Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby SaddleTramp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:06 am

Shady wrote:Saddletramp, thank you for sticking with me on this, I have not tried your above fix attempts yet due to time constraints at the moment, playing with Linux oer the weekend has put me behind in my schoolwork and my wife is getting a bit peeved at my lack of time for her lol, but I will try them later this week or this weekend, dont give up on me yet!....anyway, gotta get back to the books for now, and again, thanks for sticking with me =) You are appreciated =) <BREW>

You're quite welcome :) Man, glad I don't have those kinda schedules anymore :lol: I'd end up readin' the wife and huggin' the books and tryin' to sleep on the computer (which I have done!! :o ) I got all the time in the world bud, so we'll get it goin'...and learn a bunch (both of us) in the process :mrgreen: 8-)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Shady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:03 pm

well, as i said above, i found some time (sleep time) to try your suggestions. all to no avail =(. I'm considering now restoring the MBR with FIXMBR and using NTLDR as as the boot manager :(
System Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
2074 MB Ram dual channel mode
GeForce 7900 GT KO
SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Music
250 GB HDD x 2
Lite-on CD RW/DVD ROM
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard.
Shady
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Postby tbird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Have you tried dual booting on single drive (disable or remove other). Also not sure if it matters but are both drives same type i.e both SATA's IDEs or mixed and both set to master? Just read post here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=838060
Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate.
Fear no enemy, deny no friend.
tbird
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Shady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey guys, I would like to say thank you for all your time and wonderful input with helping here. I ended up giving up on Grub booting succesfully from the first SATA drive, the one XP is on. I eventually managed to be able to dual boot, by a whole new workaround. I had to reinstall Ultimate Edition but this time, when it got to the end of the partitioning section there was an advanced button. Clicking there i changed the default installation of Grub to the second SATA drive's MBR (sdb). now of course Ubuntu would not start up because Windows drive (sda) does not know its there, so I had to use the Super Grub Disk to forcefully boot sdb. Once in the Linux drive i made a copy of the boot sector and then copied that to the Windows root so that i could use that in NTLDR to boot sdb. Then had to modify my boot.ini to reflect the new choice which then booted Grub on sdb for me which boots Linux. Not the prettiest solution in the world but it works basically invisibly and no need to boot from SuperGrub anymore. I therefore consider this problem CLOSED. Thank you all again for banging the wall with me =)

Shady
System Specs
GeForce 7900 GT KO
250 GB HDD x 2
Lite-on CD RW/DVD ROM
Shady
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Shady wrote:Hey guys, I would like to say thank you for all your time and wonderful input with helping here. I ended up giving up on Grub booting succesfully from the first SATA drive, the one XP is on. I eventually managed to be able to dual boot, by a whole new workaround. I had to reinstall Ultimate Edition but this time, when it got to the end of the partitioning section there was an advanced button. Clicking there i changed the default installation of Grub to the second SATA drive's MBR (sdb). now of course Ubuntu would not start up because Windows drive (sda) does not know its there, so I had to use the Super Grub Disk to forcefully boot sdb. Once in the Linux drive i made a copy of the boot sector and then copied that to the Windows root so that i could use that in NTLDR to boot sdb. Then had to modify my boot.ini to reflect the new choice which then booted Grub on sdb for me which boots Linux. Not the prettiest solution in the world but it works basically invisibly and no need to boot from SuperGrub anymore. I therefore consider this problem CLOSED. Thank you all again for banging the wall with me =)

Shady

:lol: Sure enuff sounds like ya took the scenic route there Shady ;) Adding this one amongst my notes ;) Glad you figured a way to git-r-dun!! WTG!! <BREW> <BREW> :D 8-)
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Shady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Shady wrote::lol: Sure enuff sounds like ya took the scenic route there Shady ;) Adding this one amongst my notes ;) Glad you figured a way to git-r-dun!! WTG!! <BREW> <BREW> :D 8-)

lol thank you, If you guys would like, I can put up a more detailed step-by-step of how to achieve this is a howTo format, showing all the necessary steps and terminal commands.
System Specs
GeForce 7900 GT KO
250 GB HDD x 2
Lite-on CD RW/DVD ROM
Shady
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Shady wrote:
Shady wrote::lol: Sure enuff sounds like ya took the scenic route there Shady ;) Adding this one amongst my notes ;) Glad you figured a way to git-r-dun!! WTG!! <BREW> <BREW> :D 8-)

lol thank you, If you guys would like, I can put up a more detailed step-by-step of how to achieve this is a howTo format, showing all the necessary steps and terminal commands.
You're quite welcome ;) The How-to would be great!!! :D When you're ready, post it in the How-to forum (obviously ;) ), it'll show up after approval...Thanks again Shady <BREW> <BREW> 8-)
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 am

Don't feel bad, I have a problem with getting GRUB installed to the right disc/partition every time I install still!!! Never had this many problems with GRUB on Gusty/Fiesty based OS's :evil:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby tbird » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:34 pm

The strange thing I find about Linux is the vast differences is has on many types of PCs. I installed Mandriva 08 last year and it almost had no problems on my machine but the Spring version gives me display errors where my screen just displays that it cannot shoe this resolution... I had that with the previous Ubuntus to this one....
Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate.
Fear no enemy, deny no friend.
tbird
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby SaddleTramp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 pm

tbird wrote:The strange thing I find about Linux is the vast differences is has on many types of PCs. I installed Mandriva 08 last year and it almost had no problems on my machine but the Spring version gives me display errors where my screen just displays that it cannot shoe this resolution... I had that with the previous Ubuntus to this one....

Yep..and stranger still when you have 2 identical systems, and the same piece of software has a problem with a particular piece of hardware on one, but not the other :? That really tears some people up :lol:
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8