Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

boot-able USB guide

Free discussion on anything Microsoft

boot-able USB guide

Postby Meister » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Here we will assume that you are using either Vista or Windows 7 to create a boot-able USB.

• 1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as boot-able.
  • 2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.
  • 3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:

DISKPART and hit enter.

LIST DISK and hit enter.

Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.
  • 4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.

SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)

ASSIGN

EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.
  • 5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “H” as my USB drive letter.
  • 6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.

CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.

BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 H:

(Where “H” is your USB drive letter)
  • 7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.

You are done with your bootable USB. You can now use this bootable USB as bootable DVD on any computer that comes with USB boot feature (most of the current motherboards support this feature).

Note that this bootable USB guide will not work if you are trying to make a bootable USB on XP computer.
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Re: boot-able USB guide

Postby bpollen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Good guide. Lazy people like me might opt to use something like WinToFlash. I've used it successfully with a streamlined XP, but it claims it works with "Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8." Not that this is the only choice out there, I would encourage people to do a little research on the subject, and find what they feel comfortable with.

I don't mean to take anything away from your great guide, just sayin' there is more than one way to skin a cat (though why the heck would you want to skin a cat? -- I know the cat would object!)
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: boot-able USB guide

Postby Reticent » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Utilities at PenDriveLinux and SARDU may help; they work with FAT32-formatted usb flash pendrive sticks.
Careful - they make exploring non-Windows options dangerously convenient! ByTheWay, formatting flash-drives with NTFS can be done in XP; it's a little tedious, but may speed XP setup.
PenDriveLinux used to publish MultiBootISO (last version 2.1.5.2), which used GrUB4dOS; easy to add an ISO & update menu.lst <BREW>
For going overboard, there's RMprepUSB.com tutorials, and BootICE ;)
(forum's Glass style helped readability during dark-shift - wish I remembered how to set it!)
Reticent
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other O/S

Return to Windows