Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 3.2 just unity

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 3.2

Re: Ultimate Edition 3.2 just unity

Postby Billie Cowie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:39 am

Hi Moebius,
nice to hear from you again. You make a good case for Unity. If you like it, all well and good.
I don't ,and it's not because I don't know how to use it. I find it a lot clumsier than Gnome3 and uglyto boot.( no pun intended!)
I think most people who dislike Unity do so for the latter reason. It's as much about look as it is feel or ease/practicality of use.
Gnome3 makes working faster too, but most people are not as concerned about speed as our Businessmen and Politicians /Scientists would like us to be.
Sure it's a rapidly changing world. Nothing wrong with that, but there is change and there is change.Change is the fulcrum of equilibrium, but consistency of focus is the essential key of survival.Standing in the middle of the storms eye allows you to experience the calm within and slows everything down enabling you to focus. Move out of your center and Chaos reigns, no matter which direction you take.Whatever you think of Unity-where is the consistency when Shuttleworth is already talking about HUD, which some people view as progress and others regress?
People don't have to accept everything because it's new.Being innovative or original doesn't mean it is essential to peoples life/work experiences.As for speed, fast cars may get you there quicker, but how much of the route do you remember on the way?On the speed issue, many people today are realising they need to take things slower to appreciate the finer things in life, like the smell of roses and new cut hay on a summer's day.Speed is just another selling point, but things often get done better when people don't feel pressured or rushed, and more and more people are beginning to realise that too.Speed is not as much of the essence as todays world leaders would like to think.Rushing people to make decisions is a political ploy to keep people off-balance so they don't form activist groups like Anonymous. No I'm not going off-track here. It's all connected. The Tao is the Tao!
Another way of getting people to do what you want or buy what you are selling is to limit their choices, but in a competitive world that's not so easy.Think Microsoft! With Unity ,Ubuntu has tried to dominate the open-source world, and it's a ploy that has failed, hence the coming of the incredible HUD!
If it's about choices my choice is Gnome3,for me it works better,feels better and looks better. Some prefer Blondes and some Brunettes. That's another reason I was never too keen on Canonical's Ubuntu- all that horrible purple.Appearances can be changed of course but that doesn't come under ease of use/practicality or speed. Why is Ultimate Edition so popular-Eyecandy, is one reason, but ease of customisation is the primary reason.
Yes you can do that with other OS's too,but with a lot more inconvenience and far less options.Customisability gives a sense of ownership to the individual. So too does the freedom to change your look. That's why the fashion industry still flourishes despite in itself being a contradiction in logic.It encourages the belief that the consumer is in control.Of course it's not just about appearances but I should say it's about 50% of the selling point.
Ask any Chef and they will tell you the same thing, food is first eaten with the eyes! It's a question of presentation not just edibility.
Catch you later ,Moebius. :P
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Moebius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 am

My partner in Zen! :lol:
You and I would have one hell of a discussion in a Pub over the pros and cons of each I reckon, but I tell you what, I bet both of us would be right. ;)

Cheers. <BREW>
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby tanmay.01 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 am

Agree with Moebius and BLACKWOLF ....

This is what i don't like of both ...(NOTHING PERSONAL)
Lets start with Gnome 3
1.Top-Panel(more of those round edges)
2.Activities (when i have alt+TAB, why do i need to see windows as the first tab,i want applications 1st)
3.No minimise
4.Ctrl+Alt+Down => New Screen.(How many screens should i keep without minimise)
5.Indicators at the bottom right.
(A change here(accepted), but when other indicators at top-right where are their cousins..) :downthere
etc.etc
Yes there should be a change in the UI but there should be some sensible changes made.They want GNOME3 to make a mark.. But GNOME 2 made it already din't it ;)

Now to unity
1.Heavier than Gnome 3
2.The unity icon/ubuntu icon would show files by default click(UPDATE: latest unity u can right click and choose lens of your choice, and add any no of custom lenses)
3.No minimise when clicked on the icon in unity.(The is an addon available, but not present by default.)
4.Position of unity launcher (can be ?)
5.None

So after analysing, i finally shifted to unity( i actually wrote UNITY instead of UNIT TEST 2 in my paper the other day).

Here is my 3.01 and 12.04(update till 10/4/12 and not so beautiful as used only for testing). I still love my 3.01 and don't want to leave it for 12.04 (But Thee Mahn's Next stable release or Black Opal may make me move on ....)
Attachments
s1204.png
s301.png
HP ENVY 15
•3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
• 1GB Radeon(TheeMahn) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI]
• 6GB 1600DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
• Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R)
• Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard.

tanmay.01

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby billhedrick » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm

I am having network issues at home, my onboard nic seems to have crapped out. I am running off of wireless. So my trying of new stuff is a little limited. I am probably going to stay with 2.6.5 once I get fully back. Not because I dislike Gnome 3 but because my old hardware doesn't support the new sound drivers and there is no room in my microATX box for another card! Next box will get 12.0.4 (Ultimate Edition 3.5) I have played a bit with KDE 4.8 and it looks to me like they have that working as well as the 3 series got to!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2