Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

New to Linux, any suggestions?

Topics not related to Ultimate Edition.

New to Linux, any suggestions?

Postby dmphotography » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Hey everyone,
I am a total newbie to Linux and I really don't even know where to begin. As far as a background goes, I played with MS DOS back in the day, but that was when I was around 12 and I'm 27 now. Every since then I've used Windows PC and feel it's met my needs for the majority of what I do.

I recently decided to start trying to learn more about educational hacking, AKA white-hat hacking, and found the majority of everything that's done is done in a Unix based OS and almost none of it is Windows compatible. I hope my curiosity isn't going to piss people off, but it's strictly about curiosity and not about being destructive or stealing. It's to basically learn more about how things work and basic exploits to security vulnerabilities all for the sake of gaining knowledge of such.

I decided to convert my laptop from Vista 32-bit (came from the store with it on it) over to Ultimate Edition. I was originally going to set it up to dual-boot, but for some reason I couldn't shrink my partition enough to fit Ultimate Edition on there, even though there was plenty of blank space. So I just installed Ultimate Edition and erased Windows all together and I'll look at trying to add it back later in a dual boot config.

Ultimate edition is a very nice looking setup and while it's still a little bit different from Windows, it's still familiar enough to get around in. My biggest struggle with it so far though is just my lack of understanding about how it's structured and exactly what I need to learn in order to better understand it all. I get it's a Linux based OS, but then Ubuntu is also one of the foundations to it. Then the GUNU thing all comes into the picture and yeah, I'm having trouble grasping how it all ties together. And installing apps on here is something else all together different. It's definitely more complex than Windows, but I'm sure once you grasp it, it's not any more difficult to use.

So I guess my point of this topic is where do you suggest I go to for a better understanding of how this OS works and do so in basic terms, not how the binary code behind it works. Also, something that clearly explains the use of different apps and what not.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks.
dmphotography
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 Gamers

Re: New to Linux, any suggestions?

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:54 am

I'm sorry that this is the first reply to your question, but ... well, hear it goes..
Linux is not more difficult than Windows. Its just different. Its open. You find everything there and per your adjustment. Its not like Windows, in that you have all these hidden files that is tightly secured by means of no software to read what is contained in the files, but rather software that is pre-installed in Ultimate Edition that you can gain access and study all programing involved. Its a fresh breath of air! Nothing is hidden from you ... its all right there. As far as a good local spot to read on what applications do what, I'm not quite sure. The thing I like about Ubuntu and Ultimate Edition though is that at least all the programs are organized into 'Applications'>> Accessories or Games or Sound and Video ...etc. so the use of the programs within those categories are at least somewhat self explanatory to an extent of what their purpose is. If you have a specific request for a M$ Windows comparable software ... just ask.

OK, there I've answered you question in a format that you should be very familiar with coming from Windows... technically right, but absolutely useless to you.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby dontgvadamn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:12 am

I am watching a begining Linux video right now and taking some short hand notes on it...If it would be usefull when I am done I can post the notes somewhere for you. It starts with the basics...basically goes through the entire process of how everything is created in linux and the commands to do it all. It is short hand of the video though so might be sort of confusing, but I am trying to keep enough info and commands so they can be experimented with and tested.
Case: Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Extreme
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Ram: 2GB OCZ 1600 DDR3
Video Card: ATI FireGl v5600
Sound Card: Supreme FXII
Cooling: D-Tek Fuzion CPU waterblock, Danger Den Black Ice GT 360, Swiftech MCP655 pump, Stock NB/SB maximus cooler, 4 120mm Thermaltake Fans, 2 80mm themtake fans
Power Supply: Ultra Extreme 2 700watt
Hard Drives: 1 Samsung 1TB SATA 7200rpm
Bay Devises: Thermaltake Fan controler, Sony DVD R/RW, Pioneer CD/DVD
Display: Dual 22" widescreen
4 bays filled........8 Bays still free

dontgvadamn
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:39 am

One of the cool things about Linux is the documentation and Guides in different forums.
If you want to know how to use a certain piece of software, go to the main Ubuntu forum and search for it, chances are, someone has written a guide. The other place to try is the site that developed it, this can usually be found from google.

Since Google is 100% Linux, it's the bomb-diggity for all thing Linux and should be your new best friend.
Want to find a reasonable replacement for than old fav M$ app, Google Linux name_of_old_app and do a little reading. Same thing applies for the main Ubuntu forums. With over 4,000,000 Registerd users, you can bet someone's asked for a replacement for the same old app you're looking for.
Got a strange error and can't figure out why?
Google it! Doubtful you're the 1st to have that error.
Starting to get the drift? The best place for Linux info isn't in one place but all over the net.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to General Discussion - Birthdays-Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here!