Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

No Ultimate Edition after install

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

No Ultimate Edition after install

Postby cowboytech » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:08 pm

I installed Ultimate Edition 2.9 on my computer by putting it on a second hard drive, and not on the drive that contains my Windows 7 Professional. When the install was complete, I allowed the system to restart as requested. When it finished POST, the system booted right into Windows 7 without any menu asking which system to boot to.

Any suggestions?
cowboytech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: No Ultimate Edition after install

Postby triple777 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Disconnect the Win7 hard drive.

Get a quality sata dock and some extra drives.

After working with virtual machines, dual boot, yada yada it is sometimes easier just to make life simple, one computer and infinite number of Operating Systems all at the pull of a drive.

If you didn't already know Win7 is nothing but a big caching machine keeping a history of everything you do thanks to DHS. Yeah sometimes we need it because we have to support it at work but don't use this as your primary home OS. You would be better off using XP if you must use Windows. Microsoft and the powers that be have too many people brainwashed that Windows 7 is better, it's not!

I moved my wife over completely to Ultimate years ago and haven't reformatted her machine once. Before that she was messing up Windows PC's every 3 months - And her PC is still faster than the day we bought it with Windows.
triple777
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:49 pm

well the easier way is to change the boot order in BIOS. There is probably a grub file on the Ultimate Edition drive with an option for Win 7
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:01 am

nether (sorry billhedrick) no offense intended.

easy way is super grub2 recovery disk

select detect any os , pick the Ultimate Edition 2.9 and load.

go to synaptic and select reinstall for grub-pc and grub-common (some times needed to completely remove grub-pc and grub-common before a fresh install)

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

http://download.berlios.de/supergrub/super_grub_disk_hybrid-1.98s1.iso

I am more interested in how and why this happened.

Am I to understand you disconnected the windows drive while installing Ultimate Edition 2.9 and did NOT make use of grub2 ?

If so, BAD IDEA.

Let grub do its job, turns out worlds better with multi boot systems.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby billhedrick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 am

yea, guru that should work, I remember trying that with a bollixed install. I am currently using grub 1.99x myself, so I can't speak to grub 2. Re-reading his original post, I didn't get the sense that he had removed the first HD tho. I suggested changing the boot order because I had a similar problem with my last install, I installed 2.6.2 on the second drive and it didn't show up in the grub when I rebooted (the grub from drive 1 took precedence) I swapped the order and voila! Everything showed up. I thought of supergrub disk, but I am a fan of trying the least intrusive fixes first.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Killer boi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Wouldnt the simplest way be to just change the boot order in the bios to the drive with Ultimate Edition installed? I've had that problem before, and its because grub is installed on the 2nd hard disk instead of the first, meaning it still just sees the windows 7 drive as the master drive and the Ultimate Edition drive as a slave, changing the order should allow grub to take over and allow you to boot into both.
Desktop
AMD FX 8350 @ 4.5ghz
16gb intel extreme ram @ 1866mhz
AMD R9 390
2x 21.5" Gateway 1080p screen
Ultimate Edition 4.6 64-bit, Sabayon 15.11 64-bit, Windows 10 x64

Laptop
Intel n3540, quad core 2.16ghz
4gigs of ram
intel HD graphics
Windows 10 64-bit
Killer boi
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby billhedrick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:26 pm

thats what I thought killer boi. If nothing else, I would try that first, can't hurt
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby nesnfsn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Why not open the computer's case, change around the drives so that the 1 with Ultimate is on the primary controller, and the MS stuff on the secondary controller?

It should boot into GRUB and allow to boot into either OS. Test it, then close the case.
Hackintosh OS X 10.7.2 / (WAS) Ultimate Edition 2.9 x64 (ON HOLD for 3.1/3.2)
Asus P6T, 6GB DDR3 RAM / PowerColor HD6850 Fanless GPU / Intel i7 930 CPU
1 500GB Seagate SATA-II HDD, 1 WD 2 TB Green SATA-II HDD
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby billhedrick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 pm

why not open the case? well because you can accomplish the same thing in BIOS, without opening the case.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:19 pm

We all have our ways, they are for the most part all sound methods.

My way would force grub to install to the RIGHT first HDD set in bios.

Switching it in bios will do the same.

All depends on what he is most comfortable with I guess.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9