Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Compiz and Themes

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Compiz and Themes

Postby TheGrandFinale2001 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:36 pm

I think I figured out what's causing the problem, but I don't know what the solution is. With 2.8 and compiz enabled, sometimes when I log out and then log back in my themes would be shot to hell in a sense. It almost looks like my was in root, like the plain icons and controls as if I was browsing everything in root. And nothing I did to try and change the appearance would work until I restarted the whole system, then it would be back to normal. But if I log out and back it would do the same thing. Now I disabled compiz and tried this and so far my themes and everything have not change no matter how many times I log in and out. So I'm just wondering why and how compiz is doing this and how to fix it? And if compiz isn't causing the problem then what possibly could? It's not a huge deal just really, really annoying lol

Samsung P2770H 27" LCD Flat Panel Monitor 1080p
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366
Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Patriot Viper Memory RAM 12GB DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda XT 2 TB 7200 RPM
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Logitech Gaming Mouse G500
Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510
TheGrandFinale2001
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: Compiz and Themes

Postby blakefreak » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Happened to me as well.
It was one of the kernel updates after I installed nvidia drivers.
For some reason you have to go through all updates before installing graphics drivers or else there are unusual bugs that pop up.
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheGrandFinale2001 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Wow, and that's exactly what I've been doing. Installing graphics first before everything else lol. I'm gonna try the opposite this time, I will let you know how it goes. Thank you

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI
TheGrandFinale2001
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TheGrandFinale2001 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 am

Man, I had high hopes for this. But with no luck. I reinstalled 2.8; updated everything without touching the graphics but it's still acting up. I really thought this would work too. If you think of something I did wrong please tell me, I'm open to anything

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI
TheGrandFinale2001
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dougal » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Have you tried running without the nVidia drivers?
I have read that some machines just will not run Linux nVidia drivers to any great extent.
I have an ATI card and it runs great with the drivers that came installed with Ultimate Edition 2.8. I enabled the ATI driver and the odd graphic glitch showed up but, nothing serious. On the whole I could run the system very well with or without the ATI driver enabled but, because of the slight glitch with the Bootsplash screen and the odd video played from the DVD drive running into trouble with dropped frames and stuttering, I prefer not to run the ATI driver and the system runs very smoothly with no dropped video frames and I also use my laptop form photo editing large files which takes a bit of power and I have no problems.
Ripping DVDs too is no problem without the ATI driver enabled.

Try living without the nVidia driver to see how things go and also make sure you have your compiz settings set correctly to work in conjunction with your theme manager as I have found this to give the odd problem.

If you still have problems there are others on the forum that know a lot more than I that I feel sure will be willing to help further.

Good luck.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby TheGrandFinale2001 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 am

dougal wrote:Have you tried running without the nVidia drivers?
I have read that some machines just will not run Linux nVidia drivers to any great extent.
I have an ATI card and it runs great with the drivers that came installed with Ultimate Edition 2.8. I enabled the ATI driver and the odd graphic glitch showed up but, nothing serious. On the whole I could run the system very well with or without the ATI driver enabled but, because of the slight glitch with the Bootsplash screen and the odd video played from the DVD drive running into trouble with dropped frames and stuttering, I prefer not to run the ATI driver and the system runs very smoothly with no dropped video frames and I also use my laptop form photo editing large files which takes a bit of power and I have no problems.
Ripping DVDs too is no problem without the ATI driver enabled.

Try living without the nVidia driver to see how things go and also make sure you have your compiz settings set correctly to work in conjunction with your theme manager as I have found this to give the odd problem.

If you still have problems there are others on the forum that know a lot more than I that I feel sure will be willing to help further.

Good luck.

I actually have tried without the driver, and everything worked without any problems. That was pretty much last solution because without it compiz doesn't work and I don't have all that eye candy I love so much. Or can you run compiz without it? I wasn't sure that you could. Do you know of a work around to have compiz work without any drivers?

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI
TheGrandFinale2001
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TheGrandFinale2001 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 am

Also do you think it something to do with the fact I'm running x64?

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI
TheGrandFinale2001
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby deviltalk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 am

Method2001 wrote:Also do you think it something to do with the fact I'm running x64

nope does not matter. if it was an older system i'd suggest what i saw on the other forum.
install the nvidia driver from safe mode. then reset.
if that does not work.... have you tried compiz fusion icon. i use it to restart my window manager, and to control themes (to a degree) also look at the programs you have for themes, and make sure you do not have multiple programs trying to control the themes, they will fight and its not pretty, you need to choose.
i'm using ubuntu tweak for my desktop, (different pictures each desktop) but cant have icons. i use emerald theme to control the windows theme, but there are other gtk+ gnome programs in 2.8 that also do the same you need to look into that.

good luck.
Intel(R) Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
512 KB L2
1 g ram

deviltalk
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8