Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Sound working before but not anymore

Help & Support for Ultimate Edition 1.5

Re: Sound working before but not anymore

Postby drama » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Epic wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. Adding acpi=off to the kernel line in menu.lst worked for me even tough it's strange that the bug was IO-APIC related and not ACPI. I'd like to know if adding acpi=off actually makes a difference on things I can do or cannot do in Ultimate with that option added. Thanks again for the solution, I really appreciate it :)

when you boot it says "mp-bios bug io-apic timer not connected" correct? i get the same thing. always have for as long as i can remember (im on a desktop). while it is annoying to have to see it on every boot ive never really tried to fix it. doesnt seem to cause any problems though.

as far as removing alsa screwing things up. thats my mistake i forgot to mention a few things. the way i do it is open synaptic. search for "alsa" remove everything that has alsa in the name. it will also remove some other packages as they depend on some of the alsa packages. i always make note of every thing that it wants to remove. after its done with the removal i reinstall EVERY package it just removed then reboot. its very possible that it removed something very important along with alsa and you didnt reinstall it. that would be my guess anyway. your right though it is very sad that they wont fix something just because it doesnt effect the majority of people. its not a ubuntu issue though its the alsa devs since this happens with every distro ive used.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Epic » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Yea, that's exactly the message I was getting before. After I added the acpi=off option to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst the message went away. Now I'm not annoyed anymore :D Even though with that "bug" before; it didn't seem to cause any problems, but I still didn't like getting that message. When I showed my friends Ultimate and how it's so much better than Windows, that small bug message was getting into my nerves because people would see it and ask me what is that all about? (and maybe in their minds conclude that Linux is not so good after all) which is a dumb thing to say. I try to explain to them that machines people usually buy come with the label "Designed for Windows XP" which basically means it will work with Windows XP out of the box with no tweaking and no bugs regarding hardware.
Last edited by Epic on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Epic » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:42 pm

as far as removing alsa screwing things up. thats my mistake i forgot to mention a few things. the way i do it is open synaptic. search for "alsa" remove everything that has alsa in the name. it will also remove some other packages as they depend on some of the alsa packages. i always make note of every thing that it wants to remove. after its done with the removal i reinstall EVERY package it just removed then reboot. its very possible that it removed something very important along with alsa and you didnt reinstall it. that would be my guess anyway. your right though it is very sad that they wont fix something just because it doesnt effect the majority of people. its not a ubuntu issue though its the alsa devs since this happens with every distro ive used.

Is there a way to avoid getting alsa screwed up and having to remove it and reinstall it again?
Epic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby drama » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:44 pm

Epic wrote:Is there a way to avoid getting alsa screwed up and having to remove it and reinstall it again?

not that ive discovered. some people just get fed up with it and switch from auto detect (auto always tries to use alsa) to using oss or one of the other sound systems. in this case device would also need to be changed to oss. it seems to work for most people however its not a solution for me since i use jack and alot of audio production apps so i have to use alsa in those cases. i do assume there are more people that have this prob than have been reported though (they just use another sound system). i did find a few interesting posts though that may work. im gonna try them next time mine screws up. it appears to be pointing that the permissions get screwed up (idk how thats possible though).

sudo vim /etc/group

change

audio:x:29:

to

audio:x:29:tim

replace tim with your username

reboot.

it appears to have worked for quite a few people but i have my doubts.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Epic » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 am

sudo vim /etc/group
change
audio:x:29:
to
audio:x:29:tim
replace tim with your username
reboot.
it appears to have worked for quite a few people but i have my doubts.

Thanks for the solution. For now my sound works since I reinstalled Ultimate from scratch, but I'll have that in mind for the future if it happens again. :D
Epic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.5