Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Crashing at random

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Crashing at random

Postby csc2ya » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm having a problem with Ultimate Edition crashing every few days.

It seems to be completely random as to when it will crash. I usually leave my laptop on 24 hours a day, and only reboot it if there's a kernel update or the available memory starts getting too low. Sometimes it will make it to three days, sometimes 4, and earlier today it had been less than 24 hours since the last reboot.

When it crashes, the screen will go blank, and any sound will stop and it will basically go completely unresponsive. The only way to get it going again, is to turn it off by holding down the power button, then turning it on again.

The only error messages I can find are the following:

Syslog:

Dec 7 21:34:36 Laptop gdm[6329]: WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Dec 7 21:36:17 Laptop syslogd 1.5.0#1ubuntu1: restart.

Xorg.1.log:

(WW) intel(0): PRB0_CTL (0x0001f001) indicates ring buffer enabled
(WW) intel(0): PRB0_HEAD (0x7ea1eaf4) and PRB0_TAIL (0x0001eb00) indicate ring buffer not flushed
(WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.

Has anyone got any idea what's likely to be causing it, as it gets annoying when i'm doing something and it will suddenly freeze.

One thing that may be relevant (i'm not sure though) is that it is configured to triple boot with windows vista and macosx on the internal drive, and Ultimate Edition on an external USB drive.

i've run memtest to rule out any memory issues, and that hasn't detected anything that may be amiss.
Craig Turner
Computing Support Centre Administrator
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Re: Crashing at random

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 am

Are you using a Uninterruptible Power Supply on the External drive?
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby csc2ya » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:32 am

No i'm not. It's plugged into a surge protected power strip, but it's not a UPS.
Craig Turner
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 am

That may be the source of your problems.
Until you can beg, borrow, steal or buy a UPS, you might want to turn it off when you walk away.
You got to reboot when it freezes anyway.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby csc2ya » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got the feeling the external drive might be failing anyway, as when my laptop has been off for a while, it doesn't always spin up first time when booting linux, which is the main reason I leave it turned on all the time.

I might have to back up my data before it dies completely and get a new drive to replace it.
Craig Turner
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8