Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Cant use HDD in windows

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Cant use HDD in windows

Postby ADPdirty » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Guys i tried to format my HDD so m any times so many different ways and its still read only when in windows.
I assume that IF (and its true) ubuntu can read it then it must be permission issues.
I haveno idea how to erase all those crappy linux permissions from hard drives file system information so it wont be read only no more.

Please help me, i dont want to throw away my 200GB (even with few bad sectors ) HDD for permission reasons.
Firefox+Adblock+MyWot makes Windows 7 obsolete "OS"
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Re: Cant use HDD in windows

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:52 am

ok just a quick mention i replied on your last post which was for this very same question why did you not reply instead of creating a new post which clogs up the forums.

ok thats over and done with which program are you trying to format it with? what HDD is it? and what are you formating it to? :D
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby ADPdirty » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 am

sorry ill try not to do that anymore
It was formated by disk utility comes with UE2.8
Formated to ntfs and tried not formating to anything (blank) but simply create partition.
Tried to delete partition and create it in windows
CANNOT do it in windows. Only ubuntu can read/write this HDD :(
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:23 am

install gparted
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gparted
wipe the HDD don't even create a partition
load up your windows disk and format it like that.
i have never had these issues and thats how i usually format my HDD :)
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:30 am

Worst case, dowload the tools from the HDD maker to low level format back to factory.

Best case wipe in Ultimate Edition 2.8 with gparted and do not format.

Partition and format with windows .

Worst case is if you have a buggerd HDD on your hands only.

Rare, but I have seen it before.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dougal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Just to confirm what the others are saying... I too use GParted (Administration menu) and delete the partition as said and then start install of Windows if you must leaving a reasonable amount of disk space on the second partition for Ultimate Edition if this is the way you want to go.

Shame you don't take the plunge and dispose of Windows altogether. With the exceptions of a few exotic hardwares I have found nothing that Ultimate Edition can't handle in some way that Windows can.

Of course if you must run Windows apps and Wine doesn't do the job for you then you have little option.

Good luck. You should be on a winner now.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby billhedrick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Now if you want a disk that you can access with both Ultimate Edition and windows, thats fairly easy. Format it in FAT32 and both can see it. I have my main storage HD used for iTunes (windows) and Amarok (Ultimate Edition) it's a FAT format. Alos Ultimate Edition and most lunxii can read windows formats with no problems. If you want to use NTFS, I would fomat it in windows to avoid permission issues.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby ADPdirty » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:03 am

I deleted partition with gparted
i then started windows and HDD is read only still
Look at the picture below.
HDD's.jpg

I then started UBUNTU and because this HDD was automounted by NFTS configuration tool system halted and i was not able to login till i was pressing random keys on my keyboard to make it go (so i could at least reply to this post) Black screen showed me something about CTRL+ D for some mode and asking for password (not sure what it wanted)

Formating it to fat32 will not change its status from read only to "what ever".
Low level format application (killdisk) cannot complete formating because it has bad sectors at the end and it failes to write 00 to those sectors so it does not change its read only status even when 99.9% of all clusters (or what ever u call those) are 00's

I think ubuntu somehow has this HDD assigned to its own permissions and i dont know how to remove those.
Ubuntu can use it and windows says its write protected, my answer is permissions are set strictly for ubuntu or linux OS

Oh yeah right at this line linux crashed and i had to force restart. Something was making my HDD crunch (not sure which one but sounds like the OS filesystem HDD)
Thank god Firefox saved my typing so i could simply press Submit once i got my computer started.
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:11 am

Sorry man, but that disk is done.

Calling this one a dead disk or close to it.

I have seen this before, you can waste weeks on it. In the end it will lead to nothing good.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dougal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 am

If you use the Windows install disk and opt to reinstall windows but, stop at the partition allocation point you will be able to do anything you want with the partition/disk.
This gives you much more access to the disks than from within Windows itself.

I have been here before and it should work for you just the same way.

Once you have successfully formatted the disk how you want. Simply remove the Windows disk and reboot the machine.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8