Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

POST QUESTIONS/COMMENTS ON THE DEBIAN INSTALL GUIDE HERE

Post your How to's here

Re: POST QUESTIONS/COMMENTS ON THE DEBIAN INSTALL GUIDE HERE

Postby pch.shot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:54 am

'Nah im not "eliet" enough for them.'
Debian should be happy to have someone as bright as you....
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby drama » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 am

SaddleTramp wrote:
drama wrote:Btw you can prob remove the files we downloaded and moved to debian now too.

Code: Select all
rm -R /usr/downloads

Also since i dont have nvidia graphics and i noticed you do. Would you be interested in helping me with the portion of the guide pertaining to that? I have a set of directions laying around somewhere (will have to dig them up) that are rumored to work i just cant verify them.
Will be glad too...I just downloaded the 180.44 drivers from nVidia and will be installing them later today...tell ya what, if you got another part you're working on, go ahead and do that, and I'll take care of the nVidia drivers for ya (of course I'll come to you if something doesn't work just right), but I don't think there's going to be a problem with it...the directions on the nVidia site are fairly simple..only hangup I can see would be the header config nVidia does during the install...I'll let ya know as soon as I get'er done......Gotta go see a fella about clearing a little land and moving some dirt..shouldn't be gone to long...

Sounds like a plan. I'm gonna start back up on the amarok/mysql thing later today since the new version of mysql that fixes the add users bug finally got moved from unstable to testing.

If possible could you try both ways? Using the nvidia installer script as well as using the ones from the repo?

I just ask because i know some people prefer one method over the other. Of course documenting the whole process including what packages it installs (not just from the apt-get install line but what it decides to grab as deps). Would be much appreciated.

Here is a link that shows the "debian way" ie precompiled (still have to compile the kernal mod).

Nvidia install: the debian way

Might also be helpful

Thankx in advance. <BREW>

pch.shot wrote:'Nah im not "eliet" enough for them.'

Ty for the compliment bro. <BREW> I found out that the best way to learn is to purposly break it and then try to fix it. I learnt alot that way. Trial and error too. Plus google is my best friend. Im always looking for ways to bring in more knowledge to my brain.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Not a problem...I'll work it both ways and do the write-up for your review <BREW> <BREW>
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby tuxsax » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:32 am

pch.shot wrote:'Nah im not "eliet" enough for them.'

You're right about that, the only problem is he cant' qualify on one of the requirements, drama is not A$$hole enough to work for debian... heheheh...
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby pch.shot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:14 am

'drama is not A$$hole enough to work for debian... heheheh...
I would finally have to agree with you on that one, tuxsax.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby tuxsax » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:18 pm

pch.shot wrote:'drama is not A$$hole enough to work for debian... heheheh...
I would finally have to agree with you on that one, tuxsax.

Wow, this is an historic moment!
U.E. Master

Postby SaddleTramp » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Drama: ran into a snag...tried to install using nVidia site file and now not sure if I'm still connecting to the internet (even tho' it still shows I'm connected)...nVidia file requires 'binutils', 'gcc', and I don't know what else yet due to now I get "Could not resolve ftp.debian.org" errors for all repo's. Going to try a couple of things & will let you know how it works out...just an update to let ya know I'm working on it...soon as I get the connection deal straightened out, I'll try installing the "Debian" way and see how that pans out....

EDIT: Mon 13 Apr@0120

Reinstalled Debian and followed procedures...Internet connection back up!! Couple of things you might want to note:

(1) OPTIONAL Part 5: If user elects to install gdm & iceweasel, the system will restart back into the Desktop. Add note (for noobie's) to start Terminal and proceed to Part 6;

(2) Part 7: Installation from nm-unstable ends with popup error "The NetworkManager applet could not find some required resources. It cannot continue." I clicked the "OK" button on this, and it does not appear to cause any problems with NetworkManager auto-detecting the modem (CDMA). Also not any problems connecting to the Internet. May want to insert a note about the popup error and to just click "OK" and continue with installation.

Had forgot about these before, but noted them when I reinstalled this time...now on to nVidia install...

If you had rather, I can take care of corrections for you (if you don't mind me editing the How-to) so that doesn't take up more of your time and you can concentrate on what you're currently working on (I'll highlight the changes I make in green) so you'll notice the changes easily when you get a chance to scan back thru...
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby tuxsax » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 am

binutils and gcc are both part of the "build-essential" meta package, perhaps you can try to "apt-get install build-essential" in order to solve those missing dependencies.
U.E. Master

Postby drama » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:28 am

SaddleTramp wrote:Drama: ran into a snag...tried to install using nVidia site file and now not sure if I'm still connecting to the internet (even tho' it still shows I'm connected)...nVidia file requires 'binutils', 'gcc', and I don't know what else yet due to now I get "Could not resolve ftp.debian.org" errors for all repo's. Going to try a couple of things & will let you know how it works out...just an update to let ya know I'm working on it...soon as I get the connection deal straightened out, I'll try installing the "Debian" way and see how that pans out....

EDIT: Mon 13 Apr@0120

Reinstalled Debian and followed procedures...Internet connection back up!! Couple of things you might want to note:

(1) OPTIONAL Part 5: If user elects to install gdm & iceweasel, the system will restart back into the Desktop. Add note (for noobie's) to start Terminal and proceed to Part 6;

(2) Part 7: Installation from nm-unstable ends with popup error "The NetworkManager applet could not find some required resources. It cannot continue." I clicked the "OK" button on this, and it does not appear to cause any problems with NetworkManager auto-detecting the modem (CDMA). Also not any problems connecting to the Internet. May want to insert a note about the popup error and to just click "OK" and continue with installation.

Had forgot about these before, but noted them when I reinstalled this time...now on to nVidia install...

If you had rather, I can take care of corrections for you (if you don't mind me editing the How-to) so that doesn't take up more of your time and you can concentrate on what you're currently working on (I'll highlight the changes I make in green) so you'll notice the changes easily when you get a chance to scan back thru...

i dont mind you editing it at all. I havent added that part to my howto yet though but that is up next. Im in the process of reworking so parts of the howto. I did a reinstall so i can dual boot both I386 and x64 that way i can easily add any differences between i386 and amd64 to the howto. Realized there were some sections i missed, alsaconf has also been ripped (command no longer exists...i dont agree with this choice by debian at all). Realized that changing "apt.conf" shouldnt be done until after the installation of graphics drivers. So the howto is kinda on hold atm until i fix all of these sections (will be unlocked when its all fixed). Also gonna make a i386 version of the guide i gave to you for getting the network manager from unstable. With updated packages of course for amd64 and i386 (plan on updating the packages/archives i uploaded once every 2 months).

As far as your problem resolving the repos. the only thing i can think of is maybe your network connection died off of maybe that repo was down.

Here is an official mirror list including both primary (country.debian.org) and secondary (various colleges and whatnot) mirrors.

http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

As for the build tools this is what i would use

Code: Select all
aptitude install module-assistant build-essential fakeroot dh-make debconf bzip2 wget debhelper libstdc++5 linux-headers-$(uname -r)

and since your on amd64 dont forget ia32-libs.

Unlike ubuntu and Ultimate Edition we cant use dkms to build the kernel module (it dont exist...that is why we need module-assistant).

Also when building if it complains about needing to use gcc 4.1.1 because our kernel is compiled with it but 4.3.1 is installed. Let me know and ill try to dig through my notes for the fix. Cant remember right off the top of my head how to switch the default gcc and then switch it back.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I may be narrowing down the problem...nVidia Debian way (the link you left up there) installs fine...somewhere along the way some updates were added (including the kernal from 2.6.26-1 to 2.6.26-2) and it wasn't done by me LOL...but the repos were updated also (somehow, I don't know how yet, all Debian including from sid, were added and marked, which is maybe where all the dist updates/upgrades came from)...and since I wasn't aware yet enough to watch for that happening, it took hold and this is where the Internet connection went to #$#@...it shows I'm connected, but iceweasel can't find anything and if I try to reload the repos, I get all those "can't resolve" errors...gimme some time tho' and I'll get it figured out...as for the nVidia drivers install deal, all that went fine by the Debian way from your link...I can write that up real quick with a highlighted note that any users using wireless anything may want to hold off on that and just use the provided vesa drivers instead until we get it figured out...of course anyone with a little advanced knowledge will be more than welcome to join in on getting the wireless problems after the drivers install resolved....

I'm going to do another reinstall again, this time when I get to the nVidia installation, I'm going to be more alert as to everthing that is going on and see if I can get it narrowed down further...trial and error routine kind of thing ya know ;)

I'm also keeping in mind that some of this is being pulled from 'Squeeze', so some of the problems may be coming from there too (the mix of Lenny & Squeeze pkgs) it's taking to getting this wireless modem thing working...but we know that everything's good up until the nVidia routines...anyway, up until that point, we're good on that...I'll be installing into another partition also, and what that will let me do, is if things go snaky after the nVidia install, then maybe I can bind the partitions together and work from the workable Debian install that still connects to get the pkgs straightened out in the broke install...will keep ya (ya'll) posted...
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to How To's (Do not post questions please)