Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Bug Report

Help & support for Ultimate Edtion 3.0

Bug Report

Postby eddieb1956 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:46 am

I just reloaded my computer with 3.0 LITE and am very impressed so far but I have developed a problem. I always defer to the experts so here goes. I plugged in a flash drive with some previously existing files on it and proceeded to delete those files, the OS dumps them into the Trash but now I can't flush the Icons out of the trash bin. Also the data space on the flash drive still reports that the free space has not increased. In version 2.0 I had to delete the files from the flash drive then delete them from the trash can before I could utilize the space again but now My flash drive is full and I cant delete the files from the trash bin because "they don't exist" Any input on this dilemma will be appreciated, I have been in love with Ultimate for about 2 years now
Thanx in advance
Ed B
eddieb1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Re: Bug Report

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 am

did ya delete them as root ?

If ya did, they will be in the root trash bin.

If ya did, browsing trash as root won't cut it. I forget the code, but google will find it for ya.

Otherwise, you can delete the hidden lost and found folder. That will wipe all deleted items from the flash drive.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dougal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:49 am

Thought I would try out 3.0 on an old Dell Dimension that I have had Xubuntu 11.04 running on. I can't get the WiFi to work. I have installed the driver as for Xubuntu but, although the settings are there for starting the WiFi as AutoTiscali... my WiFi won't start.

I have treid teh Windows Wireless driver but, it is saying that it is invalid. I am sure this is the same one that I have had working with Xubuntu too.

An ideas. I don't see anywhere for hitting 'Connect' after checking the settings, no message box appears or anything. I have no Wireless connections options list appearing either as if the WiFi card is not being picked up. I could bring the desktop down to the livingroom where the router is housed and hardwire it but, what good will it do. I have already installed the driver that came with the USB WiFi as before but, something just ain't working?

Cheers.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby billhedrick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:41 am

I think the key to this is the phrase "Old Dell Dimension" I have a home built Athlon dual core 4600+ that due to obsolete hardware has issues with 2.9 and 3.0... I am currently running 2.6.1 (LTS) on it. I also had issues with Dell hardware in the past, but I think with older systems you probably don't want to use the newest OS on them. I don't think I would try installing Win 7 on it either.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby dougal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Yes you may be right. I think I'll retrace my steps and see where things have fallen down. I can't help but, feel that if Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite is made for 'older' technology then it should work, shouldn't it?

I'll post here with results.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
dougal
Site Admin

Postby billhedrick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:08 pm

see, there is a difference between "lower powered" and "older" Tech.

The built in sound card on the new $50 mobo is different that the 8 year old Sound card.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 pm

As I have said before, it remains fact today.

Packages and kernels for newer builds of linux or based on a 3 to 4 year revolving window.

The recommended and intended life span of hardware hasn't changed in 25 years.

3 years - that is the windows the manufactures intended for the product to live.

Yes it will and can live longer if treated right, but a moot point when the world progresses forward so fast that older tech becomes to slow to cope.

Well that is only true with windows haha.

We have this wonderful distro base called LTS . Long term support, for this very reason.

Because of this 5 to 6 year old systems are still kicking it today.

That also is a catch 22, hardware does degrade over time. 3 year passes as degradation sets in, 5 years and degradation hits really hard.

I have tested MANY 4 to 6 year old systems and found a 45% to 65% loss in over all hardware performance.

Point is, newer on older isn't always going to work. Every generation of kernel looses some support to make way for newer.

You still have LTS based for older systems, but keep in mind at some point you will be forced to replace.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby mcarollo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 am

Old vs low power.
I love it.
Here at work I have the best of both worlds. I have some really new hardware, and some really low powered old hardware. Now, I know my low power stuff does not run Ultimate Edition (as in currently, but it might be able to), as it has server responsibilities, but it does run Debian 5. Now don't forget, this is a Compaq ProLiant 3000, Pentium II 300MHz, 512MB of RAM and six 18GB SCSI2 hard drives on a RAID card. Top ofthe line when bought in 1998, but still kicking as a gateway, DNS, DHCP, file server. It is one of those machine that I would like to die, so I can get it replaced, but rock solid. Definitely not one I would run Gamer's Edition on, but I think that is definitely a good example of old hardware vs. a low powered but faily new Pentium 4 rig. I just like to tell people I have this crap, it still runs, and as long as it does, management will not replace it.
------------------------------
Dell Precision T3500; 24" Dell U2410
Intel X58 with Xeon W3565 @ 3.2GHz
24GB RAM; ATI FirePro V4800 (1GB)
320GB Main Drive; 2x2TB Storage Drives
Over 50TB of iSCSI SAN Storage
mcarollo
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 am

dougal wrote:Thought I would try out 3.0 on an old Dell Dimension that I have had Xubuntu 11.04 running on. I can't get the WiFi to work. I have installed the driver as for Xubuntu but, although the settings are there for starting the WiFi as AutoTiscali... my WiFi won't start.

I have treid teh Windows Wireless driver but, it is saying that it is invalid. I am sure this is the same one that I have had working with Xubuntu too.

An ideas. I don't see anywhere for hitting 'Connect' after checking the settings, no message box appears or anything. I have no Wireless connections options list appearing either as if the WiFi card is not being picked up. I could bring the desktop down to the livingroom where the router is housed and hardwire it but, what good will it do. I have already installed the driver that came with the USB WiFi as before but, something just ain't working?

Cheers.

This link may or may-not help you...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144398
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby dougal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:56 am

Sorry folks I have been away for a couple of days. I will try something tonight.
On a different note: why do I have an extra box around the Google search box in Firefox.

Hold on... I know I should direct this to the Firefox or Google forum but, it only happens with Ultimate Edition since 2.9 so I don't believe it is a Firefox or Google problem.
If I run Firefox and Google through VirtualBox I don't have the extra box. If I run Firefox and Google on Xubuntu I don't have the box and so on...

Is there perhaps a setting to be altered?
It doesn't affect the operation of Firefox or Google but, it is annoying that it is there.

Cheers guys n' gals.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.0