Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

re branding a custom Linux Distro? Changing The main Text!

Source code I have written openly published for your viewing pleasure.

re branding a custom Linux Distro? Changing The main Text!

Postby mikeuhlik » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:35 am

Hi everyone I was wondering how to change and edit text in a custom Distro to re brand it a good example is Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

I read this post on the net and was wondering if you Linux Mint would be willing to help and give any tips on this issue.
So many people have been asking the same question and we would love your help because of your great experience creating a great Distro.

Post I read below.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.linuxmint.com/

They both have Ubuntu stuff but the creator of Linux Mint has changed all the Ubuntu text to Linux Mint including kernel and more I have seen so many Distros out based off of Ubuntu having looked all over the net for months on how to do this. I have even looked in the file by them selfs to see if I can just find the text Ubuntu in any file the next step for me is to extract all the files from the Linuxmint.iso and look in every file there for Linux Mint were Ubuntu would be to verify the change is correct and safe to make this is the only way. I think this could be accomplished I know that the doc folders is a good start to re branding your Linux Distro. Also the item in the main Ubuntu menu system I was wondering if any one new were it says About Ubuntu were these file might be in the main drive were Ubuntu is installed so I could change this. I am surprised with all the new Distros no one has taken the time to explain this or help make a guide for the noobs like me to the Linux world with such great community support why has no one done it like the people at Linux mint they know were the file are to change this Linux Mint it the best example of re branding Ubuntu Ditros. I guess i will manually check every file to compare each file I can find to see what is safe and accurate to change. I wish some community members would give some tip on were to find text or language file to change these text in Ubuntu when I am finished with my comparing which will be a while because I am also doing website project I will wright the best guide I can from my experience and post the PDF all over this is a big issue that know one want to tackle so ill try if any one can help or have tip and ideas I am open to hear them please let me know here. I think this is the best place to start.

(Note) for re branding it to start with all document files in the doc folders. Also if some one could tell me were the language or text file extension are to make search and comparing easy I would appreciate it a lot.

P.S. Thank for your time and help everyone in the Linux community together well make better OS Distros :)

Mike

Please if you could I would appreciate the help a lot by the way I am a huge Linux Mint fan and user.
Open Your Mind

Its The Way Of The World Its The Way Its All Ways Going To Be
mikeuhlik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: re branding a custom Linux Distro? Changing The main Text!

Postby mikeuhlik » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:36 am

Re: re branding a custom Linux Distro?

Postby red_team316 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 am
There are several programs that have been made to make remastering or creating new distros earier.

reconstructor (chroot ability)
remastersys (works like a backup)
UCK (Ubuntu Customization Kit)
Revisor (for fedora)
...I'm sure there are several others I forgot...

They all have their strengths and weaknesses depending on what you want to accomplish. I'm pretty sure several of the Mints were made with a combination of reconstructor/remastersys. I do development for reconstructor, so thats my preference :P

TheeMahn does his customizations by hand now. You can also look in the Programming section, as he has showed how he has made several of the Ultimate Edition releases.
Open Your Mind

mikeuhlik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby mikeuhlik » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 am

I Have been using a lot of the mentioned OS Distro creators but non of them show how to change the text like Ubuntu on the install screen to (MYOS) Thats the main thing i have not found out how to do like when i install your distro it say Ultimate on the install page i found were to change the kernel and some other text in the main new Ubuntu 8.10 like the help doc and so on but not the install page if you could help let me know.

I will keep reading your Programming section.
:o

I moved the post here realizing is a better section to have it. and hoping for some help from TheeMahn since he made the Ultimate boot page.
Thanks so much for your time.
Open Your Mind

mikeuhlik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby mikeuhlik » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:03 am

OK This is what i was trying to do i want to roll my own distro based off of Ubuntu.
I was wondering how do i change the text in the Linux operating system (Ubuntu) to the name i pick for my distro Example (MYOS). I made a PDF with Picture to explain in full detail of what i am trying to accomplish. There is a attachment to this post of the PDf to download.

After reading my PDF.
I want to Change any other text that is Ubuntu in the OS.

I was thinking dose any one know what the file Extension is for the files that hold the text for example i know when you make a translation for Ubuntu or linux Mint they are .mo and .po file but these are for Translation i need default text for the OS. Also i noticed that in the file system were Ubuntu is installed there was a file in this location
/boot/grub it has a files called menu.lst, menu.lst.backup, & menu.lst_original which has this text

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
boot

Changed the above to (MYOS) on all 3 file listed above it worked but cant find any other files.

title MYOS, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
boot

I was wondering if the .lst file extension is a type of language file for the Linux OS and if it is were do I find the other ones for the default OS.

there has to be a language file format for the text to be called from by the Linux OS dose any one know what is is?
Kind like a website php script has language files to pull all the text from.

Thanks Mike
Attachments
custom-distro-post.pdf
Full detail of what i am trying to accomplish.
(294.77 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
Open Your Mind

mikeuhlik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 am

Hello and welcome to Ultimate Edition...this here might help, if it doesn't it will serve as a good bookmark for me.. ;) http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-lin ... rompt.html
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was wanting to know how to do this:
grub.png
Grub splash

The image must be 640 X 480 indexed, on to the code:
Code: Select all
DEFAULT /casper/vmlinuz
GFXBOOT bootlogo
GFXBOOT-FOREGROUND 0x00FF00
GFXBOOT-BACKGROUND 0x605C40
    APPEND  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
LABEL live
  menu label ^Start or install Ultimate Edition
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
LABEL xforcevesa
  menu label Start Ultimate Edition in safe ^graphics mode
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper xforcevesa initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
LABEL driverupdates
  menu label Install with driver ^update CD
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper debian-installer/driver-update=true initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
LABEL oem
  menu label ^OEM install (for manufacturers)
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper oem-config/enable=true initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
LABEL memtest
  menu label ^Memory test
  kernel /install/mt86plus
  append -
LABEL hd
  menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
  localboot 0x80
  append -
DISPLAY isolinux.txt
TIMEOUT 300
PROMPT 1
F1 f1.txt
F2 f2.txt
F3 f3.txt
F4 f4.txt
F5 f5.txt
F6 f6.txt
F7 f7.txt
F8 f8.txt
F9 f9.txt
F0 f10.txt

I will also provide full source that I have changed in the isolinux folder:
isolinux.tar.gz
Source
(21.77 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

Just seen your pdf... yes he was wanting to know the above, as far as about ubuntu I have not worked on this yet, note the word yet ;) I may also write my own custom help file to replace ubuntus with faqs / answers.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: re branding a custom Linux Distro? Changing The main Tex

Postby jsfmills » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:20 am

I want to change the text like on the install screen it says start or install Ubuntu or Linux Mint.Also most Text and like a PHP website script they have language file to handle the text being used by the software to pull the text from I was wondering is there a text file like this for Ubuntu or Linux Mint.I Don't want to make a full custom distro because i like the repos in Ubuntu and other Debian based Distros.The ideal solution would be that the Customization portal site could support more than one customization per partner. I think this is a common need, since many of us have multiple licenses.
jsfmills
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Programming