solve some issues with wireless )
So the problems on the U.E start as I have said in the beginning with the low Kernel that we have on 2.7!!!
Here is the Guide for you hope you will see the Difference with how your system work After the upgrade. ;)

How To: Upgrade your kernel, painlessly.

If in the outside chance you feel you need to upgrade your kernel for any particular reason, this is how you do it THE EASY WAY.
Note that this guide requires no compiling and works for U.E and Ubuntu only (it's probable that this works for other Ubuntu derivatives, but I haven't tested it and can therefore offer no opinion).

- 1 - Go to this website http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and you'll see a huge directory tree of kernels. Find the directory for the kernel you want/need and click on it.

- 2 - In each of these directories you're going to see "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", three items that begin with "linux-headers", two that begin with "linux-image" and one that begins with "linux-source". The "BUILD.LOG", "CHANGES", and "linux-source" are completely unimportant right now. We're only worried about "linux-headers" and "linux-image".

- 3 - Download and then install the following IN THIS ORDER: first get the linux-headers file that ends with "all.deb". Second get the linux-headers file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" depending upon what architecture you need. Finally get the linux-image file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" again depending upon what architecture you need. Honestly it doesn't really matter what order you download them in, but you need to make absolutely sure that you install them in this order.

- 4 - Reboot your computer and you're done.

Selection_001.png

The files can be download from here:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... .34-lucid/

Now I use the 2.6.34-lucid !!!
Those are the files that I use for the 32 bit on my machine:

linux-headers-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb
linux-headers-2.6.34-020634_2.6.34-020634_all.deb
linux-image-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb

This is safe to do so do not be afraid to make the upgrade for your system. <BREW>

For all of you the use the 64 - please download the files of the 64 bit and install them.

Last point that I will Advice you PPL is to add Swiftfox in your Ubuntu Tweak=> 3Party.
Then after the sync of swiftfox to your source,
close Ubuntu Tweak and open Synaptic on the search box - swiftfox search.
Then install the package the is for your Architecture machine.
This will solve for you all the slow browsing with FireFox!
swiftfox is light then FireFox and faster the FireFox with the New Kernel.

Selection_001.png

Now 2.7 work nice <BREW> ;)

2.png
First let me say that I really enjoy this system. It seems to work so much better on so many applications. However I did'nt realize I was going to have to tweak and enter so much myself. OOOOhhh newbie! But am enjoying learning. So, does this kernel thingy have any thing to do with my boot problems. After my full install, it started with a log in screen. user and password. flashes a bunch of crap real fast and leaves me with a command prompt $ and so on. What is going on. Is there a site or forum that explains all this for new-to-unbuntu folks. We need more detailed instructions.
Dell/Intel Ultimate Edition 5.0 W/7 and MATE 16.10 2 HHD 80G and 250G Grub.
Slopoke
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7