Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

UE3.2 has 6 D/E... but can only use Gnome Classic -XBMC

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 3.2

UE3.2 has 6 D/E... but can only use Gnome Classic -XBMC

Postby delicadaz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 am

So install went fine - followed Thee's instuctions and installed with cable out and using wireless on LiveDVD
add all updates and 3rd party codecs
reboot
wireless installed and works great............. Nvidia graphics installed and works ........ i did nothing to activate these !!
As Per instructions activated metacity and unity panel
log out / log in - Ubuntu ................... wallpaper comes up ....90secs later extHDD icon and folder icon appears
NO Unity side panel no hot keys work ............waited 5 mins .......nothing

So
Try logging out and going to Gnome ..........samething happens..... no side panel ...... wait 5 mins .....nothing

Ctrl-ALt-Del ... log out - log in gnome classic ............. everything is there............ go back and change metacity back to compiz .....but left the unity panel ticked

took about 3 or 4 mins but all of a sudden the Unity panel appeared ...........and i am in Gnome Classic

so now im going to try going back to Ubuntu with COMPIZ and not metacity

back soon :lol:
\DD
delicadaz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: UE3.2 has 6 D/E... but can only use Gnome Classic -XBMC

Postby megaptera » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:40 am

Have you tried this " .... please tolerate the installation of Ultimate Edition 3.2 utilizing Gnome as your default environment. Boot back into gnome for the last time. Right click your fusion icon in the tray. PLEASE SELECT METACITY as your default manager, trying to save you the headache prior. Then right click again goto settings manager and enable unity plugin." From TheeMahn here: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=7542
megaptera

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Billie Cowie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 am

Hi Delicadaz,
I can't help you with the Unity panel as I haven't installed 3.2 yet, but regarding Gnome3 , I use it in Dream Multimedia 2 with Unity Plugin disabled in compiz!
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby delicadaz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 am

megaptera wrote:Have you tried this " .... please tolerate the installation of Ultimate Edition 3.2 utilizing Gnome as your default environment. Boot back into gnome for the last time. Right click your fusion icon in the tray. PLEASE SELECT METACITY as your default manager, trying to save you the headache prior. Then right click again goto settings manager and enable unity plugin." From TheeMahn here: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=7542

Mate ............ god you make me laugh........did you read my post ................ TWICE i clearly state that i followed Theemahns instructions ............

and now i have even gone against his instructions ..................... nothing changes

except that i have only 2 desktops now..... so cube is a 2 sided flat panel .......... and nothing i do is giving me back my desktops .......... even tho compiz and the desktop notifier in bottom panel and in my Cairo dock ALL say i have 4 desktops.

AND UE3.2 theme has just disappeared and i am in ambience theme............ i did nothing for that to happen

GNOME DOES NOT WORK AT ALL just wall paper and ext. HDD icon on screen ................nothing else at all

COMPIZ keeps crashing and NO notifier appears

I have completely INSTALLED this again and the same things are happening AGAIN

I have tested this for about 3 hrs and here is the BOTTOM LINE

Normal UE3.2 64 bit Gnome classic ......... is great, Very fast..all drivers self installed ......... seems to be EXCELLENT

Gnome / Ubuntu environments are NOT GOOD and once you have tried to use these, it BORKS the whole system

There is nothing smooth and easy about this bug filled, crash riddled embarrassment of an OS
This lasted for 1 nite of messing around/ testing / trying it out Ultimate Edition 3.2

Someone needs to say this out very loud

TheeMahn

Whilst i appreciate all the hard work you have put into these Linux Operating Systems over the years....... and i fully relate to the difficulties life has thrown your way of late and i am very grateful for what you have produced for free over the years

BUT

Ultimate Edition 3.0 , Ultimate Edition 3.0.1 , Ultimate Edition 3.2 Have all been well below the standard you set in earlier releases

Ultimate Edition 2.6 is such a rock solid stable release where everything works AWESOME

BUT Seriously dude, the Ultimate Edition 3 series have simply been NOT GOOD

Mixing D/E 's has been a huge mistake and continuing to **** around / fight against 11.10 ... AGAIN ...... is simply a waste of time

Moebius has a testbed 11.10 OS that has Gnome and Ubuntu and Classic and CairoDock and XBMC and his works beautifully ............. i have 2 screens, UBUNTU on left screen and a cairo dock on bottom of RH screen and it works beautifully ............. same when i set Gnome 3 as D/E

if you hate Unity change to OpenSuse or Debian

you have a team around you, do you listen to any of them
are these people your friends or just butt kissin / yes men
someone should have given you a good bitch slappin months ago
As The Rock says ."BOOTS TO ASSES"
and thats what you need ........ a good wake up call

its better to produce NOTHING ......NOTHING............. than to produce sub standard NOT GOOD

I say all of this as a LOVER of Ultimate Edition, as someone who openly promotes your distro on Facebook, Google +, Twitter and a whole bunch of forums and blogs and social media ..........including ubuntuforums.org
I have kept the faith and believed you would pull thru lifes turmoil ................... but alas you are obviously still struggling........
I do not say all this to insult you, but in the hope you will wake up

Sincerely, Darren Moore

and i sign my name so as not to hide behind any sig......... I stand to be accountable for what i say and believe in

For are you a man ........ or just the ghost of one

Edited by board administration. REMOVED OFFENDING WORDS
Last edited by Blackwolf on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: This MAY only be specific on your production machine....No need to shout your bad news.
delicadaz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 am

Hello again, Delicadaz,
Sorry to see you so angry.I know you have a lot on your plate but I don't think letting yourself get upset over U.E.3.2 helps, anyone, - especially yourself!I was very frustrated to begin with likewise, but I refuse to let a Distro make me angry.( well.o.k. Windows8 still makes me angry!)
The more posts detailing the problems/issues that arise the better in order to find these solutions , and I am sure Thee and the guys are working on resolving these issues as we speak.
As for your six desktops I now have 8!
After having added Cairo-dock to Gnome-classic I now have the option of Cairo-dock with Gnome+effects and Cairo-dock with Gnome no effects.
However, nowhere do I se a Gnome3 side-pane as shown in the screenshots.Having tried to get Gnome3 up and running and then getting only a background with no-borders I was forced to shutdown and logged in to Gnome-classic and installed Cairo-dock to see if it would appear on Gnome3 and at least allow me to restart without having to power-off if I continued to have problems. The result was Cairo-dock now appears under Gnome3 but still no side pane and I have the two extra options mentioned.
Like yourself, however, I have no Gnome3 and using metacity everything is now borked so now I am looking at a new install. Why bother?
Because I am a stubborn little guy who wants to learn as much as I can about the problems even though I am not a techie.
One thing I have noticed in Gnome3 environment is that while the background-image appears and it fits the screen correctly the gnome-desktop though seemingly invisible appears to extend beyond the screen. When I drag my mouse around the borders of the screen at the bottom right it dissapears and gives me four desktop-images side by side, so it could be there is a window-manager down there but it is definately outside the screen-window borders.

I am wondering, and this is one for the tech-guys to answer , if whether these problems are related to specific hardware? I don't think they are, personally, as I know what my Gnome3 desktop should look like from using Dream Multimedia2 and it is more like the screenshots on the forum-page.The latter distro works fine on both my laptop and desktop so thats why I don't think it's a hardware issue.Could it be something gone wrong with the initial upload to sourceforge?I ask that, as I have just received e-mail from linuxcd.org. informing me that U.E.3.2. is now available for order from them on DVD. The screenshots on the forum show that Gnome3 has been working so there has to be an answer somewhere.
Regarding limiting desktop options, I agree it would be more helpful. Alternatively, how about a Gnome version and a seperate Unity version in future? More work,perhaps, but It could make life easier in the long-run.Or just dump Unity?

On a personal note to TheeMahn I would suggest you stop trying to please everyone and do what you think will make Ultimate Edition the best of the best, again.You just can't please everyone, no matter what you do.

One think I would suggest in closing is that for the sake of any curious newbies we stick to one definition of Gnome3, that is, do we use Gnome3,Gnome-shell, or Gnome by definition?Life is confusing enough.
So hang in there Daz-PLEASE- I've missed talking to you on Oz, -don't let's lose touch mate. :D

P.S. I had no problems with 3.0 and 3.0.1 is working perfectly on my machines and faster than 3.0.
I still think at least, some of these these problems may arise from the sourceforge download page, or torrent-download .
Last edited by Billie Cowie on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby synrgy87 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 am

i hope i just have a bad download / burn of 3.2 i dont think its just his machine thats the problem. i disagree on the 3.0.1 comment as i feel that was a very nice release.

seems to be some bad feelings going around and also some useless comments when people are asking for help..... thats not good for a community and can cause the end of an os.
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:07 am

Again, apologies for my fellow admins. We are human and sometimes post too quickly.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby synrgy87 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 am

found the problem...

and the solution:

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby megaptera » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:26 pm

delicadaz wrote: .Mate ............ god you make me laugh........

:D I'm glad I was able to brighten your day <BREW>
megaptera

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby miguelsanchez79 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:40 pm

same issue over here. I have changed windows decorator to metacity and activated ubuntu plugin. No joy with unity. I can only see wallpaper, home folder and computer icon. My main DE is gnome3. Logged there for the 1st time, everything seemed to be ok. Then I logged out, loogged in back to gnome3 and it's gone. Same story, backrground, computer and home folder only.
This was my second attempt to install UE3.2 (two different downloads, burned at the slowest speed)
To be honest I do not get it... hmmmmm
miguelsanchez79
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Dapper Drake

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2