Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

where are programs located?

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

where are programs located?

Postby snydley100 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:08 pm

I was using Firefox on the web and clicked on a link to a png file, a dialog box opened up and asked me if I wanted to run a program or save the file. I wanted to open GIMP and view the file, but I didn't know where to browse for it. Where are the programs located in Linux? In Winblows I'd just browse to the subdirectory under Program Files and find the executable file I wanted, but I don't have a clue how to do this in Linux. Will someone enlighten me?
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: where are programs located?

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:03 am

Top panel should be a menu applications / places / system

Applications is a organised list of installed apps or programs, same thing.

Places are your folders and system is settings and admin etc.

If the menu is missing, right click the panel. Add to panel then select custom gnome menu.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby billhedrick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:05 am

try going to usr/share/applications
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby snydley100 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Ahh, that's where they're located!! Now I know where to browse to open an application when prompted to by my browser or other app.
Thanks,
Snyde
billhedrick wrote:try going to usr/share/applications
snydley100 wrote:I was using Firefox on the web and clicked on a link to a png file, a dialog box opened up and asked me if I wanted to run a program or save the file. I wanted to open GIMP and view the file, but I didn't know where to browse for it. Where are the programs located in Linux? In Winblows I'd just browse to the subdirectory under Program Files and find the executable file I wanted, but I don't have a clue how to do this in Linux. Will someone enlighten me?
Thanks,
Snyde

snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby megaD » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:55 pm

I had more or less the same question. I was looking for the Wolfenstein Enemy Territory pk3 files.

I found them and also the etmain BUT it seems this is not where all the auto-downloaded stuff went. I downloaded some mods and custom maps and even menus. I want to get rid of these clan menus but I can't find the according pk3 file.

It's for sure not in usr/share/games/enemy-terriotry ...
megaD
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8