Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Missing Features?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 3.2

Missing Features?

Postby Not-a-RINO » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 am

Maybe I am getting goofy in my old age, but when I loaded Ultimate Edition 3.2 I noticed a couple of features I really liked in 2.9 missing. For example, I liked to place a launcher at the top of my screen with all my most-used apps on it. The new version has a couple of applets I can't even get rid of (Conky, for one). Maybe this is a trait of Gnome 3.0?

I tried loading my Brother HL-5340D networked laser printer (I have to have my printer!). In 2.9, I could click 'Add Printer' and run the drivers off the manufacturer's disk. It would take a grand total of 60 seconds and I would be printing a test page. In 3.2, my printer is not found and I get a firewall error. I went to the manufacturer's website to get the Linux drivers which loaded the printer, but I can't tweak it to the right IP address and without it, it doesn't print.

I really like the new OS as it is faster and is laid out nicely. The music app is great and I think the Libre Office is a smart addition. The selection of applications is very impressive. However, unless I can get my printer going, I just may have to go back to Ultimate Edition 2.9 - I know that works without a glitch.

If anyone has some suggestions just short of jumping off a bridge, let me know. I am not a well-versed command line guy, but do prefer Linux over Windowz. I really want 3.2 to work for me! Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Not-a-RINO
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Missing Features?

Postby pch.shot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Adapt.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby neonflx » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:06 pm

long time Linux and Ultimate User

how can someone adapt to not having a functional printer, I can adapt to GUI changes and not been able to customize my desktop like I used to, but not having essentials, is no adapting to that.
neonflx
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Not-a-RINO » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Adapt. I believe I have done fairly well with Ultimate Edition and other distros making them organized, customized and at the same time not cluttered on my own PCs.

Today, I managed to get the printer loaded after many attempts of tweaking, experimenting and cussing. I went ahead and re-installed the OS so it would be in "right-out-of-the-box" condition and then messed with it for about four hours trying to get a simple printer applet to work - and failed. It reminded me of one of Murphy's Laws which states, "If you improve something enough times eventually it doesn't work any more."

Not only do I adapt, I learn a lot every day. Some would consider this incredibly frustrating while I look at it as one more step towards success. Someday I may come to the point where I, too, can speak fluent command line with the best of 'em. Adapt? You bet I do! :vil2_torero
Not-a-RINO
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 am

dig in a bit deeper and take a little time :vil2_golf and you shall find the solution....
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Not-a-RINO » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 am

Neonfix- You're right - there isn't a way to adapt to not having a functioning printer besides going back to a pencil and paper!

Last night I played with CUPS and got the printer to run and run and run test sheets, but not shut off. Hey, I'm closer! This compares to Ultimate Edition 2.9 64-bit which actually detected my printer's IP and gave me the chance to run a PPD file to finish the set up. Under 2.9, it took me a grand total of 1.5 minutes to be able to run a test page and print without a glitch. I have tried using the System Settings printer option, but that does nothing; I have added an applet through Ubuntu Software Center, but that only looks like it's going to run, but never does. Lastly, it was the CUPS set up that looked easy to set up, but wouldn't shut off.

I am trying to set up a Brother HL-5340D laser printer connected to a printer server attached to my router in Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 bit. It has been a lesson in patience, but I haven't given up yet. If I find a viable solution, I will post it here in case someone else runs into difficulty setting up their printer.

"If at first you don't succeed, well, so much for sky diving!" ;)
Not-a-RINO
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am

Hi Not-a-RINO.
Sorry I can't help you further - my knowledge on anything other than my locally connected Canon MP610 falls in a dismal heap. :oops:
I also don't have the ability to guide you through suggestions as I don't have an available system.

You mention that you've tried 'printer settings' - did you choose the 'discover shared printers' option?
Also if you have a 'user settings' option in Administration, make sure you are added to all groups.
Sorry I can't help further.
I appreciate you willing to persevere and coming back and letting us know how you go. :D

All the best. <BREW>
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 am

Hello Not-a-rino,
have you checked linux printer compatibility with a forum such as linuxquestions.org or the Ubuntu forum?
These issues are not exclusive to U.E, and it's easy to forget there is a much bigger Linux-community out there that can offer further help.
Sometimes,for example, a new spec-computer system isn't compatible with existing printer-drivers and it's the printer-company that needs to catch up.That's another option-to check with Brother and give them your hardware-specs.
Epson & HP appear to be the more linux-compatible printers by default (at least on my systems)but although they often plug and play there is still a need for colour calibration on both Monitor and Printer. Cups has limited (but good) capabilities here but if your printer is forced to work with a partly compatible driver ( earlier version) the colour-calibration will still be affected.
I am waiting for someone to write the Ultimate Guide to Linux Printers but it could be a long wait.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but I do think you should check out other linux forums to find a potential solution.
Good Luck!
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am

Lighten up guys, It's just a joke.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby billhedrick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:01 am

Let me apologize for the curtness of some responses. We strive to help as much as we can here, and I am certain there are work arounds for it. Please bear with us, as we are humans too who can get too short and have bad days as well.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2