Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Forced Updates

Free discussion on anything Microsoft

Forced Updates

Postby Acaster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Not sure if this shouldn't be in the rants and raves forum but..

I just had bill gates' legacy forcibly update itself

One hundred and thirty updates were downloaded and installed over a three hour period taking control of my computer away from me and making me stay up half the night waiting for this travesty to stop even though I had long ago unchecked every checkbox in Control Panel > Windows UpDate > Change Settings and had already selected the 'Check for updates but let me chose whether to download and install them' option.

Getting to this forum was a struggle because everything about internet explorer had been upgraded and I got a wtf is this ? expression all over my face already. I reserve the right to boldy go where I never went before as and when I chose not at microsoft's whim. If this slows my computer as upgrades occasionally do I got to reinstall everything. I seriously need to find a reliable way to make copies of partitions so the next time bgl goes north I can use the copy.

Did anyone out there ever have this happen to them ?

Just another reason for putting a horizon between myself and bgl althought I can't lose it completely because my favourite word processor, a trusted and capable friend for more than twenty years, cannot be made to run on linux no matter which virtual environment I tried.

Theemahn if you ever do make Ultimate Edition capable of running Wordperfect Office I would be more than happy to pay you for it the same as I used to pay microsoft for their abomination

For now I have changed the update service type to manual in Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Update > Properties hoping it will only run when I tell it to and any microsoft representatives in my vicinity might want to put some distance between us..
Change ain't what it used to be

Ultimate Edition 3.0, 3.5, 3.5.1, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9, 4.2b & bgl
i5-760 @ 2.8 GHz cpu
MSI MS 7613 MainBoard
16 GigaBytes RAM
Hitachi 1 TB & Western Digitial 1 TB HDs
Radeon HD 5570
Acaster
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Forced Updates

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Now you are catching my point about Windows!!!! After all these years they refuse to change that update crap! You know why your setting is changing right??? Any time you choose to update Office it then reflects to the other update setting for the entire system!!!! I might beat my head in severely building these Linux OS's but you know, I have the choice on that! With Windows, you get locked out of the desktop with those updates and have to sit there all day waiting and waiting! There has to be a way to accomplish what you are up to with LibreOffice as is very good and can actually outperform MS Office hands down! Will take a look, but off to work today so have to give me a bit! Am sure TheeMahn could put anything in an OS, just give him a bit! He has this all mastered! Me just learning and only a few years of Linux period! Main reason I moved to Linux is what you are talking about!!!! When is summer or have to go to work, not time to play getting to the desktop!!!! Very annoying and way too old! They need to wake up and change that and allow people to use their computer while is updating. If Linux is so primitive like they always claim then why can you do what I am talking about with it???? They gave us a line for years! They are the primitives, Linux is not!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Did not think of it yesterday as been a bit overdone on some things happening! Life gets tough, rough and hard at times!!! LibreOffice, Abiword are about 10X more reliable than MS Office. I used MS Office in college, kind of a pain with many different aspects, whereas LibreOffice generally functions and outperforms MS Office. Presently in a recent job venture am using LibreOffice Calc and can my boss tell the difference from Excel??? Nope! Other day she asked me to send an updated copy of the Excel sheet! All I ever do is save it in MS Format. Same can be done for all documents. One difference between MS Office and LibreOffice is Impress(Presentations) are able to use MP4's whereas MS is only able to use its own format which leads to having to either have links to the file or embedding it into the presentation. (On a side note: Was hilarious in college when someone would do one of these presentations and file was not embedded, boy were they embarrassed!!!)

In Linux there are just numerous tools for spellcheck and would take me all day to explain them! MS Office, even its newest version is still behind in the times! Personally, do not see their Office utilities/software being of huge importance, unless you have been brainwashed to that effect! Seeing as you have Ultimate, TheeMahn is very precise at what he chooses for software and am 100% sure you should be more than set to put Windows to rest(R.I.P). Personally, I only use Windows to ensure what I am sending is compatible with those that use those dinosaur systems!!!! I know back when I had Ultimate 3.5 had Abiword and LibreOffice of which both were absolutely flawless!!! TheeMahn just knows what he is doing, for me is going to be a long time but am going to keep pushing! Just hope to help is all. Without those on here that helped me I would be nowhere!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Acaster » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 am

I rolled everything back and it's running properly now.

I knew adobe was into changing settings for the entire system but I didn't know anyone else was at it.

Wordperfect Office is based on procedural programming not the oop we are being drowned in today. Corel make it work in bgl so they can sell it but they ditched linux years ago. One simple thing libre and ms offices cannot do is provide page number formatting anywhere near as sophisticated and that's just one example but if you can figure at way to make libre do

Page No, No of pages in chapter, cumulative no of pages in volume, chapter no, volume no simply like this
Pg ?? of ?? Cu ?? Ch ?? Vol ??

in a header I could be swayed.

Well no I couldn't. Decades ago I wandered into a retraining center and said I was an unemployed but highly qualified aircraft engineer what have they got? Business studies or IT. Nine months each plus allowances. IT sounded good to me as an engineer so they put me in a room that had television screens on each desk and by the end of the day I had learned they were not television screens but that they were pcs. Three months later they took me off training and made me teach, mainly Wordperfect, and we have been inseparable ever since. Should have seen the tutors face when he looked over my shoulder and exclaimed
"Macros? You're supposed to do macros in a spreadsheet not wordperfect!!"

Might even have to go bootleg bgl one day in order to keep Wordperfect but I digress.

The update service has somehow reset itself to automatic but the settings are still 'check for updates but let me..' and next on the list
is disabling it in Administrative Tools > System Configuration > Services then reading up on mmc with the idea of possibly taking an axe to the innards but nonetheless getting full control.
Change ain't what it used to be

Ultimate Edition 3.0, 3.5, 3.5.1, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9, 4.2b & bgl
i5-760 @ 2.8 GHz cpu
MSI MS 7613 MainBoard
16 GigaBytes RAM
Hitachi 1 TB & Western Digitial 1 TB HDs
Radeon HD 5570
Acaster
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Windows