Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with tidying interface... [SOLVED]

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Help with tidying interface... [SOLVED]

Postby dougal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 pm

You can read what happened below but, basically I have disabled the ATI graphics driver to cure my problems.

Hi guys - I need a little help with tidying my Ultimate Edition 2.8 interface at start-up.

Everything works as is but, when the system is starting 'X' and the desktop environment things are a little messy.

I use Cairo-dock GLX as my main panel and when the system loads it is everything associated with Cairo that is messing things up till everything is loaded.

What happens is that the top-left corner, the bottom-left corner and the bottom-right corner of the desktop as well as the centre where the Key-ring password appears all appear at more or less the same time but, on top of the boot-splash. Then the desktop wallpaper appears in place of the boot-splash but, still with the messy corners and then after a few moments the corners tidy up into their respective applets (Desktops in one corner, sound applet in another and the top-left hand square disappears to be replaced by the Cairo-dock at the bottom of the screen).
The Key-ring password box then finishes last to complete a nice neat looking desktop ready to go but, all would look so much better if rendering of the applets was to go on in the background to appear complete once the wallpaper is displayed followed by the Key-ring password box for my Internet.

Is there a way to check perhaps what order things are loading and then to re-arrange that order along with wait commands?

Thanks again for any input, all are welcome.
Last edited by dougal on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Re: Help with tidying interface...

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Curious, I also use cairo dock. I have never noticed this at all.

Not sure if I would know how to help unless I could see what your talking about.

Any chance you could share a few shots of your desktop setup ?

This is how mine is setup with cairo.

Screenshot.png

Mine has always loaded flawless, even better with cairo then docky.

Like I said, just Curious.

I am guessing that you have some items off the dock and on the desktop.

This always ended bad , worse with win 7 and desktop gadgets.

Best to leave all items on the dock or just create another dock to add them to.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dougal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks for that Guru. I have returned one of the applets to the Dock and deleted the other as I never used it. It was the Desktop applet showing what each of the default four desktops may be used for.
This has cleaned up the desktop start enormously and I am left with only a slight delay in getting rid of what looks like the Cairo-dock start window behind the Key-ring password box. I can't see it or get to it in time to move the Key-ring box or I would confirm.
I can live with this though.

Couldn't help but notice that your screen seems very wide - what res are you using?
I have 1920x1200 which equates to 16:10 but, yours looks like the superwide format used in some films. Unless it is an optical illusion.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestion.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
dougal
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 am

1366x1024

Screenshot.png

Ya not so wide.

To loose the key ring box, delete all saved passwords , log out and back in. Connect back to your wifi and when asked to creat keyring password . Leave it blank, it will then ask if you wish to keep using unsafe networking. Select yes, you will now never see the keyring box again.

passwords and encryption key tool can be found in ,

Ultimate Edition 2.7 /applications/accessories

Ultimate Edition 2.8 system/preferences
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby dougal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 am

The suggestion hasn't quite worked for me.
I followed what you said but, after giving my wifi password to connect I don't get asked for the keyring password but, I also can't get connected.
The applet keeps trying to connect and seems to loop into asking me if I want to connect.

I am using my other Ubuntu environment to email to you just now.

How do I get the Keyring authentication back as this would seem to be critical. It is the only thing different from before that I can see.

If all else fails it will be a test of my back-in-time back-up. Isn't this fun...

Also, I have employed the ATI driver today as an experiment to see what the differences are once more; I have better definition of things like Window frames and font edges and my screensaver (rss - Skyrocket) definitely runs smoother but, the driver upsets the bootsplash and although, I still have to prove it to myself, I suspect that playing DVDs will not run smoothly. I have made an image file of a DVD and can mount it using Gmount - iso and then play the image file off the had disk no problem but, I think the extra strain of playing through the DVD drive will show up stuttering as before when I had the ATI driver employed. When I reinstalled and didn't use the driver all video runs very smoothly from DVD drives as well as hard disk and Internet but, the screensaver and Window frames and font edges are not quite as sharp and the 'Glass' effect in the Emerald theme stand out more with the ATI driver.

Looks like I will have to compromize and decide what I want from the system. It seems like I can't have it all.
Any comments?

Thanks.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Yes you can have it all

No , keyring is not needed for wifi, I don't use it and have no problems with 5 systems in house and several client systems.

It is more likely you are to far from your modem and have a pore connection.

If I may, your trying to much at once. Wifi first, the rest one item at a time.

I have always been able to get Ultimate Edition 2.8 to do it all flawless with not much effort.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby dougal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for the advice.
ImageImage

dougal
Site Admin

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8