Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Editing the boot menu

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Editing the boot menu

Postby megaD » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 am

I had some trouble installing Ultimate Edition yesterday. The installer told me all the time there is a problem with the DVD and that I should clean it. It created the partition and then it crashed and failed to copy the files. I'm glad it didn't break the entire HD. It turned out it was the DVD-ROM drive that caused the problem. Then I tried to install it from my DVD-writer and the installation worked.

Now I think I have some obsolete entries in the boot menu pointing to the failed install.

How can I remove them?

Also I would like my Windows 7 to boot by default after some time instead of Ultimate Edition (in case my wife wants to use my desktop PC ;) )

Where can I edit the boot menu? How difficult is it?
megaD
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Re: Editing the boot menu

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi megaD,

If you open a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and run
Code: Select all
sudo grub-update

it will remove any entries that are not valid. Keep in mind that it is normal to have more than 1 kernel listed in the grub menu that way if a new kernel doesn't work right you still have the next oldest one that you can boot to.

At the end of the timeout, the default entry determined in /etc/default/grub will be selected.
So if you want it to default to windows that is where you would change it. Use this command to edit it
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

If the default option is set to "saved", the last kernel/system successfully booted will be selected and run if no input is made.

You can find a lot of info. about grub 2 and how to change things here:
The Grub 2 Guide
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby megaD » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks 2hot6ft2. I'm going to try that.

Happy new year :)

Edit: The update worked. Left Ubuntu as default (I don't want to mess to much with this boot loader).
megaD
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:37 am

megaD wrote:Thanks 2hot6ft2. I'm going to try that.

Happy new year :)

Edit: The update worked. Left Ubuntu as default (I don't want to mess to much with this boot loader).

You're welcome, and glad you have it straightened out now.
I don't mess with it much anymore either, once I have it themed I leave it alone.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8