Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Dual-boot Problem (PROBLEM SOLVED)

Free discussion on anything Microsoft

Dual-boot Problem (PROBLEM SOLVED)

Postby OnoSendai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 pm

As much as I like Linux and Ultimate Edition, I can't run them anymore. Here's why.
After a recent re-install of Win 7, any distro I install overrides Win somehow. I get the option to boot either one, but when Win is chosen it thinks about it then goes back to the boot screen.
Any ideas?
(No, I'm not getting rid of Windows, lol)
In my partition for Win, the part where system info is kept is first in order, could that have something to do with it?
Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by OnoSendai on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the world, which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain. And we are here as on a darkling plain, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight. Where ignorant armies clash by night...
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: Dual-boot Problem

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:31 am

I would use Rescatux to try and restore MBR.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby pam » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 am

I'd recommend you repair the bootloader for win 7 through the install medium(flash/dvd).
Once bootloader of win 7 allows you to boot into win successfully, next install grub to mbr on the linux installed disk(if you are using multiple hdd's) by using a live medium.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby OnoSendai » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 am

pam wrote:I'd recommend you repair the bootloader for win 7 through the install medium(flash/dvd).
Once bootloader of win 7 allows you to boot into win successfully, next install grub to mbr on the linux installed disk(if you are using multiple hdd's) by using a live medium.

Thanks, but it boots fine now. I restore it with OmniBoot after each attempt.
I always install grub to mbr, (just one hdd).
For the world, which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain. And we are here as on a darkling plain, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight. Where ignorant armies clash by night...
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby OnoSendai » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 am

Xanayoshi wrote:I would use Rescatux to try and restore MBR.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

I use Omniboot live, a multi-OS distro that has many boot-repair options.
MBR is restored, Win boots great. But I know if I install another distro it will mess up again.
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby OnoSendai » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:17 am

I've never done so, but would installing grub to the partition itself fix this?
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 am

Generally, the easiest way to go about it is to install Windows first. The Live Distro's intent was for Windows users to be able to try out Linux, and Dual Boot.

If it is working, then when you install another Distro, choose the manual option, and write over the root.

You need to have Grub installed to MBR.

Alternatively...

You can use Gparted to set this up beforehand and create another partition for your home as well...

So basically...If we have..... let's say 200gb, and we wanted to split, but are a heavy windows User..

Swap-->5 gb

Root-->145(Where we will put Windows)This will be a NTSF or Fat 32

Root-->20(For The Linux OS..Ext4 would be best at this point)

Root/Home-->30(For the Linux Home..ext4)

Now when you install Windows you choose the partition you made..the 145 and let it do it's thing.

Then install Linux, manual install, and install to root and root home, or "/", "/home"

Have the Grub install to MBR.

On reboot, Windows should come up in your Grub List

Later when you wish to change Distros, you basically do a manual install, and write over "/", and assign it home, but do not FORMAT.

Now your Home should have all your things from the past install, write the grub to MBR, it should pick up Windows, and it should be all good..except for all the viruses, trojans, etc

Really, it's all about the manual installer and watching the partitions, even if you do not create a home.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby OnoSendai » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:22 am

I appreciate that, but I guess I wasn't clear.
I've installed many a distro, never had a problem. The partitioning, swap space, everything copacetic. For some reason, it's different this time. I'm running straight Win now, I would just like to throw Ultimate Edition, maybe 3.4.1 lite if possible on it again.
OnoSendai
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:27 am

Another option no one discusses..

You can get an external hard drive..

Whenever I install multi-discs(including external, I disconnect the others and deal with them one at a time.

Prepping beforehand..in Gparted

Swap--5GB
Root-20Gb
Home--Rest

This is pretty mandatory, I have tried to deviate, dual boot, etc..it gets chaotic and everything can get lost, also the home rule from above still applies.

Install the Distro(Linux OS) manually..and write the Grub to the partition.

Then (Unplugged whenever disconnecting, reconnecting drives) put it all back together.

It should always boot to windows normally, what you do to run Linux, is load the external from BIOS, GRUB will take over and it will boot into the external.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 am

The difference between 3.4 lite and 3.4.1 lite amounts to Mate 1.4, or Mate 1.6. In my experience 3.4 lite is the more stable of the 2, and may be why it hasn't been released. Either way, you can take 3.4 lite, and upgrade to 1.6, but it will reset all of Mate and it will have to be set up again.

In terms of releases, there are more on the Horizon, a 3.4.1, and a 3.5.1, but this is facebook thee heresay.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Next

Return to Windows