Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Graphics

Post your benchmarks here...

Re: Graphics

Postby Cell » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Well seeing that your MS partition is important to you,and you use your laptop a lot...why risk anything on it?People who like to play have multiple boxes,with different hardware.I personally have five test boxes,and one machine for my daily use.

Another thing....glxgears is not an real method to determine graphics speed...sure its fun,but not accurate.Load up a 3d game,and then see if you're graphics has what it takes. ;) Say for inst instance the new alien arena,or urban terror,and play online.

and yes....if you do run it then it(glxgears) should be in full screen....unless you play games in a window.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Cell wrote:Well seeing that your MS partition is important to you,and you use your laptop a lot...why risk anything on it?

I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that it would be safe owing to its separate partition. Well, other than messing up the MBR/etc. which I've learned can be repaired, albeit painfully.

But I take your meaning, anything could conceivably happen, even a plain old hard drive failure (one reason I've been trying to determine where the drive power-saving setting is). At this point the importance of the Vista partition is more as simply a working OS than for any particular data it holds. I had thought to use my old desktop for such a safety net, but it seems to be evidencing some rather odd hardware(?)-related gremlins. So yes, perhaps I should place caution slightly above my other considerations.

Cell wrote:glxgears is not an real method to determine graphics speed...sure its fun,but not accurate.

That is exactly what I've been reading. Not only that it is inaccurate but that it can be downright misleading; I have read of people trying changes that caused their "glxgears score" to drop but their real-world(lol) graphics performance to increase - and vice versa. So one cannot even use it as a personal benchmark.

Cell wrote:Load up a 3d game

Something else that I never understood: 3d? I have yet to see any computer that produces hologram-graphics. All that I have used output to a monitor and therefore EVERYTHING is 2d.

Cell wrote:Say for inst instance the new alien arena,or urban terror,and play online.

It failed to properly run GTA: VC natively, I know better. So far it seems to handle card games and chess (but it won't even try the "3d" option) fairly well. On-board graphics are a joke. "Today's CPUs have the power to handle graphics functions" - also a joke: This laptop with its dual 1.7gHz cores, 1gig of memory, and on-board graphics won't handle games that worked quite well on my previous desktop with its 700mHz CPU, 128meg of memory, and a 32meg graphics card. Another example of "truth" in advertising.

I have been reading that a (small) few distros have much better Intel graphics performance and this gives me reason to believe that one day Ubuntu-based distros will see a great increase - or at least a return to their pre-regression levels. But it may be some time in occuring. The "HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide" thread at Ubuntuforums has grown to 117 pages. Oddly, it seems that what proves to be the best of the three suggested solutions for one person may be the worst for another - even if that other person has the same hardware. Which causes me to wonder if perhaps other factors are... a factor, such as the BIOS that a particular computer has. And in that case, I'm screwed from the start because my BIOS is a joke.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Cell » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:59 pm

2d/3d

http://ezinearticles.com/?Whats-the-Dif ... id=1634425

Don't let me from discourage you at all from trying new things. I'm just giving advise on personal experience...keep your testing separate from your work box.Then again I don't always follow the rules. ;)
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Cell wrote:If you want to play around.....then get a test box. ;)

You're right about that! Earlier in the week when this site was doing one of those things it occasionally does where you get a strange page instead of the regular home page I found a page of nothing but files. I saw the UE2.4 theme and thought it was great that we were being allowed to look at it before the actual update hit the streets. I also saw something like Ultimate G15 Toys. I didn't know what G15 meant but since it had the words "ultimate" and "toys" in it I decided to grab that one too.

Got some strange text notification when I installed that one. No big deal, I thought, I'm getting used to it - Synaptic PM complains every time I run it about Opera not having a key or something or other. But I noticed that I was getting additional errors that sounded scary and searched for G15 in Synaptic - I learned it all has to do with a keyboard that I don't have, so I uninstalled it.

[I just read a thread today that mentioned G15 and had one of those little 1" thumbnails of a graphic; when I clicked it to load the full-size image I was able to read the text that states "WARNING: If you do not have a G15 or G19 keyboard DO NOT install this package, it will break your system" - Is there no provision in linux for people to be able to insert such text into the things themselves so that when an idiot (ME) downloads them and double-clicks on them he'll be presented with the warning instead of his poor ignorant computer happily trying to install something he can't use? These "install-files," they must be like self-extracting archives; never used them but I know in a regular RAR archive there's lots of space on the right side of the screen for people to put text display for the person that is extracting it. That would seem like a VERY nice feature to add to the linux install/extract program!]

It seems like all the G15 stuff that I found in Synaptic and marked for removal removed ok. But I also decided to mark the UE2.4 theme(?) artwork at the same time because it seemed silly to be presented with an UE2.4 full-screen graphic when I shut down my computer when I only had 2.3. It uninstalled - and screwed up my mouse cursors in the process. I ended up with the regular slowly-rotating one but for the additional ones I had some old pre-Windows-era looking things, for example instead of the Ultimate Edition globe that shows the system is busy, I got a black stationary hourglass.

I THINK I was able to fix it by selecting every currently installed package in Synaptic PM that had the word Ultimate in it for reinstallation. I was presented with a whole bunch of errors, clicked to close the window, it downloaded some more, gave me the errors again (the last being file size mismatch or something or other), but that time when I closed the box it didn't download anything else.

Kind of a PitA just to remove a UE2.4 graphic :roll: . But I not only got my regular cursors back, System / Preferences / Cursor Selection is once again working instead of just showing ? characters in little blue diamonds for each of the four cursors at the bottom of the screen.

So... All's well that ends well I guess, but it definitely drives your point home to me - if simply installing a couple of things can cause me so much hassle then I most assuredly won't bother trying to make the graphics work right or try a new kernel or anything REALLY tricky like that!
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Driver » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I wanted to give an update. Running 32-bit Ultimate Edition 2.4 on the laptop with Intel graphics. Definite improvement over 2.3 with no tuning required. <BREW>

Default Window:
2831 frames in 5.0 seconds = 566.2 fps
2822 frames in 5.0 seconds = 564.4 fps
2845 frames in 5.0 seconds = 569.0 fps
2836 frames in 5.0 seconds = 567.2 fps

Fullscreen Mode:
317 frames in 5.0 seconds = 62.2 fps
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.4 fps

And with my old desktop (see SIG for specs) I have higher numbers.

Default Window:
5245 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1049.0 fps
5273 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1054.6 fps
4907 frames in 5.0 seconds = 981.4 fps

Fullscreen Mode:
489 frames in 5.0 seconds = 97.8 fps
494 frames in 5.0 seconds = 98.8 fps
498 frames in 5.0 seconds = 99.6 fps
501 frames in 5.0 seconds = 100.2
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:52 am

Code: Select all
glxgears

All effects are DISABLE - Intel card.

2285 frames in 5.0 seconds
1699 frames in 5.0 seconds
2299 frames in 5.0 seconds
2272 frames in 5.0 seconds
2226 frames in 5.0 seconds
Admin-Amir

Postby maxmojo53 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:56 am

31440 frames in 5.0 seconds
33672 frames in 5.0 seconds
29881 frames in 5.0 seconds
29532 frames in 5.0 seconds
28774 frames in 5.0 seconds
34594 frames in 5.0 seconds
Core 2 Quad Q9400
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
Nvidia GTS 250 1024
2-500gb SATA, 1-260gb SATA, 1- 500gb Free Agent
8gb Corsair mem. Happague PVR-150 TV Capture card
Ultimate Edition 2.9 64, Windows 7
maxmojo53
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby JOHNNYG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:52 pm

ATI 9600 , Compiz running approx.80 % effects on ! :) "Out the box" Drivers ! <BREW>

john@john-desktop:~$ glxgears
2698 frames in 5.0 seconds
3095 frames in 5.0 seconds
2965 frames in 5.0 seconds
3121 frames in 5.0 seconds
3055 frames in 5.0 seconds
3169 frames in 5.0 seconds
3468 frames in 5.0 seconds
3586 frames in 5.0 seconds
3694 frames in 5.0 seconds
3000 frames in 5.0 seconds
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby sambolinux » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Here are mine(with everything off: no antiliasing, no mipmap detail, etc):

sambo@ubuntu32bit:~$ glxgears
19154 frames in 5.0 seconds
19149 frames in 5.0 seconds
19355 frames in 5.0 seconds
19014 frames in 5.0 seconds
19281 frames in 5.0 seconds
19280 frames in 5.0 seconds
19133 frames in 5.0 seconds
19143 frames in 5.0 seconds
19203 frames in 5.0 seconds
19304 frames in 5.0 seconds
Computer: Antec NSK6500 case, MSI K9A2 Platinum, BE940 Phenom II,6gig ddr2 1066mhz ram, 4 sata hd (1 250gb seagate w/acronis for op sys bkp only and 1 TB wd green for movie bkp only and disconnected) , 3 1TB wd black sata II(no raid),Zalman 9700 air cooler, on board realsucks sound, Sony 42" hdtv connected to a 4670 ATI Radeon video card/ w Zalman 900 air cooler(very quiet) , 21.5 in Acer lcd monitor(cheap monitor finally died) , 2 ide dvd rw drives LG , 1 sata hp 340i bluray disk writer
OP sys : Win XP Pro, 1 Win7-64bit-ultimate and 1 custom precise 12.04 with all media codecs compiled by me and a bunch of media encoders.
sambolinux
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby cowboy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 pm

here is mine
david@david-desktop:~$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
107486 frames in 5.0 seconds
111815 frames in 5.0 seconds
111845 frames in 5.0 seconds
111814 frames in 5.0 seconds
111771 frames in 5.0 seconds
111860 frames in 5.0 seconds
111832 frames in 5.0 seconds
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 49 requests (48 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
david@david-desktop:~$
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God