Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with Broadcom drivers

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Help with Broadcom drivers

Postby throese » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:00 pm

Well, I can't find them with the Additional Drivers app, not in Ultimate Edition at least. I want to be able to have Internet access with my Ultimate Edition 2.8 (I honestly love Ultimate more than regular) and I can't seem to get the drivers for Internet like I can on the reg. system. Yeah, it seems some broadcom stuff came pre-installed, but I un-installed it to see if it'd fix the problem, it didn't. New to Ultimate Edition and installed it alongside Windows 7 a few days ago.

Suggestions and Advice are greatly appreciated and welcome.

I've been using Linux since some time in July so I'm not a complete and total new person to the Linux world. I just don't have the experience most other people have.
throese
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.2

Re: Help with Broadcom drivers

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:14 pm

need detailed system info.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby throese » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:37 pm

System summary is in the attachment.
Attachments
system_info.png
throese
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Hardware info, not software.

What wireless card?

Model ?
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby throese » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Attachment, but a .tar.gz file
Attachments
Hardware_Specs.tar.gz
(358.98 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
throese
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 pm

http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/articles/fix-broadcom-wireless-problem-for-ubuntu-10-10.html

Step-by-step to fix Broadcom Wireless Problem for Ubuntu 10.10:

1. Download & install 2 patches
* sta_5.60.48.36_2.6.33_kernel_patch.zip
* sta_5.60.48.36_2.6.34_multicast_kernel_patch.zip
2. Extract the downloads to /usr/src/bcmwl-5.60.48.36+bdcom (as admin)
3. In terminal run
sudo patch -p0 < patch
4. Then
sudo patch -p0 < patch_hybrid_multicast
5. You'll probably need to install dkms, ect.
6. Run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
7. Reboot & done, everything should be working

All the wireless drivers you need are on the CD under pool restricted installing dkms, fakeroot, patch, and then the bcmwl-kernel-source package from the live-cd if you are using a 2.6.35 kernel or later.

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.2.tar.gz

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/hybrid-portsrc_x86-64_v5.60.246.2.tar.gz

1. Setup the directory by untarring the proper tarball:
Example:
# mkdir hybrid_wl
# cd hybrid_wl
# tar xzf <path> /hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.2.tar.gz
2. Build the driver as a Linux loadable kernel module (LKM):
# make clean (optional)
# make
When the build completes, it will produce a wl.ko file in the top level directory. If your driver does not build, check to make sure you have installed the kernel package described in the requirements above.

If you want to compile your own kernel, you have to get and install all the .deb files from v2.6.36-rc8-maverick, to install two .deb files, one is the image, the other is the headers. You don't need the headers for normal use, but you do for compiling the kernel.

Sorry, but there are no elegant fixes available, like always. All fixes SUCK AZZ.

Your PC is clearly quite OLD. 400 SB have not been used in years. I do show that your laptop should support Ultimate Edition 2.6 or 2.61 native.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby throese » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 pm

Well, TheMahnn has posted on the main page about an updated (and possibly better version) of Ultimate Edition. 2.6.1. And, it's my dad's old laptop. He got it in 2006, and it originally had Vista. I had to put up with Vista till earlier last year when he bought me Windows 7. Then I figured I'd download Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (recommended by a friend) then I had a few probs with that (fixed them eventually) then another friend of mine introduced me to Ultimate Edition. So here I am now speaking to you about it. I'll just DL 2.6.1 and see how that works out. Hopefully that has hte broadcom fixes, but still, it's odd because Ubuntu 10.04 LTS worked just fine and easily DLed the broadcom drivers and the wireless card in my laptop worked just fine like it does in Windows. Ultimate Edition 2.8 sits in my comp now, but I had to DL Open(Shot/Spot) because I couldn't figure out how to cut out peices of a video, but I did it after DLing Open(Shot/Spot).

Anyway, plugging lappy into router directly through Ethernet cable gives me Internet access. Currently using Windows 7. Will wait till 2 AM to DL the new Ultimate Edition.
throese
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 pm

yep seen the same thing with 10.1 LTS and older broadcom wifi cards. Works in 10.1 LTS (Ultimate Edition 2.7) but not in Ultimate Edition 2.8 10.10 .

Quite possible Ultimate Edition 2.7 might do just fine.

There is also Ultimate edition OZ Unity. (very decent OS) Based on 10.1 LTS with massive adds and tweaks.

http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/index.php

You need to be a member to download.

If you let me know what problems you have with 10.1 LTS I might be able to help you avoid them from the start.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby throese » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:30 am

Well, I'm wondering why there isn't a torrent DL option for Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 How long will it take before one is available? I have to use BitTorrent, otherwise it'd take hours for the OS to be DLed.
throese
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 pm

then you have massive slow Internet.

Takes me 23 min to download from sourceforge

Torrent takes 11 min more.

Average mind you.
pclinuxguru