Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Oracle Solaris? Anyone tried it?

Mint discussions

Oracle Solaris? Anyone tried it?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Is the next venture I plan to take on! I am very serious about learning as many OS's as I can. Solaris has been a fascination since days past in Windoze. Naturally I was not half as daring as I am today! I believe I will be able to get a VBOX image so I can study it. Oracle is quite hefty on their language and am not a genius by no means! Since I have only tried one Unix system before, I am very curious of the workings of Solaris. I am also hoping I do not run into some type of subscription. Current monetary situation is terrible! As Solaris seems quite geared towards business and I am heading into that direction with my studies, I feel I need to learn it. I am striving to succeed in becoming a decent choice for an employer. I do not want to re-enter the workforce with only the education I have obtained from school! As many businesses use various OS's I don't want to be left in the dark! Anyway to cut this short and stop killing everyone's eyes, I would like to hear if anyone has tried Solaris and what I can expect! Thanks ahead of time. P.S for Personal usage there is no way you will get me to stop using Ultimate!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Oracle Solaris? Anyone tried it?

Postby pam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:42 am

hi BBOSAK2143

You are free to tinker and play as much as you want with Solaris. In usage there is practically no difference vs linux. There are some commands which are native to it though. Solaris is a highly structured os--- if it aint broken never fix it.

A server os primarily and worked on Sunmicro's ultrasparc chip. Since then Oracle got it on x86_64.
A "elder" sibling of linux with a parentage from unix. Solaris is still strictly unix unlike linux with different and changing standards.

Having used solaris most people and myself would not recommend using linux or any other os on the server but after SunMicro's stint and then giving themselves to Oracle most users and corporations still swore by Solaris on their ultrasparc and x64 servers. But that was then :zomb1

It is still used today (limited) but is a stagnated field. Most newcomers will jump onto solaris once they hear something about a more rigid unix os that can run on their system but other than a thrill and a "toy" -- everyone gives up.

Best thing to do -- do one thing do it well.

The biggest reason why people give up solaris is for monetary reasons. You just cant earn anything more than bread and butter.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Love the animation looks so awesome!I wouldn't want Solaris as a primary in no means. I know there is a lot of similar traits to Linux. Seems every time I have visited their site, everything is geared towards business! Since I worked for a store that used Solaris, I figure it might be something to look into and learn on the side. Not sure what their VBOX image will give, but am hoping to find Office related software to give me some insight. Their site gives me the impression they are using something besides Open Office. Since I have also seen mention of subscription, I have the big question of "Will I be charged?" if I use it after a certain period of time? At first when I saw the 7gig file size between 2 downloads, was swayed against getting it. Now that I see it has an availability of a VBOX image, sounds good! I do appreciate some of your insight and am very hopeful, you can answer what I am asking in my response. It is very apparent to me you have vast knowledge and can understand more of their wording than I can!!!! Is not I am not knowledgeable, but feel some of their stuff exceeds mine by a few years! I only have a year of College under my belt! I feel most of these people and yourself have at least 4, if not double or triple! Will say again, "Is great to be on here with people that are willing to share their knowledge!" Is the most honorable and commendable thing ever!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Micro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Have a couple Domain Controllers at work running Solaris on some older sun boxes. No usb ports, no cd drives. Had to build a jumpstart server before clustering these bad boys. Outside of an enterprise environment, Oracle Linux is pretty popular if you are an employee of Oracle. Not so much otherwise, especially with BSD varients available. But to an Open Source person, I will keep my comments about the devil of all companies, oops, lol i mean Oracle, to my self. Not even worth typing.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pch.shot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:59 pm

I like V box for what it is. It works O.K. in a pinch.
Here: A screenie of Ubuntu 12.10.
Attachments
Workspace 1_001.png
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:54 pm

I thought maybe, just maybe the package I downloaded specifically for that VM from Solaris would install! So far have had no luck! Yeah the BSD's are winners!!! They're swift enough to collaborate with Linux(awesome cooperation!) to achieve greatness for both sides! Guess I was crazy to think I would find about the same advancement! Am a little shocked is not at that point! Is like one of those million piece puzzles! Well, right now just don't have the time for it! I thought maybe within a day or two can be set up decent. Nope, not possible! Will be a project once this semester is up and am in between! Will also say any non 64bit system runs perfect anyway! Is not until you get to the 64bit can you tell what is really happening!!!!! Downloading that entire system? NOT! At 7gigs is just a little more time than would want to spend, also cash wise(has to be burned dual sided!). Not a priority as am coming to terms believing will not be a major factor in most businesses. Sure there will be some, and have to learn it for that. Anyway for now is on the back burner. Am a little more excited about putting a new BSD on VBOX! Yes I give VBOX many many runs! Love OS's is so fun exploring and enjoying different functions! Still Ultimate remains the best and in control of my computer! As it should be! You can't leave control to a fool! You have to have the Master and for me Ultimate is the Master!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Mint