Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Second Life viewer on 64bit running CPU harder than windows?

Discuss *nix based Software here

Second Life viewer on 64bit running CPU harder than windows?

Postby yeva_yelena » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm on 3.2 Ultimate Edition x86_64 with Second Life viewer 'Teapot' (a Kokua) variant.

The performance is AMAZING. I'm absolutely astounded. I have no qualms with the programs performance or Ultimate Edition but I am confused. My processors performance is showing a higher cpu usage than from when I was on a windows 32 installation. Why? I mean, the SL viewer is running on crack and is abolsutely amazing. I don't lag, even when loading into a new and very intense sim, but is the great performance the only reason for my high cpu usage which seems to still be constant even after the sim im in is loaded and i'm idle for hours? On windows, once the sim was loaded and I was the only one around, idle, the system load from SL would die down to around 25%, at least. In *nix, Ultimate Edition, it's constantly over 50% cpu usage no matter what. I'm worried, should i be? after all, the performance is excellent, but moving to 64bit *nix I was hoping for the performance results of the program with lower resources needed.
AMD Phenom II X4 975 B.E. CPU; GA-990FXA-UD3 Mainboard; 2x2gb PC3-12800 Mushkin (1.5v 7-8-7-24) RAM; WD Caviar Black 7200rpm (64mb cache) HDD; Sapphire Radeon HD6790 (1gb) GPU; Azzatek CSAZ-2000/2000R Case; Diablotek PHD850 PSU; Asus DRW-24B1ST Optical Drive; Sigmac 32" 1080p LCD
yeva_yelena
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Second Life viewer on 64bit running CPU harder than wind

Postby yeva_yelena » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 pm

well, i don't know but maybe i feel stupid. seems compiz is taking up half of the processor resources that i thought was only secondlife. whatever compiz is i don't think i need it to run secondlife and that would save energy and processor resources for other multitasking? i'll research it. sorry for the bogus post.
AMD Phenom II X4 975 B.E. CPU; GA-990FXA-UD3 Mainboard; 2x2gb PC3-12800 Mushkin (1.5v 7-8-7-24) RAM; WD Caviar Black 7200rpm (64mb cache) HDD; Sapphire Radeon HD6790 (1gb) GPU; Azzatek CSAZ-2000/2000R Case; Diablotek PHD850 PSU; Asus DRW-24B1ST Optical Drive; Sigmac 32" 1080p LCD
yeva_yelena
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Software