Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Wow... that's strange!! Theme just switched

Discuss *nix based Software here

Wow... that's strange!! Theme just switched

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm

I wonder if anyone else has their theme suddenly switch?
Mine has suddenly switched away from my own Glassy one to what looks like one of the older Ultimate Edition ones with the buttons on the left and so on. I am just about to reboot after choosing my own theme, which has not changed anything yet.
Looking at the window managers and theme managers in the Compiz panel icon shows nothing has changed.

Mmm???
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Re: Wow... that's strange!! Theme just switched

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Well rebooted and theme is back to normal.

Any ideas guys?
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
dougal
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:13 pm

seen this before, quick logout and log back in fixes it.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Meister » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Sounds like a bug with gnome-settings-deamon , as guru said a quit log out and in fixes
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby dougal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:50 am

Mmm... interesting but, it stinks.

Only kidding. If that's all it is and it certainly doesn't happen frequently then, I can live with it.

I wonder if the rock solid expectations of version 3.0 will kick all minor things like this finally into oblivion?

Thanks guys.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:55 am

dougal wrote:Mmm... interesting but, it stinks.

Only kidding. If that's all it is and it certainly doesn't happen frequently then, I can live with it.

I wonder if the rock solid expectations of version 3.0 will kick all minor things like this finally into oblivion?

Thanks guys.

We can make it astronomically rare yes.

Only happened to me once in a year with pc-trends os.

If Anyone can make it go away for good, it is thee in Ultimate Edition 3.0.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dougal » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:41 am

Maybe it is the same phenomenon that sometimes (only occasionally) makes my open windows disappear under the top panel.
The only way I can then access the buttons is to hide the panel.
Opening and closing the window does not reinstate the window to a position below the panel. Only a reboot sees things returning to normal.
Something in the window manager perhaps.
Sad to say but, this never happens in that other OS (ouch, that was sore).

You guys do a fantastic job whatever and I won't abandon Ultimate Edition for anything else.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby dougal » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:50 am

Just as a heads up... I test OSes (or at least that other one) for our own little department in the University where I work. We have to know what little pitfalls it may have waiting for the unwary as we have a lot of students using it along with attaching scientific instruments and data collection stuff of all sorts.
The most annoying thing in the past has been having the same operating system on two supposedly identical PCs and connection through the serial port (bear with me...) then one PC will talk with externally connected equipment but, the other won't.
The next most annoying thing is trying to get across to people that data collection is all about real time when working at high speed collection rates and that working in any sort of system that does not give priority to the ports is a waste of time.
The amount of occasions I have seen Win XP for example (which is still the most common system in our research labs) interfere with data collection but, the researchers won't listen and move to something else, is staggering.
Still they are happy with the results.

Sorry I am rabbiting on here... I'll swap to the chit-chat section of the forum.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby Donut123 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:35 am

Yes I have had this happen to me a few times. At first I didnt reboot, I tried o fix it.
It usually became worse. I messed everything up.I had ti reinstall the entire OS.
Now I reboot , and some things happen you cant explain what happened.
Donut123
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby dougal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:16 am

As a short term work around I simply click on the Compiz Settings Manager icon and click the 'Reload Window Manager'.
This sets my window theme back to my preferred options.
To me this would suggest that something is checking the system now and then for some reason and resetting the window manager to the original install settings.
Although, I quite like the original I can't always get the colours I need to work in for certain environments as some options can be difficult for me to read with the font and background colours set as they are.

So I don't know if this helps but, it is something to do with the default install setting perhaps...

I'll post this as a bug.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Return to Software