Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Dual boot install FAILED

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Dual boot install FAILED

Postby snydley100 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 pm

I have been using, for awhile, a laptop with 2 hard drives and Windows7 on HD0, HD1 is empty. I decided to install Ultimate Edition 2.8 to HD1,( successfully), but upon reboot there was no dual boot menu, even though during the install I selected the custom partition option and selected HD1, the laptop boots directly to U.E 2.8.
I checked under "Places > Computer", and a 160G hard drive shows up with Windows and all my old files, but there's is no way to boot to it. How do I repair this? I tried going to the terminal and typed "sudo os-prober" , it returned,

ls: cannot access /var/lib/os-prober/mount/boot
Boot: No such file or directory

I'm doing this from my home directory.
I've done this before, in the past with Windows XP and Linux Mint and it set up Mint on HD1 and dual booted automatically.
The only difference with this install is that I installed Ultimate Edition from a flash drive and not a CD.
Please help, I need this to work and don't want to break things any further! :oops:
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Dual boot install FAILED

Postby JOHNNYG » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Boot into Ultimate Edition and run sudo update-grub in terminal and see if it finds your Other OS ! :ugeek: Then reboot and you should have both Ultimate Edition And the other OS in grub menu ! Dont fear ! If it can be seen while in Ultimate Edition we will get ya what you need ! There are several things to try, we will start here ! :ugeek:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby snydley100 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:32 pm

JOHNNYG wrote:Boot into Ultimate Edition and run sudo update-grub in terminal and see if it finds your Other OS ! :ugeek: Then reboot and you should have both Ultimate Edition And the other OS in grub menu ! Dont fear ! If it can be seen while in Ultimate Edition we will get ya what you need ! There are several things to try, we will start here ! :ugeek:

This didn't work, here is what I get in the terminal after I type sudo update-grub:

Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
ls: cannot access /var/lib/os-prober/mount/boot
Boot: No such file or directory
done

I've done this in the past with Windows XP and Linux Mint when, after an install, XP didn't show up in the menu. In that case from the terminal I typed:

sudo os-prober
update-grub

It found XP and added it to the menu ok.

Funny thing about this is there's no menu at all. In the "XP" case after adding Mint to my computer XP didn't show up in the menu, BUT I HAD A MENU! This time, no menu at all. I wonder if I can reinstall Grub2 and it'll correct it?
Anyway, I appreciate any help you might send this way!
Thanks,
Snyde
Thanks for the help.
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 pm

FYI it is

Code: Select all
sudo update-grub2

that should do the trick.

You MIGHT need to do a fresh install of grub-pc via synaptic package manager.

also, kernel 2.6.35-28 is out now to.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby snydley100 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:26 am

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:FYI it is
Code: Select all
sudo update-grub2

that should do the trick.
You MIGHT need to do a fresh install of grub-pc via synaptic package manager.
also, kernel 2.6.35-28 is out now to.

sudo update-grub2 didn't work for me either. I did eventually get it working by installing Ultimate Edition to HD1 and installing Grub 2 there also. Then I used EasyBCD with Windows 7 and added Ultimate Edition to 7's boot menu. I would have rather done it the other way around and used Grub2, but I couldn't get it to work and didn't want to spend any more time on it. The important thing is I can dual boot now and can learn Linux at my own pace, using Windows 7 in the meantime.
Thanks for your help,
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 am

Setup at least 3 dozen dual boot setups with windows 7 and ether unity oz or Ultimate Edition 2.8 & Ultimate Edition 2.9.

Not one has ever failed with grub2.

Would be most interested to hear details on your setup.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby snydley100 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Setup at least 3 dozen dual boot setups with windows 7 and ether unity oz or Ultimate Edition 2.8 & Ultimate Edition 2.9.

Not one has ever failed with grub2.

Would be most interested to hear details on your setup.

Yes, it's very strange. I setup Ultimate Edition 2.8 on my desktop with Windows7, to dual boot, and that went fine.
This particular setup, that failed, is on a Toshiba laptop model X205-Sli4 with NVidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics. Last year I had upgraded it from the default OS, Vista, to Windows7, then later on added Linux Mint ver. 9 to dual boot with. That all installed without a hitch. I really don't know why Grub 2 didn't install properly with Ultimate Edition 2.8 THIS TIME, the funny thing is though, is I couldn't get it to install from a DVD, I even burned another copy and when that didn't work downloaded the iso again and reburned another copy, it still wouldn't install. I kept getting an error, something about either my DVD drive or hard drive wasn't working correctly. I don't remember all the details, there was so much I tried. I eventually found a program,(unetbootin-windows-502.exe) to install the iso to a flash drive and installed it with that. I no longer got the error, but for some reason a dual boot menu wasn't installed. One thing I DO recall is that I didn't see an "advanced check box", option during the install to install Grub, BUT there was a path that allowed me to change which drive and partition to install it on. I selected sda. I did it twice that way, but no menu was installed. I eventually deleted Ultimate Edition from my second drive, sdb, and restored my Windows7 boot, and once that was fixed reinstalled Ultimate Edition from the flash drive to sdb and selected the path for grub to sdb.
I then used EasyBCD to add Ultimate Edition to my Windows boot menu. That's how it is now, working great.
Hopefully I didn't leave anything out, I tried so many things I'm a little confused at this point but this is the gist of it.
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm

pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God